How to stop the Cycling Carnage on SA's roads?

Bonus

Just to get myself ready for Friday ... what side of the yellow line should the bike be?  :whistling:

when enough knobs in cages hoot at you ... just maybe they think you are on the wrong side, but what do they know in any case ....  :devil:

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when enough knobs in cages hoot at you ... just maybe they think you are on the wrong side, but what do they know in any case ....  :devil:

And that is where the discussion in this thread has gone full circle. If you going to cycle as the law says and be a good citizen, you are going to p!ss off motorists.

A pet peeve is okes rolling through the red lights in Camps Bay. Shouting criminal at them gets them to sometimes just stop half way through the intersection. 

I was commuting home a few weeks back and stopped at a red robot, Next second I hear a locked brake and a few choice words. Some tjop was obviously fairly close behind me and expected me to just sail through. He sommer tunes me "what the f#ck you stopping for?" I just responded "because its red". He rode off(through the red) and I have never seen him again.

Do you know that cyclist is required to ride left of yellow line? That is the shoulder or emergency lane.  Cyclist should ride as far left as possible of the the roadway(and that ends at the yelllow)

are you trying to confuse us with FACTS ?  :eek:

I was commuting home a few weeks back and stopped at a red robot, Next second I hear a locked brake and a few choice words. Some tjop was obviously fairly close behind me and expected me to just sail through. He sommer tunes me "what the f#ck you stopping for?" I just responded "because its red". He rode off(through the red) and I have never seen him again.

Probably dead.

are you trying to confuse us with FACTS ?  :eek:

Meant to say NOT required to be left of Yellow -fixed 1st post

Do you know that cyclist is NOT required to ride left of yellow line? That is the shoulder or emergency lane.  Cyclist should ride as far left as possible of the the roadway(and that ends at the yelllow)

(i) to the left of the left edge of the roadway; or  IE, if yellow lane, then to the left of yellow line(left edge of roadway)

(ii) on the roadway, keeping as close as practicable to the left edge of the roadway.

(i) to the left of the left edge of the roadway; or  IE, if yellow lane, then to the left of yellow line(left edge of roadway)

(ii) on the roadway, keeping as close as practicable to the left edge of the roadway.

:eek:

:eek:

Wait until they realise that it is a European photo ... right-hand-drive .... and the cyclist was supposed to stay RIGHT ....   :eek:   :devil:

Wait until they realise that it is a European photo ... right-hand-drive .... and the cyclist was supposed to stay RIGHT ....   :eek:   :devil:

At least I understand why so many cars are driving in the yellow lane in SA.

Had one of two young boys (around 15 or 16) on their MTBs turn left in front of my car as I was passing them in a quiet section of Fourways. He stayed very close to the pavement, but he should have slowed down or stop before turning. The second one went behind my car. They should have stopped as it was a stop for them. If I veered close to the curb I would have hit him whilst doing 60km/ph. I drove the rest of the way home shaking as I thought the kid was going to ride in front of my car. 

Parents - I beg you to teach your kids the rule of the roads and explain that any small accident can cause life long consequences. Maybe get them to study a learners book before letting them ride their bikes alone. Really felt like stopping and giving them an earful. 

Ahh Ok

So we can decide == "or" 

So many people own and ride their bicycles on a regular basis, but how many know the actual traffic act regarding where they should be riding or the safety lights/reflectors required for road use https://safelyhome.westerncape.gov.za/sites/safelyhome.westerncape.gov.za/files/assets/Documents/provin13ex3lang_exgaz7194eax_0.pdf

Instead everyone just argues about the right to be there. I have no disagreement but I see it on a daily basis, cyclists riding in the middle, 2 abreast, not using the cycle lane etc. 

The big difference is that when you want to drive a car, you are supposed to study certain laws/ road signs etc(implementing these is a diff story) and then right a test bla bla bla.

What if cycle stores distribute the basic laws regarding cycles lanes, 2 abreast, stopping at stop signs etc and so on as a flyer with every bike sold? Maybe this would help educate or make people more aware of what should be done.

Thank you Eddy

Must admit I did not think about reflectors on my commute bike ... have the lights and reflective clothing etc, but will make a point of adding reflectors.

PS - these are by-laws applicable to the Western Cape.  Wonder what, if any, rules or bylaws are applicable to other provinces.

They say with age comes wisdom because of more accumulated experiences etc but this is my take on a very serious subject.

My biggest fear is being hit from behind so i went and bought the brightest rear light I could find.[RED of course because I could not find a BLUE light}" The Red /Blue topic I shall leave for another day"

What a HUGE, huge difference ; you just owe it to yourself and your Family to make yourself as visible as possible , from as far as possible.

Apart from that always be as polite and friendly as possible and keep your cool.I make a point of stopping at every Stop, making eye contact and greeting or nodding at the occupants of the Vehicle. 

Try it , it works for me ; lots of fun experiencing the interaction.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Eddy

Must admit I did not think about reflectors on my commute bike ... have the lights and reflective clothing etc, but will make a point of adding reflectors.

PS - these are by-laws applicable to the Western Cape.  Wonder what, if any, rules or bylaws are applicable to other provinces.

If you have lights, it should be sufficient imo.

https://www.arrivealive.co.za/Cycling-Rules-of-the-Road-and-Road-Safety

Pedal Powers version

http://www.pedalpower.org.za/safe-cycling-tips/

If people are following pedal powers take and modifed version of the law, then it is understandable where the confusion comes in.

Like this one specifically

According to SA traffic laws, bicycles are regarded as vehicles, which means you have every right to be on the road. Ride assertively and make eye contact with drivers who may cross your path.

Having said that, most motorists seem to think that cyclists should ride as far left of the road as possible. This is usually not the best place to cycle, for various reasons:

– the far left of the road often has glass and other debris in it

– there are often ‘cat-eyes’, gutters or drain covers which could cause you to fall

– the road camber is often worst near the edge of the road

– riding a metre in from the side of the road often will force a vehicle to cross the centre line in order to pass you. This often stops them from passing when there are oncoming vehicles. Having a metre ‘free’ to your left also means you have space to swerve should a vehicle pass too closely

– if it is windy, having some space on your left helps should you get caught in a gust

Archived