cleats for downhill?

Mongooser

No. Those half pedals are stupid. For someone who is a flats guy but wants to clip the best solution is crank bros mallets. Lots of float. Easy in & out. Plus there's a big platform in case you can't clip in.

To ride with clips on a DH bike you need to be more calculated. Braking I'm the right places. Picking your spots to unclip etc. To me it feels less fun which is why I ride with flats on my big bike.

A lot of good riders like Rika and Mylo will ride flats in the "off season" to keep their technique sharp but will switch back to clips come race season.

I wouldn't say they are stupid. I rode with them for quite some time and really enjoyed them... I did end up settling with the platform with spd on both sides, but the dual sided ones helped me make up my mind about which I prefer....

Agreed, flats are more fun, but I find cleats to be allot faster - but like I said, it is a very personal thing.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

take this from whence it comes. Roll your wrists a little. That will help to keep your feel planted on the pedals.

* Disclaimer. I suck at jumping and an internet forum is the last place you should look for riding tips.

No, no. My internet advice is better than their internet advice. :ph34r:

No, no. My internet advice is better than their internet advice. :ph34r:

The volume and voracity of advice is usually inversely proportional to riding ability on internet forums.

Agreed, flats are more fun,

the only thing i don't like about the idea of cleats, i cant take my feet of in the air and do my general nonsense,

The DMR V-Twin pedals look pretty rad. Lots of adjustability to get the perfect fit with your preferred shoes by way of shims and the pins.

Price is steep

If you can't keep your feet on flats don't  go to clipless.

Edited by porqui

• 1 month later...

I agree on staying with flats. They will refine your technique nicely over time and will lead to less bad technique habits, especially if you're hitting the DH stuff. I rode flats for a good couple of years and only just switched to cleats. Hit helderberg trails a few times but have avoided the big stuff mostly for now seeing as Im running on borrowed cleats and shoes which are probably not ideal for the enduro type trails I'm tackling there but I must say it feels great being connected to the bike and the control is on another level, especially through the rough stuff. Kicking out will be a big adjustment as its way harder so far and as mentioned before, you do need to calculate a bit more on corners but the general increase in power through the pedals = more speed = big smile on face. ???? Downsides so far are clipping in on the go as I don't have any platform with my shimano M250's. Going to upgrade as soon as I've tested the cleated side of things a bit longer and can justify the funds.

I agree on staying with flats. They will refine your technique nicely over time and will lead to less bad technique habits, especially if you're hitting the DH stuff. I rode flats for a good couple of years and only just switched to cleats. Hit helderberg trails a few times but have avoided the big stuff mostly for now seeing as Im running on borrowed cleats and shoes which are probably not ideal for the enduro type trails I'm tackling there but I must say it feels great being connected to the bike and the control is on another level, especially through the rough stuff. Kicking out will be a big adjustment as its way harder so far and as mentioned before, you do need to calculate a bit more on corners but the general increase in power through the pedals = more speed = big smile on face. ???? Downsides so far are clipping in on the go as I don't have any platform with my shimano M250's. Going to upgrade as soon as I've tested the cleated side of things a bit longer and can justify the funds.

The majority of pros are riding with cleats now, not a bad idea at all. Gives you allot more stability over rocky/rutty/rooted sections. But it realy comes down to what works for you - so give it a try and see! Go for something like this with clips on the one side and flat on the other... then you have some versatility.

attachicon.gif20170412_205943.png

I've had a set of these, clips both sides...nice big platform but really struggled to release even on the loosest settings...it felt as thought the machining of the clip was not that great, sharp edges and a bit "tinny"...then one of the clips fell apart....they look exactly like Shimano clips and I think that's the issue, the quality of Shimano clips is hard to emulate, it was a relief to get back onto my Shimano 424's....as for the "asymmetrical" Funn's, thought hard about them but I really cannot see how these will work out, you don't have time to flip pedals and land your foot on the side you want when you crashing down a rocky line or setting up for a jump...

I didn't want to go to clipless, initially, and have had plenty of silly stop sign crashes, where you just can not get out quick enough and do the slow topple over.

That being said - on rough rocks and roots, I'll take clipless over flats any days - I get to dictate line without the fear of my feet going haywire.  That's also why i rode clipless on Ezelenduro, (nuts and toptube meeting due to missing a pedal) one less thing to worry about.

I'm currently riding clipless shimano trail pedals 99% of the time, but looking for that one flat pedal/double sided cleat pedal that is just off the hook, and have yet to find it.  In the meantime, whenever I want to try something stupid like a footplant table or a 360 tyretap, or an invert, I'll swop to flats and ride sneakers, since I know that i will either get stuck if I need to bail, or clip out at the wrong time and die.

but looking for that one flat pedal/double sided cleat pedal that is just off the hook, and have yet to find it.  

You and me both.

Messing around with a set of Xpedo's atm but still prefer the shimano trail pedals.

A little more float than the DX which is lekker for hairy bits where you have to kick off in a hurry. But the DX's have this lekker sense of security when clipped in with the right shoes. The platform held snug against the sole feels mooi on the rough stuff but not as easy to foot out like the trail pedals.

only problem right now is trying to get cheap shoes

tried cleats on on my friends trance,it was way to easy the get the bike sideways and go over stuff faster,then we stuck em on my canyon,i hit a tree so hard it left a mark of my stem

i could go through stuff faster,faster than i could go...