Cyclist down Tokai Road 5th Feb

cadenceblur

yeah. I know... 

TBH Gen, I dunno. But I suspect that the amount of normal peds being killed is far higher than cyclists. We're just more attuned to seeing cyclist deaths than peds, as we identify with them more. 

Regarding ped deaths & cycling deaths & moto deaths (hell, ALL deaths on the road, for that matter) I think it's a struggle against general apathy, lawlessness & education. Singling out cyclists as a group is in my opinion missing the point, as it's the same causes across teh spectrum, excluding drunk peds, obviously. Yes, cyclists are hit and killed. But so are peds. So are other road users. ALL because of the same factors.... 

The root cause of these accidents should be the focus, in my opinion. Cell phones. Awareness. Drunken driving. Apathy. Education. 

Along with that, there should be adequate policing across the board, so that there's another dissuasion from doing those things that increase the possibility of an accident occurring. 

:thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

And when you unpack each of them, tactical roll out plans are not difficult to create. Its a motivation thing.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems we all going haywire here and we yet to get an update or identity of the injured riders... Really hope they recover fully!!!

Sometimes as a cyclist i just wish all smartphones stopped working and everyone had to go back to a 3310, I have been lucky on a number of occassions where I have just been missed by a motorist who has swerved/veered into my path because they looking at their phones!! Back in the day, No FB, twitter, Insta, whatsapp etc etc there were ALOT LESS road incidents!!

I just wish more people would be more responsible and before replying to msgs on whatsapp or checking fb or twitter, Just think, what if someone I love is killed by a motorist not paying attention to the road but rather to their phone!!

I feel the more technology has evolved, the more selfish people have become!!!

RANT OFF...

Again, I pray the cyclists knocked down heal up fast....

I think another thing that these guys are missing is seeing the Hub as a tool and ally.

If I was them, I would be using the peeps on the Hub to help push agendas and safety plans......

So thats three accidents with cars in one weekend. 

Patch, I dont know what you expect them to do? There is no quick fix, must they jump up and down making a fuss that will accomplish nothing? 

I know we love to hate on PPA and CSA, but there is not much they can do to stop retards in their cars hitting cyclists.

They were out again on chappies preaching to motorists about stay wider of the rider this weekend. 

I'd love to know the thinking here.

How many cars stop and engage? Or is it just a PR effort to show cyclists they are doing something?

Maybe it would be better to be at the toll booth plaza and the start on Noordhoek and at the day pass turn around TELLING motorists what the law is?

Clearly the wishy washy share the road message is being ignored.

One metre. It's the LAW.

This will have high impact for sure, but part of our mission MUST be to win over some motorists.

Blocking their already crappy commute to work will do the opposite of this.

CSA and PPA have numbers and budget on their side, and should be very loud about his.

They are the ones who can lobby to get laws changed. We can put pressure on them to hurry this the **** up!

Careful Patch. You'll be lumbered with icycling and myself as having an agenda.

I DO HAVE an agenda: I don't want any cyclist hit by a motorised vehicle while riding a bike on a public road. I make to apologies for this agenda.

Terrible news.  RIP.

ALMOST 45% of all SA road deaths are pedestrians and NO-ONE gives a flying ####.

No plans of action, no national outcry, no demonstrations or marches.  NOTHING.  NADA.

Go drive anywhere else in Africa and the same mentality prevails (Nam, Bots, Kenya, Zam etc).

Although it pains me to say it, if i am honest with myself, we're not going to win this one.  

Eish, Monday morning and again a post about another 'hit and run'. I hope the cyclist is okay. Any news?

Anyone know who these cameras belong to? Should be able to find the vehicle if there's a decent description

https://www.google.co.za/maps/@-34.0641942,18.4471338,3a,40.3y,238.68h,94.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sw3NYXMBNRXePOPpCd2Rhlg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

They are most likely are used for vehicle licence plate recognition. There a quite a few organisations that run these camera systems around the peninsula. The cameras are usually accompanied by some signage but not always. One of the largest in the Constantia Valley is www.verifier.co.za .

I'd love to know the thinking here.

How many cars stop and engage? Or is it just a PR effort to show cyclists they are doing something?

Maybe it would be better to be at the toll booth plaza and the start on Noordhoek and at the day pass turn around TELLING motorists what the law is?

Clearly the wishy washy share the road message is being ignored.

One metre. It's the LAW.

Well for one, it gets the local heroes on their side.

Yesterday riding along towards the Kommetjie/Black Hill intersection from Masi some D000000000SS was more interested in his phone than the road as usual. He was angling towards the pavement. As I rode past I hit his bonnet with my hand. I FULLY expected to become a hood ornament for the next 5km.

Motorists are a BIG problem. most of them pay NO ATTENTION AT ALL to the road.

That is it.

Today driving against the traffic on Rhodes Avenue the traffic was very slow all the way from Kirstenbosch to Southern Cross Drive going to town.

I ran out of toes and fingers to count number of people looking down at, I assume, cell phones.  Tomorrow I might set a GoPro up on my dash. It was around 1 in 4 drivers. Just not acceptable.

Here is a campaign that we need in SA.

Mobile Operators, CSA, PPA, Gov should all be backing something like this:

Bliksem Patch - look like I peeled onions now

Gonna send this vid to my contacts

PPA and CSA should take on Government on this.  The classic setup for example of taking the minister of Transport to court as he is not doing anything about road and cycling safety.

Didn't PPA DEMAND swift action last year to the taxi incident in the yellow line? I wonder what follow up they did.

No I don't. I know.

Didn't PPA DEMAND swift action last year to the taxi incident in the yellow line? I wonder what follow up they did.

No I don't. I know.

Don't know.  In my book however demand and action are two completely different things.

Bliksem Patch - look like I peeled onions now

Gonna send this vid to my contacts

Well done, you are doing something to help.

Its not just PPA, Gov, CSA etc that miss do stuff, we can do things too.

Archived