Biltong

AlanD

Like someone else has said, I prefer the tong with vinegar only, no Worcestershire sauce, but as always, taste is a personal thing...

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looking good gents.  Now I am lus for a piece of biltong.  My mellerware dryer's fan packed up last year, still need to make a plan to fix.

So here are pics of my last 2.5kg batch.

As described before I do a brown vinegar soak for an hour, then comes some coarse salt and brown sugar. This gets washed off with the excess vinegar that was drained off. Just use a basting brush and rub the salt off. It then gets spiced with equal parts of crushed black pepper corns and coriander seeds.

In my dryer I run the light for 2 hrs just to seal the meat, then its just the fan and the biltong is ready in 2 days or so. I prefer my biltong wet inside.

post-35569-0-79828300-1490180187_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-17267000-1490180198_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-66350100-1490180207_thumb.jpg

So here are pics of my last 2.5kg batch.

As described before I do a brown vinegar soak for an hour, then comes some coarse salt and brown sugar. This gets washed off with the excess vinegar that was drained off. Just use a basting brush and rub the salt off. It then gets spiced with equal parts of crushed black pepper corns and coriander seeds.

In my dryer I run the light for 2 hrs just to seal the meat, then its just the fan and the biltong is ready in 2 days or so. I prefer my biltong wet inside.

DSC_0050.JPG

DSC_0051.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG

And will pair nicely with that beer in the fridge ☺

And will pair nicely with that beer in the fridge ☺

Made the batch last week so I can say that it was a good pairing..........

Most of the biltong was given to family, constantly nag me for it.

Usually do my own marinade and seasoning but decided to give pre packed a shot.

Thats quite clever. I have a biltong maker here as well but its still in a box somewhere.

You can buy "biltong" pretty much everywhere though, its just called "Jerky"..... and usually much, much drier, they actually squeeze the meat during the drying process.

However I found a Polish delicatessen who makes a variety of smoked meats and their own Jerky, so I just asked him to sell me some "wet Jerky" before its squeezed, he looked at me a little strangely at first but now he knows me its a bit of a standing joke, admittedly its not quite the same, but its close enough for me to not hassle trying to find the damn biltong maker.    

So after spending a bit of time at my local butcher yesterday this is the result:

post-19039-0-51507200-1490679359_thumb.jpg post-19039-0-58785900-1490679365_thumb.jpgpost-19039-0-91706600-1490679371_thumb.jpg

3 pieces of my normal recipe, a 4th piece with Woolies spice but no Worcester sauce. And my first attempt at chili bytes :clap: , using the chili mix from Crown National.

So after spending a bit of time at my local butcher yesterday this is the result:

attachicon.gif20170328_062625.jpg attachicon.gif20170328_062630.jpgattachicon.gif20170328_062635.jpg

3 pieces of my normal recipe, a 4th piece with Woolies spice but no Worcester sauce. And my first attempt at chili bytes :clap: , using the chili mix from Crown National.

I would like your honest opinion but I tried the Woolies spice and was not impressed.

Made one batch and threw the rest away.

I really don't like any of the braai spices, its why I stick to my bland mix

I would like your honest opinion but I tried the Woolies spice and was not impressed.

Made one batch and threw the rest away.

I really don't like any of the braai spices, its why I stick to my bland mix

What did you not like about it if I may ask?

So far this is the only spice I've used, and bought it out of necessity (no other shop was open at that time) so I do not really have a reference to compare it to other than the normal butchery biltong I've bought.

As for the spice, I enjoy it, I use it extremely sparingly and only give the meat a light coating of spices. I've dried about 5kg's till date (including the new batch) and probably have spice left for another 2-3kg's. I do think that if you use it a bit more excessively that it may be too salt. 

What did you not like about it if I may ask?

So far this is the only spice I've used, and bought it out of necessity (no other shop was open at that time) so I do not really have a reference to compare it to other than the normal butchery biltong I've bought.

As for the spice, I enjoy it, I use it extremely sparingly and only give the meat a light coating of spices. I've dried about 5kg's till date (including the new batch) and probably have spice left for another 2-3kg's. I do think that if you use it a bit more excessively that it may be too salt.

This may make no sense but the spice was bitter. Tasted almost "raw". Hard to describe but it was overpowering and very powdery.

This may make no sense but the spice was bitter. Tasted almost "raw". Hard to describe but it was overpowering and very powdery.

That sounds absolutely horrible!!! I didn't have that at all. Where in Pta are you located? Then if I'm in the area I'll drop off a piece for you to try

That sounds absolutely horrible!!! I didn't have that at all. Where in Pta are you located? Then if I'm in the area I'll drop off a piece for you to try

Faerie Glen or Irene area but lets hook up for a ride.

PM me.

Faerie Glen or Irene area but lets hook up for a ride.

PM me.

Awesome. Will let you know then we go ride BRB, I'm keen to try out the new lines.

As for the biltong topic:

The chili bytes came out delicious!! However I think one will have to was off the vinegar as the taste still remains even though it was only a 30 min lay in

Anyone try the meat of Uitkyk in Silverton for Biltong meat?

The crap most places sell can't be classified a E-grade meat. Tried a pre pack set from Helgas (trust me do not waste your money) and was one piece of sinew and full of tendons and crap.

And I crave a lekker piece of biltong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro