Durban Ultra

IceCreamMan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks awesome. Keen to do it next year. I have signed up for the Sun City one. 

Good luck with your race! Will be cheering you guys on from a distance. 

Will be missing this one!!!

Keen but cashflow is a little tight...!!!

Good luck to all racing on the day, wil be following the thread for some insight and advise

IceCreamMan, just wondering if you did the EL 70.3? If so, isn't this event a bit soon? 

Edited by EmJayZA

IceCreamMan, just wondering if you did the EL 70.3? If so, isn't this event a bit soon?

Hi. Nope no EL for me. But would not be too soon. Have done half distances on subsequent weekends before. Might do the prestige, buffelspoot an Durban 3 weekends in a row.

Jeez. I have a little brick session for tonight, and it's going to take 2.5 hours. Not sure how I am going to manage getting out of bed tomorrow, never mind doing consecutive tris... 

• 3 weeks later...

I just looked at the entry list for the Ultra....only around 400 entrants which is a huge pity considering the location and the cost.

When IM hold an event in Durban they charge 50% more, have around 3000 competitors and all the hassles that goes with it like drafting etc....

Why is that? What magic art do IM have that has them turning ppl away and others battling to fully subscribe their events?

I just looked at the entry list for the Ultra....only around 400 entrants which is a huge pity considering the location and the cost.

When IM hold an event in Durban they charge 50% more, have around 3000 competitors and all the hassles that goes with it like drafting etc....

Why is that? What magic art do IM have that has them turning ppl away and others battling to fully subscribe their events?

For me personally will be sticking to my training program for IM in PE rather than doing the ultra and having the few days of additional fatigue that comes with, even though there is plenty time to recover before PE.

I think the biggest thing is knowing about the events. If you search for Tri events, its flippen hard to get a list that has all of them.

I didn't even know that there is one in Sun City, until someone told me a few weeks back. But if you just search for races you come up with nothing

​Whereas Ironman has gotten the advertising of the event right

I would be doing this instead, it's just the timing is a little off. Next year maybe if I can fit it in before the IM in April. I am finding the cost differences very interesting though. This is good for us - the consumer always wins when there is a little competition. Hopefully in the next few years this event picks up. 

Please do a full race report for us. 

And, where are the Olympic distance events? Only ones I can see are the IM5150 events. 

Edited by EmJayZA

I would be doing this instead, it's just the timing is a little off. Next year maybe if I can fit it in before the IM in April. I am finding the cost differences very interesting though. This is good for us - the consumer always wins when there is a little competition. Hopefully in the next few years this event picks up. 

Please do a full race report for us. 

And, where are the Olympic distance events? Only ones I can see are the IM5150 events. 

keep an eye on trinity sports http://trinitysports.co.za/ they usually have events in Nov, Dec and Jan

Edit: I see they have a race on the 23 April 2017

Edited by shaper

For me personally will be sticking to my training program for IM in PE rather than doing the ultra and having the few days of additional fatigue that comes with, even though there is plenty time to recover before PE.

Same, otherwise I would be racing.

I signed up for this race only because a few training programs I found online said a 70.3 a month before IM is a good idea.

I'm glad though, I prefer the Ultra events. Even though I am still new to this sport the Ironman branded 70.3 is so crowded it can be quite frustrating. The Ultra's seem to attract fewer but keener people. 

I signed up for this race only because a few training programs I found online said a 70.3 a month before IM is a good idea.

I'm glad though, I prefer the Ultra events. Even though I am still new to this sport the Ironman branded 70.3 is so crowded it can be quite frustrating. The Ultra's seem to attract fewer but keener people. 

agree, I think a half distance a month before is a good idea and its good training.

And have to agree on the second point too, I have done more Ultra events than IM events and have always enjoyed them and found em to be well organized. I am sure this one will be no different. Only 380 entrants as I can see for the Ultra. pity really.

looks like sunday will be a great day weather wise although Saturday and sunday appears to have rain about but no worries, its always warm in Durban