Painting a groupset

Eugene

Has anybody ever tried to paint a groupset?

I have a yellow frame that I think would look great with a black groupset, but all the cheaper groups are silver.

Can it be professionally painted to the point that it looks like a new group?

Never done it, but my groupset on my road bike is black, and when the crank got scratched I see there's silver underneath so must be possible.

I've seen someone do it-didn't look too great though...

Now mr.Bogus on the other hand might be able to do something really nice with it...

Are the cranks Aluminium? You could anodise the black. You also get a hard black anodising (well you did years ago). Not sure who does it though.

I have had my shift levers and cranks retouched/ painted before and it turned out good as new. If it's all aluminium, you could have it anodized as mentioned. But you can also have it sprayed. After all, alu frames are spray painted.

You can paint or anodize your crank 

Chain and cassette will wear away imediately or very fast

and maybe you could paint the swing arm of the mech 

I've had a crankset painted by bogus, and I know he's done Custom sram red bits before for someone. So yes, it can be done.

Have done chainrings go myself with rattle can paint, and it worked a treat. Yes, the teeth and the back of the big rich got some scratches early, but the front, where it mattered to me, stayed beautiful.

Anodising is not really an option as it would be impossible to disassemble things like shifters. To have something anodised, you cannot have any other materials stuck to it.

Not recommended, too many moving components... so paint will eventually chip/peel off...

Cranks should be fine, but the rest, the paint won't last very long

if you are going to do it yourself - just make certain every spot of grease is off - other wise paint will not stick. 

Does anyone know if there is someone who can produce transfers/stickers to go on after the paint or replace old ones wearing off?

if you are going to do it yourself - just make certain every spot of grease is off - other wise paint will not stick. 

Does anyone know if there is someone who can produce transfers/stickers to go on after the paint or replace old ones wearing off?

When i was in school a friends dad had model cars he collected restored and painted them.

He did my sti's with some kind of transfer paper, but it needs a layer of clearcoat else it rubs off within a few weeks.

So try a hobby shop. sure you could get a sheet from them, print on your printer, cut out, transfer and clear coat.

Am assuming this is a road bike? Sell groupset, buy black 105 groupset.  Consider resale in future... you think anyone will consider buying a bike with a painted groupset?

Am assuming this is a road bike? Sell groupset, buy black 105 groupset. Consider resale in future... you think anyone will consider buying a bike with a painted groupset?

It's an old road frame that I wanted to build as a cheap bike and I thought it would look way nicer with a black groupset. The problem is that the cheaper groups like Sora and Tiagra are all silver and the older 105s are also silver.

Archived