Cyclist down Tokai Road 5th Feb

cadenceblur

There are no bike sheds at schools anymore as quite frankly there is no need for them as children do not really cycle to school. There are a myriad of reasons why and safety (busy roads and bike muggings) appears to be the main reason.

Here in the platteland we still have bike sheds at the schools..[emoji106]

Okay they are mostly empty..but they are there [emoji53]

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have a lot more faith in the standard SA road user than I do. A few years ago I was standing in the front of our garden when a couple came walking by with their 3-4 year old on his new bicycle. It is in a residential area with basically no pedestrian walkway. Along comes this vehicle hooting and screaming at the kids that was too close to the road, not reducing speed, not passing wide. To top it all, the driver was a women. One tend to think that women would be more carefull where children are involved. This little kids suffered the same abuse and aggresion you and I have to deal with.

That is disgusting hey.

There are no bike sheds at schools anymore as quite frankly there is no need for them as children do not really cycle to school. There are a myriad of reasons why and safety (busy roads and bike muggings) appears to be the main reason.  

I know Bishops still has many bike sheds and are used often.

You have a lot more faith in the standard SA road user than I do.  A few years ago I was standing in the front of our garden when a couple came walking by with their 3-4 year old on his new bicycle.  It is in a residential area with basically no pedestrian walkway.  Along comes this vehicle hooting and screaming at the kids that was too close to the road, not reducing speed, not passing wide.  To top it all, the driver was a women.  One tend to think that women would be more carefull where children are involved.  This little kids suffered the same abuse and aggresion you and I have to deal with. 

That is just terrible hopefully Karma get the better of people like this - or is it the IQ of 70?

Probably shouldn't admit it here, you see how badly I write English - my old high school!

The thing is if it become "law" my opinion is then the general public of sufficient IQ have to respect it and probably the child on the bicycle would much prefer to also be in a car but they force to cycle - which over time save the motorist a lot of traffic time by fewer cars on the road. Maybe less road rage etc The dream world

There are no bike sheds at schools anymore as quite frankly there is no need for them as children do not really cycle to school. There are a myriad of reasons why and safety (busy roads and bike muggings) appears to be the main reason.  

Sad isn't it

Yeah - the bikes are included in the school fees :ph34r:

That is good, maybe it's just the schools I know then.

That is good, maybe it's just the schools I know then.

The Pretoria school my kids went to only had one little shed for the odd one who cycled to school.  The rest was removed for teachers parking.

Here in the platteland we still have bike sheds at the schools..[emoji106]

Okay they are mostly empty..but they are there [emoji53]

Maybe one day they will fill up again, would be nice.

Maybe that is how it should be and you told you have to ride to school at least 3 times per week.

Maybe that is how it should be and you told you have to ride to school at least 3 times per week after English written lessons

Fixed :ph34r:

I don't think it's safe to let girls ride to school.

Nope there has been the odd attempted kidnapping in Pretoria and boys are not any safer.  Being a father of two daughters, letting my girls going to school alone was simply not on the cards.

For what I will have paid in school fees by the time my children leave their school, it should probably be small cars...

Archived