10 Spd Derailleur on a 11 speed Cassette

GidB

To throw a curve ball, .......if you find a cog on the cassette where there is no wear or jumping and you use the kickr in ERG mode where the trainer does the electronic braking and you do not have to change gears... then you should be ok short term.

If however you not in ERG workout mode and are either free riding or creating your own workouts and using gears for resistance then will not work and will need to match shifters to cassette.

100% correct. If you use Trainerroad for instance and therefore power based training, you will not have to shift gear ever.

Thus setting a gears without any jumps and you can go as the trainer will adjust resistance as and when needed

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To throw a curve ball, .......if you find a cog on the cassette where there is no wear or jumping and you use the kickr in ERG mode where the trainer does the electronic braking and you do not have to change gears... then you should be ok short term.

If however you not in ERG workout mode and are either free riding or creating your own workouts and using gears for resistance then will not work and will need to match shifters to cassette.

what about the different thickness off 11spd and 10spd chain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a bike with what was originally an 8 speed rear derailleur with 9 speed shifter and using a 10 speed chain. :ph34r:

That's fine though. 9 so cassette I presume? 10sp chain is narrower than 9 so no clearance issues and the 9sp shifter yells the Rd where to go.

That's fine though. 9 so cassette I presume? 10sp chain is narrower than 9 so no clearance issues and the 9sp shifter yells the Rd where to go.

Yes, definitely a 9 speed cassette.  As you said, shifter tells the derailleur where to go, so would be problematic if cassette was different than shifter.  :P

Yes, definitely a 9 speed cassette. As you said, shifter tells the derailleur where to go, so would be problematic if cassette was different than shifter. :P

To my knowledge this is true for 7,8,9 sp but from 10 sp onwards the shift 'amount' has changed so no way to use a 9sp RD and a 10sp shifter? On a 10sp cassette off course ....

To my knowledge this is true for 7,8,9 sp but from 10 sp onwards the shift 'amount' has changed so no way to use a 9sp RD and a 10sp shifter? On a 10sp cassette off course ....

Every mechanic I've talked to about it has told me that the derailleur moves however far the shifter tells it to, so speed is defined by shifter alone.  Obviously then, cassette needs to match shifter.  But I haven't tried that specific combination, and I'm not an expert mechanic either.  :P

Guessing someone with a more mechanical knowledge than I may give a better answer.

Every mechanic I've talked to about it has told me that the derailleur moves however far the shifter tells it to, so speed is defined by shifter alone. Obviously then, cassette needs to match shifter. But I haven't tried that specific combination, and I'm not an expert mechanic either. :P

Guessing someone with a more mechanical knowledge than I may give a better answer.

True to a degree, except when it comes to different lever lengths and pivot positions on the RD. So. While an 8/9 speed shifter will tell an 8/9 speed derailleur to move Xcm when it shifts because the lever arm on the derailleurs are the same length (ie for every Xcm the shifter moves the cable the derailleur moves Xcm) the lever lengths on the newer derailleurs are different so if a shifter moves the cable Xcm the derailleur will move 1.1*Xcm.

True to a degree, except when it comes to different lever lengths and pivot positions on the RD. So. While an 8/9 speed shifter will tell an 8/9 speed derailleur to move Xcm when it shifts because the lever arm on the derailleurs are the same length (ie for every Xcm the shifter moves the cable the derailleur moves Xcm) the lever lengths on the newer derailleurs are different so if a shifter moves the cable Xcm the derailleur will move 1.1*Xcm.

And there you have it, someone with more mechanical knowledge than I giving a better answer.  :P

To quote Banna - "Listen to Mayhem" ;)

Do 10 and 11sp rd's have the same amount of cable pull? ie. an 11sp rd would work with a 10sp shifter and cassette, and vv?

The tools required to change the cassette (chain whip and torque wrench) are actually so cheap, I rather put my effort in buying some and do it myself, that taking trainer and wheels to bike shop every  time -watch a Youtube video if you not sure how to use them.

Very cheap indeed; made my own chain whip, and bought cassette removal tool from Kloppers for R80. Was some time ago though. Torque wrench is R1000 about for the larger ones(?); never use it on my bikes-don't have one-, but would guess it's a good idea for the trainer?

Do 10 and 11sp rd's have the same amount of cable pull? ie. an 11sp rd would work with a 10sp shifter and cassette, and vv?

No, 8, 9, 10spd have same pull ratio. 11spd is different and not compatible.

No, 8, 9, 10spd have same pull ratio. 11spd is different and not compatible.

On SRAM both 10 speed and 11 speed use direct actuation so are compatible with each other.

I have a Red RD 10 speed running on an 11 speed cassette with Red22 shifters.

I looked for the tables of what works with what but ended up going for a walk on the beach instead as I don't need to know if a 9 speed RD will work on a current bike.

Sram seems so much easier; I'm more interested in knowing whether an 11sp Shimano rd will work on a 10x setup though-11sp is expensaaave to maintain and unneccasary for where I live