Jeep track etiquette

Trance Dance

As most of my riding is done on single track I'm not too familiar with jeep track rules.

Is it the norm to ride on either the left or the right hand side of the road? I've recently spent a bit of time on the roads below Devil's peak and it seems as if this is the case.

It seems a bit dangerous and in my opinion riders should keep left in order to avoid crashes. Perhaps others disagree. What is the general consensus?

Most basic rule of the road in South Africa would in my opinion apply. Keep left.

That is what I though as well. But the number of guys riding on the right has me questioning this logic. The fact that a lot of the riders don't move left for approaching traffic adds to my confusion.

This is my opinion. The rider in front has right off way as he has to keep his and people behind him safe. If both tracks are equal rideable stay left, if not ride the easiest route and the rider behind to only pass when safe for both parties. I have seen to many times when the slower rider panics tries to make when it is nit safe and brings both riders down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you cant see more than 50m in front of you don't go racing at top speed down jeep tracks, especially in a forest...

If you crash into a dog/kids or other users...Your fault....if this happens on a marked trail/DH, okay different story.

But yes keep left...

Yes keep left if possible. But with a race like the Attakwas you ride where the track looks the best. So just pass left or right depending on where the guy infront of you is.

Two way traffic: Keep left for oncoming traffic.

Races / riders approach from behind: rider at the front has track and right to pick line, but do not be an idiot about blocking people. If you get lapped, don't risk hurting yourself to make way.

Hills: if not marked as a downhill / gravity track, rider going down must take care not to endanger riders going up. Rider going up should have right of way

If other rider is riding a steel and/or singlespeed, get off the track and applaud the awesomeness gracing you with their presence!

What is not acceptable is two riders side by side chatting and using up both sides of the keep track....

You really are against riders having a good old chat while riding. I always believed that was the ONLY reason to ride on dirt as motorists get a little upset when I do this on tar.

Haha, the slopes under devils peak

Yep i agree spend 90% of my riding there some riders have no idea. Whether you climbing fast up or descending down, it's a free for all really!

As for etiquette, like most said above, although logic kicks when and where the safer lines are.

You really are against riders having a good old chat while riding. I always believed that was the ONLY reason to ride on dirt as motorists get a little upset when I do this on tar.

....... In a race

Archived