Chain dropping off large chainring to outside when freewheeling

brucem76

So as of late, my chain often slips off the large chainring to the outside when I'm freewheeling over bumpy ground. Even when in a middle gear on the RD. All shifting is working great, and while pedalling everything is solid. Why would the chain keep falling off in freewheel?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

open up the freebody its not engaging completely

clean it up/out, regrease lightly, WIN!

close mate had the same issue, changed his entire drivetrain, that time 1x10 to 1x11 turn out to be his freebody full of gunk, cleaned it up, problem solved, atleast he scored a 1x11 upgrade

New training motivation ... you should not stop moving your legs  :whistling:

On a more serious note, sounds like the tension on the chain might be a problem.  The moment you stop pedalling the chain slacks as the DR does not keep the tension on the chain as suppose to.

No clutch. I recently added a link to chain because I went from 36t to 42t largest cog on the back, and jockey wheel was catching on largest cog even with B screw fully in

2x. Chain never comes off small chainring, only drops outside the large one

OK so I changed my chain back to original length. Now if the chain still falls off, it points to the B screw being fully screwed in leaving the derailleur in an unworkable position. I'll report back

2x. Chain never comes off small chainring, only drops outside the large one

check your front chainring for wear 

check your front chainring for wear

Can you tell anything from these bad photos?

0a4ae87d9cecc806a30734f1729bd7c7.jpg

f3e1c2185ebf1b66ccb96523aa28fecd.jpg

All of the above mentioned are possibilities for your chain comming of, but as you mentioned that you have lengthened the chain and the problem started occurring since this change it might srem that your Jockey does not have enough tension to keep the chain tightly on the ring.

Also look at the gap on the outside between your chain and the front derailleur when the chain is on the big ring and smallest in the rear, if this gap is too big the front derailleur won't be able to keep the chain in place.

Lastly, what size is your small ring in the front, why did you opt to put a range extender on in the back instead of going smaller on the ring in the front?

All of the above mentioned are possibilities for your chain comming of, but as you mentioned that you have lengthened the chain and the problem started occurring since this change it might srem that your Jockey does not have enough tension to keep the chain tightly on the ring.

Also look at the gap on the outside between your chain and the front derailleur when the chain is on the big ring and smallest in the rear, if this gap is too big the front derailleur won't be able to keep the chain in place.

Lastly, what size is your small ring in the front, why did you opt to put a range extender on in the back instead of going smaller on the ring in the front?

Thanks. It's 24t on the front....

I suspect you have a Shimano derailleur and according to Shimano they do not advise going bigger than a 36tooth on the cassette as the body of the derailleur is not long enough to accommodate a bigger ring.

Replacing the B-screw to accommodate a bigger ring is a modification and it works to an extent, but like most modifications it will give you difficulties somewhere.

Hence me asking the size of the small chainring, I would rather have changed the 24T to 22T ring first. I believe this will have been a cheaper option aswell.

I suspect you have a Shimano derailleur and according to Shimano they do not advise going bigger than a 36tooth on the cassette as the body of the derailleur is not long enough to accommodate a bigger ring.

Replacing the B-screw to accommodate a bigger ring is a modification and it works to an extent, but like most modifications it will give you difficulties somewhere.

Hence me asking the size of the small chainring, I would rather have changed the 24T to 22T ring first. I believe this will have been a cheaper option aswell.

Thinking the same.

Another problem ( although it should not be) is that the limit on your big gear may be little to far out and even bringing it in may not solve the problem but its worth a try

Archived