Biltong

AlanD

An update from my first batch: The pieces will probably be ready by tomorrow, the very thin piece was dry (enough) this morning to eat. Delicious indeed!!! The Worcester sauce is a bit potent, drain the vinegar and Worcester sauce on the next batch.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An update from my first batch: The pieces will probably be ready by tomorrow, the very thin piece was dry (enough) this morning to eat. Delicious indeed!!! The Worcester sauce is a bit potent, drain the vinegar and Worcester sauce on the next batch.

Yup, got to drain the excess before you marinate.

I have finished mine and have to do another batch the weekend but at R89/kg, its justifiable :-).

Just as a matter of curiosity, what do you okes pay for those Mellerware biltong makers? I got mine here for $120 along with a KG of Crown National biltong spice (that's aboot R1200).

Also, I got my silverside for around $6 a kg, but that was from a mate's homekill heifer - he gave me half the beast (127kg) for $675.

Just as a matter of curiosity, what do you okes pay for those Mellerware biltong makers? I got mine here for $120 along with a KG of Crown National biltong spice (that's aboot R1200).

Also, I got my silverside for around $6 a kg, but that was from a mate's homekill heifer - he gave me half the beast (127kg) for $675.

Yuppiechef has them for 399

http://www.takealot.com/all?qsearch=biltong+maker&via=suggestions

That's quite expensive. Move to RSA, It's much better here.

got mine off takealot.com for R349.

So that's a bit cheaper than the local etailer then :)

you should make Springbok biltong over there and sell it - you'll make a killing. The Kiwis chow Springboks for breakfast... :devil:

you should make Springbok biltong over there and sell it - you'll make a killing. The Kiwis chow Springboks for breakfast... :devil:

when I was a kid a farmer shot out 50 springbuck on his farm. Our family decided we want 15 (4 households)

Took 2 days to process the meat and few hours to hang the biltong.

Memories of childhood that needs to be cherished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

any quick suggestions on seasoning

Have a look at a few of the earlier posts. I went shopping at after 5pm and ended up with Woolworths Biltong spice, VERY nice indeed!!!

Short version, mix brown vinegar and worchester sauce 1 tot 1. Light drizzle across the meat and a light coating of spices. Let stand for 2 hours. remove excess sauce, and let the meat marinade overnight in a bowl (make sure a bit of sauce remains and that the meat is spiced all round). Hang the next morning. Allow 2-3 days to dry.