First Ride: 2017 Specialized S-Works Epic 29 World Cup

Bike Hub Features

I don't know. I don't even look at bikes that cost that much...it just happened that it caught my eyes.

I have more than enough sense to know that R140k for a bicycle is just ridiculous. It's got nothing to do with affordability, I just would not want to be seen on one...unless my skill and performance justified it, but then again whose does? I see enve wheels, and the only thought that goes through my mind is 'a fool and his money,' but that's just my opinion (which you kinda ask for now). ;)

Don't get it. I pay my bills, save up for retirement and have enough spare cash for holidays, charity and beer... why am I a fool for buying an expensive bike?

Yes, I am stuffing hopeless on the bike - but a fool?

I was hoping others might enjoy the bling - ultimately the technology filters through (down) to all the "clever" people!  So you should actually appreciate all the fools on expensive bikes - they are the guinea pigs!

Off to shop for Enve's - have a great weekend.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. I don't even look at bikes that cost that much...it just happened that it caught my eyes.

I have more than enough sense to know that R140k for a bicycle is just ridiculous. It's got nothing to do with affordability, I just would not want to be seen on one...unless my skill and performance justified it, but then again whose does? I see enve wheels, and the only thought that goes through my mind is 'a fool and his money,' but that's just my opinion (which you kinda ask for now). ;)

I did ask for your opinion, thanks.

But I can't say that it makes much sense. On one hand you say the Epic Sworks quality is below standard, but you cannot tell us what this standard is.

I am not trying to change your opinion on the Epic, I really am not. I am just asking that you substantiate your statement that it is below standard.

Don't get it. I pay my bills, save up for retirement and have enough spare cash for holidays, charity and beer... why am I a fool for buying an expensive bike?

I was hoping others might enjoy the bling - ultimately the technology filters through (down) to all the "clever" people!  So you should actually appreciate all the fools on expensive bikes - they are the guinea pigs!

Ai, are you're going to get upset over some random person's opinion on the internet? But if the shoe fits, go ahead, play into the marketing hype. Send more $$$

It's a pleasure and thank you, now I've to hear/read another "26 for life rider" bragging about his conquest of beating 29er s-works mamils on his local trails thinking it's some accomplishment and that 26" is just as fast as wagon wheels.

Edited by stefmeister

I did ask for your opinion, thanks.

But I can't say that it makes much sense. On one hand you say the Epic Sworks quality is below standard, but you cannot tell us what this standard is.

I am not trying to change your opinion on the Epic, I really am not. I am just asking that you substantiate your statement that it is below standard.

I don't recall drawing comparisons, and if it came accross that way it's my mistake. I have never done a side by side comparison of any bicycle brands.

I pointed out that I don't agree that their manufacturing is superior based on the fact that I have seen numerous surface imperfections on their frames over different models and that I expect near perfection on a R40-60k product. I'm not bashing the brand, I'm on my 2nd Spez, and neither am I a fanboy - of any kind/brand whatsoever, except Lagavulin and Marmite - Oxo and Bovril is just gross. 

I was hoping others might enjoy the bling - ultimately the technology filters through (down) to all the "clever" people! So you should actually appreciate all the fools on expensive bikes - they are the guinea pigs!

Some times there are just chips on people's shoulders!

We need people to buy enve rims and then sell their old Zipps on here to us okes still slumming it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that colour the only choice?

Don't smaak it.

Then again, I prefer black bikes.

There's also this one

post-1575-0-89624100-1486353328_thumb.jpg

I've got a Epic Marathon 2015 which was the same 11m Carbon frame as the S-Works for that years models. Yes I can see the carbon layer/sheet or whatever you want to call it, but is it an imperfection?

From what I have read regarding building carbon frames it definitely is not. And they also didn't cover the bike in 10 layers of paint to hide it, as that would be counter intuitive to building a light bike. Any top end carbon bike will look like that before the painting process begins. From my experience it is a lot more visible on the matt black finishes than on the gloss finishes(as the blue one in this review).