Cleaning Mouldy Bottles

love2fly

After getting sick and tired of finding mould in my (older) juice bottles, a quick google and found this:

http://lovingthebike.com/uncategorized/how-to-clean-a-water-bottle

And it really does work.

It is important to use a bottle brush to get it all (have tried that with just Sunlight before but no real joy)...and when I filled with water to rinse voila, lots of loose mould on the surface.

Now I can use them another 10 years....

Throw them in the dish washer, if not use a brush and soak the lid........Discard them when they start looking tired, bottles are relatively cheap and its not worth the health risks involved

Milton and a brush should sort it out.

Most mouth pieces can be removed from the bottle to soak overnight  :thumbup:

Worked in the cleaning chemicals industry years ago and Mildew Duck (for showers etc) was one of our brands....our Chemists reckoned bleach cant kill or remove mould and only bleaches it...AFAIK Miltons is just a mild bleach....

Mark water bottles and "juice" bottles. Never mix them up. Old-juice flavoured water is never nice.

Milton works like a charm. Cheap. Safe enough for babies, safe for you. (also used for scuba equip)

You could also do what I do with my pack bladder when empty, keep it in the freezer. Stops anything even thinking of getting funky with it. and it's nice an cool for next time.

edit: Milton is just mild bleach.. with instructions. Mild enough for you to not kill yourself.

Mark water bottles and "juice" bottles. Never mix them up. Old-juice flavoured water is never nice.

Milton works like a charm. Cheap. Safe enough for babies, safe for you. (also used for scuba equip)

You could also do what I do with my pack bladder when empty, keep it in the freezer. Stops anything even thinking of getting funky with it. and it's nice an cool for next time.

edit: Milton is just mild bleach.. with instructions. Mild enough for you to not kill yourself.

FWIW - placing a bottle/bladder in the freezer will result in the bacteria hibernating - it won't kill it.

edit: wash your bottle with hot soapy water, then empty, add some rice and baking soda. Fill to halfway with hot water and some dishwashing soap. Replace lid and shake.

The hot water will loosen and hard bits.

The baking soda will disinfect and remove and bad odours.

(1) Baking soda and (2) Citric acid have been used in the food industry for many years to (1) disinfect and (2) descale equipment.

Worked in the cleaning chemicals industry years ago and Mildew Duck (for showers etc) was one of our brands....our Chemists reckoned bleach cant kill or remove mould and only bleaches it...AFAIK Miltons is just a mild bleach....

Thanks for the heads up there, wont be using that stuff again  :thumbup:  Time to rather buy new bottles  :oops:

I am not sure if I should put this on the hub as concerned I am the only one who has a magic table at home.

Following a ride, I put my muddy bottles on the scullery table.

When I go for another ride, the very same bottles are in the cupboard and they are sparking clean.

I really do think the table is magic, as I have left other items on the table and they end-up back in the cupboards all around the house.

This weekend I am going to try and put my MTB on the table, as it has rained quite a bit and I am sure it will be very muddy.

:w00t:

Chlorine , bleach, QAC , any of them will work. To stop them growing . Once it's here , you can disinfect it but it's very hard to get the stains off .

Archived