Based on what folks have been saying it sounds like Transition could really do with a series of demo days to let the bikes do the talking..

I'm pretty sure that ran a demo tour last year but if you have a local dealer near you (like Stoke in CT) they will arrange any of the models for a demo to come down from Jozi for a weekend. 

My frame has been sitting in a box at stoke suspension for 8 months after I broke my wrist just before it was built. ☹

2 more weeks, can't wait to thrash it.

I rode the smuggler at a Dirt merchant test day at Wolwekloof in Pretoria .I rode the same trails that i have ridden with my other XC bikes before .Although the bike is a Alu frame and slightly heavier i never felt it .I was curious about the climbing ability and surprised that climbing was as good or even better with the more upright seat post position  .The bike inspires confidence when descending ,so much that i rode drop offs for the first time that i never had the courage  to ride before  before .It takes a few corners to get used to the wider bars and direct steering ,but all makes this a go to ,all day .all-terrain bike 

This bike is one of three on my wishlist for the next bike. I will have to go and visit Dirt Merchant to see what the bike is like and if I can maybe organize a ride some time on one. Wolwespruit does sound like and excellent spot to try it out, see what it does on those steep climbs and give it a thrashing on the rough stuff going down. Definitely time to break the XC mindset...

I would also like to demo this. Even do a review. I might build it slightly more conservatively to keep weight down. What does it weigh as is?

There is a unique breed of mtbikers that don't fit into the typically polarised stereotypes. They wear lycra, or baggies, or whatever they feel is more comfortable on the day. They will hang with the XC whippets, on Saturday, whip the Enduro rippers on the Sunday and ride the 24hours of Oak Valley the next weekend.

• You only have one bike.
  • You enter 40-80km races
  • The weight DOES matter
  • The downhill performance must not come at the cost of climbing.
  • However a stock XC race FS bike just does not cut it when boosting rollers, hitting jumps at speed or flying down singletrack at 40kmph.

Sign me up!

I would also like to demo this. Even do a review. I might build it slightly more conservatively to keep weight down. What does it weigh as is?

There is a unique breed of mtbikers that don't fit into the typically polarised stereotypes. They wear lycra, or baggies, or whatever they feel is more comfortable on the day. They will hang with the XC whippets, on Saturday, whip the Enduro rippers on the Sunday and ride the 24hours of Oak Valley the next weekend.

• You only have one bike.
  • You enter 40-80km races
  • The weight DOES matter
  • The downhill performance must not come at the cost of climbing.
  • However a stock XC race FS bike just does not cut it when boosting rollers, hitting jumps at speed or flying down singletrack at 40kmph.

Sign me up!

You know where to find us. You'd be a pretty much ideal candidate for one of these things, just let us know if you want the L or the XL. We have both.

You know where to find us. You'd be a pretty much ideal candidate for one of these things, just let us know if you want the L or the XL. We have both.

Sick.

Yea I guess there's also just something about ripping it up on a short travel bike.. slightly riskey

Like a chick going to church with a short skirt and high heels..!! Not that I'd know hahaha

Sick.

Yea I guess there's also just something about ripping it up on a short travel bike.. slightly riskey

Like a chick going to church with a short skirt and high heels..!! Not that I'd know hahaha

Ride it back to back with the Phantom as well, just for entertainment value. Pretty sure you'll pick the Smuggler though...

Yeah last time I looked, that was what Pyga framesets were going for.. Oh and speaking of Pyga, anyone else put a Oneten29 next to a Smuggler and squinted a little..? Rad either way although the smuggler seems to have gone further down the longer slacker road.

Based on what folks have been saying it sounds like Transition could really do with a series of demo days to let the bikes do the talking..

My 2c...I have had both the Pyga OneTen and the Smuggler..now the YT Jeffsy.

Smuggler way more Enduro/trail shredder than the Pyga...I ran exact same components on both ...just swopped the frames out...The longer..slacker is way more to my liking..I ran a 140mm Pike instead of a 130mm and had no issues

Don't be fooled by the 115mm travel this bike can do impressive things and definitely encouraged me to try stupid things!!

I have had both the Pyga OneTen and the Smuggler..now the YT Jeffsy.

I wouldn't mind a stable like that!

Sounds like someone should put pressure on A-Line and Phia to set up another Banshee / Transition Tour. I'm still super keen to see what the Scout is like as well now that Tokai is back open! 

One super great thing I liked about Transition is they are owned by two really great guys. I emailed them when I was thinking of getting my Smuggler as I had a Transition Bandit that was awesome and wasn't sure why I was going to swap out one 'same kinda bike for another' or if I should have headed towards the Scout / Patrol. 

I just emailed a few Q's to their general email addy and didn't get a reply for a day or so. Then I got a email from Kyle Young, one of the owners, with a very considered reply and then a follow up a few days later. Then a week or so after the I get a text from Kyle checking to see if I'd got the Smuggler and if i was stoked. 

For sure it could have been the intern but still a nice touch.