Brakes Deore,XT,XTR,SLX,Hope??

Cu Draad

Thanks for all the info guys!! My Bike is only 4 months old with 146km on clock ,so I don`t think it need bleeding. Everything on my bike is XT but the brakes are Deore front 180mm and back 160mm rotors.

My weight was 126.6kg and are now down to 111.2kg  so I thought to upgrade my brakes for I little more stopping power, like bigger rotors but maybe its better to upgrade to XT or SLX setup!!

Dankie :D

I was in the same boat as you at the end of last year... was 125Kg's and now at 119 after riding so much the last 5-6 months.

How the hell did you loose so much weight so quick????? :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

I upgraded from 180mm-F and 160mm-R to 180/180 and there was noticable difference. Also bled brakes at same time new rear rotor was fitted. I had also only done about 300Km's prior to doing it!

I only did the basic entry level Resin only rotor as funds were tight...

Not sure if you mentioned it yet but what bike do you have?

When the money tree is in full bloom again I will be looking at the XT M8000 brake set with RT81 Ice tech rotors. If they don't show much difference to what I have now then I will go 203/180 :D 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread is going in circles, he just wants someone to tell him to buy XT brakes. 

Why all this "want for more stopping power" ? 

With only 146km ridden, you could have the wrong tyres on the bike, not allowing enough traction to slow you down fast enough. 

Your suspension could not be set up correctly and not enough traction to slow down.

XT m8000 has way more stopping power that XTR  m9000 race brakes.

I have sold my XT and bought XTR as I upgraded to a new groupset.

#carbonfiberaddict and #blingfactor was key to my build.

Get the XT M8000, you won't look back!!!

This thread is going in circles, he just wants someone to tell him to buy XT brakes. 

With only 146km ridden, you could have the wrong tyres on the bike, not allowing enough traction to slow you down fast enough. 

Your suspension could not be set up correctly and not enough traction to slow down.

Someone told him his brakes were ***, and now it's a stumbling block... Instead of getting them bled and slightly better rotors, he's now thinking it's a requirement to get brand new brakes. 

If he does - Deore. Same internals as SLX & XT. Exactly the same power. Done. 

What does a lycra lord know about suspension, tyres, brake rotors etc? Pft.

:devil:

What does a lycra lord know about suspension, tyres, brake rotors etc? Pft.

:devil:

I have been hanging around the hub too long.   :(  :(  I also know that a horizontal shock is the best and that on upside down fork is a fad. 

Someone told him his brakes were ***, and now it's a stumbling block... Instead of getting them bled and slightly better rotors, he's now thinking it's a requirement to get brand new brakes. 

If he does - Deore. Same internals as SLX & XT. Exactly the same power. Done. 

I want to replace the Avid's on my MTB with Shimano anything, I will just wait till he sells his useless deore and tiny rotors for the recommended second hand price of around R450.

Reason for the replacement, the make a funny noise the DWF doesnt fix. 

I have been hanging around the hub too long.   :(  :(  I also know that a horizontal shock is the best and that on upside down fork is a fad. 

pew pew

*shots fired

I was in the same boat as you at the end of last year... was 125Kg's and now at 119 after riding so much the last 5-6 months.

How the hell did you loose so much weight so quick????? :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

I upgraded from 180mm-F and 160mm-R to 180/180 and there was noticable difference. Also bled brakes at same time new rear rotor was fitted. I had also only done about 300Km's prior to doing it!

I only did the basic entry level Resin only rotor as funds were tight...

Not sure if you mentioned it yet but what bike do you have?

When the money tree is in full bloom again I will be looking at the XT M8000 brake set with RT81 Ice tech rotors. If they don't show much difference to what I have now then I will go 203/180 :D

Thanks for all the help!! well I am on 105.3kg now from 1st Jan. Just ride your bike more and check what u eat!! For now I will just go with a rotor

upgrade!!! Thanks!

At 146km the pads must still lekker form to the disc. Bigger rotors my 2 cents, I ride formula C1, so I don't have much of a basis for opinions. Op's weight is coming down, so the physics is becoming more on his side

1.  Bigger rotors won't give you more stopping power.  The contact area (pads) remain the same, the force applied by the calliper remains the same.  The material of the pads remain the same, so no extra stopping power.  The only real benefit of larger rotors is that they give you a larger surface area to dissipate heat over, so brakes will be less prone to fade over extended braking and your fluid will last longer (see also point 5 below).

2.  Deore is by far the best value for money.  They have exactly the same stopping power as SLX/XT.  Not sure about XTR but if you're not a millionaire or sponsored rider, shouldn't bother with XTR.  

3.  If you really want stopping power, get a pair of Shimano Zee brakes.  They have quad pistons (as opposed to dual on Deore/SLX/XT/XTR) and have significantly larger brake pad surfaces.  However, unless you're riding downhill or proper enduro, you shouldn't really need them.

4.  This post is getting rather long, but I haven't seen anyone mention skills.  The best thing you can do with brakes is to learn when/how to use them so that you increase the efficiency of your riding.  You'll ride faster and have less hassles with brakes.

5.  If you do a lot of heavy/extended braking, you have cooked your fluid and should drain and replace it followed by a proper bleed.  I've drained a couple of sets of Shimano brakes with black fluid.  You get carbon formation in the fluid and that creates a spongy effect.

1.  Bigger rotors won't give you more stopping power.  The contact area (pads) remain the same, the force applied by the calliper remains the same.  The material of the pads remain the same, so no extra stopping power.  The only real benefit of larger rotors is that they give you a larger surface area to dissipate heat over, so brakes will be less prone to fade over extended braking and your fluid will last longer (see also point 5 below).

Agreed with the rest, but this is incorrect. Larger rotors give you more stopping power as the moment (resultant torque) is larger due to the larger distance between the hub and the braking surface.

IE: A 200mm rotor is 25% larger than a 160mm rotor (radius of 100mm vs 80mm) so for a given force at the rotor (pulling the brake lever Xmm, assuming all other factors remain equal) your braking torque will be 25% higher. 

There is the added benefit of better cooling as well, but bigger rotors DO give you more braking power. 

1. Bigger rotors won't give you more stopping power. The contact area (pads) remain the same, the force applied by the calliper remains the same. The material of the pads remain the same, so no extra stopping power. The only real benefit of larger rotors is that they give you a larger surface area to dissipate heat over, so brakes will be less prone to fade over extended braking and your fluid will last longer (see also point 5 below).

You forgot about the leverage provided by the larger rotors.

Archived