Tubeless: Hopeless at this point

BaGearA

Did you do the 'hippy hippy shake' with the wheel to get sealant sloshed around the area around the valve?

What method are you using to install the tyre? If you're using tyre levers, be careful of damaging the rim tape.

Also, don't over-tighten the lock nut of the stem, as you can actually shear/tear the rubber.

Take a ride around the block (1.5km roughly) and make sure the jump and shake the wheel as much as possible , i always pull it over by hand to avoid the tape.

See why I'm hopeless here ? :(

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clean the rim properly (spirits or something) and let dry before putting on some new type maybe?

Clean it with acetone every time and always wait for it to dry, no luck

Take a ride around the block (1.5km roughly) and make sure the jump and shake the wheel as much as possible , i always pull it over by hand to avoid the tape.

See why I'm hopeless here ? :(

Maybe start over and do a proper set-up, but don't add sealant and rather chuck in a tube. Pump up the tyre to around 2.2bar and ride it for a few days.

Perhaps the tube can settle the rim tape into place and thereafter try the tubeless route.

No gaurantee of success, but it's something to try.

I had rather poor luck using gorilla tape on a far narrower rim than that so I share your frustration.

My current rims are Flows with a 23mm internal diameter. I used filament tape as a first layer and then the Stans yellow tape or equivalent in 25mm width. The first layer of filament tape seems to help. This set up has worked flawlessly for well over a year. My suggestion is to ditch the gorilla tape and rather  use the Stans yellow plastic tape.

Maybe start over and do a proper set-up, but don't add sealant and rather chuck in a tube. Pump up the tyre to around 2.2bar and ride it for a few days.

Perhaps the tube can settle the rim tape into place and thereafter try the tubeless route.

No gaurantee of success, but it's something to try.

will consider this if i can't resolve it after a few days.

TO THROW A SPANNER IN THE MIX

My front rim is the same and it has 23/4mm stans tape on with a cheap valve and its holding up perfectly

I had rather poor luck using gorilla tape on a far narrower rim than that so I share your frustration.

My current rims are Flows with a 23mm internal diameter. I used filament tape as a first layer and then the Stans yellow tape or equivalent in 25mm width. The first layer of filament tape seems to help. This set up has worked flawlessly for well over a year. My suggestion is to ditch the gorilla tape and rather  use the Stans yellow plastic tape.

I've been calling around but none of the bike shops have in 30mm width

Bought new wheels in the beginning of the year .

Recently built up the bike

Now every FUC#ING day I have to pump up the wheels because they are flat.

Put on stans rim tape did not work , put on insulation tape and filament tape does not work, put on gorilla tape does not work.

I've tried stans sealent , joes sealent , survival moto-x sealent still losing air.

Today I tired 3 different valves does not work last one had a wide base , half the stem was also rubber , I put plumbing tape on , I put and o-ring between the rim and valve and put another one between the lock nut and rim on the outside.

The lock nut is so tight I'm scared the rim wall could fail.

Wheel i put the wheel under water the air is seeping out from the valve and eyelets and the rim tape is perfect i inspected under A bloody lamp with A magnifying glass ( no jokes) so it has to leak from where the valve goes into the rim then out from the valve and into the space between the walls of the rim and out the eyelets from there.

Should I just say Fu*k it and buy A new rim ?

I'm honestly hopeless

FRom 40psi it leaks down to 5/6 psi in less than 6hours

1) the valve should not be tightened more than you can turn it by hand. That is why they provide a knurled ring instead of a hex nut. If that doesn't seal, something else is wrong. If you have tightened it more, e.g. using pliers, then it may akready have created distortion.

2) if you see air bubbles leaking from the valve hole when submerged it does not mean the air is definitely leaking at the valve. It could leak elsewhere and then travel in the hollow section between rim bed and spoke bed and exit at the unsealed valve hole or any spoke holes...as you are seeing.

I think perhaps your rim has a crack/ fault somewhere and this might be at the join if it is an alloy rim. Are the rims rated as tubeless compatible? Suggest you return them before you do any damage.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Did you check the rim joint? I've had a rim where the joint was uneven which caused the tape not to seal properly.

From visual inspection I'cat see anything wrong with the rim 

joint looks even and good.

No cracks visible

I'm not too sure of the diameter of the valve hole; you may need a reducer from a Schrader valve (8 mm) to Presta (6mm).

I've been calling around but none of the bike shops have in 30mm width

Try The Trailhead - ask Jason.

I have also previously bought normal duct tape and cut it broader than Stans tape or Gorilla tape to fill the whole inner rim diameter