Try before you buy - my reccomendations for testing and buying a new bike

Kaggel

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go for the Giant.......

Anyway all those bikes are good and the difference is minimal, no need to overthink it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyway all those bikes are good and the difference is minimal, no need to overthink it

You'd be surprised how much of a difference is between them even though the numbers are largely similar.

Kaggel,

Your advice is spot on!

Riding a few bikes on a familiar trail helps so much in making the right decision - never mind the plethora of bike reviews out there.

Maybe I don't have a happy trusting kind of face because I struggled to find demo bikes (granted that was 2 years ago)

Marco at Action Cycling was the real deal in the end. (Sadly no longer in business; but I won't go there...)

Well, can't take the suspense anymore: Giant or YT bro?

Edited by goatman

I'm not buying plane, but I do feel like testing bikes is something people often don't think about. I had a rad time and hit helped my process. If you ever want to buy a plane though, give me a shout

It's exciting to buy new expensive toys like [emoji594] and [emoji468] and I share your enthusiasm, but this seems over the top.........you not buying an ✈️

Awesome write up! So what did you get??

I ended up with the bike I least expected, a new Enduro Elite. Having come from the previous gen Enduro 29er I fully expected to go for "less bike". The new version ticked the boxes for me, but only after I put in a ride to set it up

Then it's clearly not for you... ;)

BTW. This is a perfectly rational way of getting exactly what you want in a bike. Especially in a world of Enduro bikes where they're all great but have slight differences in temperament

Myles you are spot on. There were no bad bikes, but they were different. You read things in reviews and can't really understand them, but then you ride a few different bikes in quick succession and the differences become apparent.

Evil or knolly ?

Oh and great read and advice. Wish I had done what you said could of saved myself a fortune .

Evil - I tested The Following and The Wreckoning. Just wow!

I didn't think about it really until one of my mates suggested I try his bike or rent a bike while I waited for my insurance. This got me thinking and when I asked around the bike shop guys were like Ja sure we have demo bikes. Mind blown

The difference is noticeable and worth investigating. The ultimate performance (ie time up or down the hill) may similar, but each bike had a noticeably different way of delivering its performance. I've only listed the guys I had a good experience with - I'm not here to name and shame. A particular bike I tested was only really amazing when I hit warp speeds. And unfortunately I'm just not that fast. It's a good bike that reviewed VERY well, but didn't work for me. I wouldn't have learned that unless I tested it

Lol.

Just for clarity. I tested more than just the brands I listed and thanked. Some of my experiences were less than ideal, but I'm also not here to name and shame. It is more about the process and a special shout-out to the okes that were awesome.

In the end (against all my expectations) this is what I got>

http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/2017-specialized-enduro-1020120-23.html

My criteria was 29er (even though I tested some 27.5 bikes just to see). I wanted 130-160 travel in the back with around 140-160 in the front. Brenton did suggest I try The Following which was a flippin riot!

I just thought I would like to share a valuable experience I had

????????????????????

Except you'd have bought another 5 bikes just to see.

never would of,not if I had done it that way .

Probably 10 ????????????????