Indoor Trainer

Equity

Hi guys

Just started cycling again and would like to get some more training in so I am in the market for a indoor trainer.

There are many in the classifieds for the western cape (i assume shipping would be expensive) but i am unsure which model would work for me.

I am keen to give Zwift a try, so something that is compatible would be ideal.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Perhaps in the R2 to R4k (at a stretch) budget area.

Thanks

Its unlikely you will find a smart trainer that is fully compatible with zwift for that amount.

There are also other options available to use it though like a non-smart trainer with power meter and speed/cadence sensors or even just the speed/cadence sensors.

For that money you'll have to look at a Tacx Satori Smart, which at least can communicate power and cadence to Zwift, but is not automatically controllable.

Remember to factor in the cost of your ANT+ stick, trainer tyre, spare wheel and spare cassette.

Zwift works best with a smart trainer. 

I have find the Tacx Vortex trainer and this would be considered the baseline for an entry level smart trainer. 

I find the Vortex good value for money and it works. 

I previously had a Giant indoor trainer and for me i got quickly bored of it. 

Thanks guys.

It seems I might have to just apply rule #5 and then save a little more for a trainer

Hi guys

Just started cycling again and would like to get some more training in so I am in the market for a indoor trainer.

There are many in the classifieds for the western cape (i assume shipping would be expensive) but i am unsure which model would work for me.

Thanks

Cycleops Super Magneto is quite amazing - 4 settings, from easy, road, interval and mountain.

Hectic resistance gives me a fantastic workout everytime, and folds away nicely making it a great warm-up tool to drag along to races.

great value.

Thats the problem.

Not sure what is good and what to avoid.

I used the Cycle Ops Fluid 2 IDT with Trainer Road, although it is not a smart trainer i can assure you , you will get a good work out. You will find a lot of info on bike hub regarding IDT's. Just use the search function and read some of  DC Rainmaker's IDT's tests.  Google is your friend.... :whistling:

I used the Cycle Ops Fluid 2 IDT with Trainer Road, although it is not a smart trainer i can assure you , you will get a good work out. You will find a lot of info on bike hub regarding IDT's. Just use the search function and read some of  DC Rainmaker's IDT's tests.  Google is your friend.... :whistling:

OK. Thanks very much!

Hi guys

Thanks

You can make any trainer work on ZWIFT, but you will need a speed and cadence sensor. 

You can make any trainer work on ZWIFT, but you will need a speed and cadence sensor. 

Yes I understand that Thanks.

Slight thread hijack....

I have a spinning bike with an antiquated computer that isn't good for much other than showing speed, cadence and time.. Is there any suitable Bluetooth computer out there that I could attach to it that would enable me to link it to my Strava account?

Thanks

Tom 

Slight thread hijack....

I have a spinning bike with an antiquated computer that isn't good for much other than showing speed, cadence and time.. Is there any suitable Bluetooth computer out there that I could attach to it that would enable me to link it to my Strava account?

Thanks

Tom 

Speed and cadence sensor, pair it to your Garmin / Phone. Cadence sensor is easy - just get a crank arm one. With a spinning bike the speed sensor might be a bit tricky - you'll probably need one that has a magnetic pickup and then just tape the magnet to the wheel. but wheel size you'd have to play around a bit. 

• 4 weeks later...

A 50k or a 5 k trainer are no different to each other.

It all depends on how much you are prepared to work and suffer.

It's the same as with bikes a 100k bike may be lighter etc but if you 5kgs overweight and 100% not prepared to suffer you ain't going nowhere.