Ironman 2018 - PE

clivem

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've done 3 long slow rides the last 3 weekends. So Saturday I'm going to change it up and really push a shorter 90km, hopefully throw a little run in afterwards. 

Sunday will need to be a longer chilled run.

After a cycle today I realize I need to rest my legs a bit. So mebbe a lil run on weekend and lil MTB chilled ride. Need some downtime,

After a cycle today I realize I need to rest my legs a bit. So mebbe a lil run on weekend and lil MTB chilled ride. Need some downtime,

3000m swim today, 5hr bike tomorrow and 2.5 run on Sunday. Next week is a recovery week. I have learned that recovery is as important as training when you hit 40.

3000m swim today, 5hr bike tomorrow and 2.5 run on Sunday. Next week is a recovery week. I have learned that recovery is as important as training when you hit 40.

I find it very very very difficult to not do something...addiction is a terrible thing.

To the guys who comes home on the bike in under 6 hours - what does your training speeds look like? Say for eg, your long weekend ride of about 100 - 120 km, what speed do you average? Also, the average speed for your mid week rides?

All this on a bike route more or less similar to that of Ironman PE.

Weekend rides roughly 29-32km/h with structured intervals as main set.

Midweek is all power based structured sets on wattbike e.g. Monday aerobic 45min; Tuesday Tempo 1h30m; Thursday Intervals 1h10m (example wu, 8x2m 90rpm, 2x10m 60rpm, 6x2m 90rpm, 1x8m 60rpm, wd) 

Hope that helps a bit. Power is athlete specific though so you have to figure out where you are ito FTP.

Weekend rides roughly 29-32km/h with structured intervals as main set.

Midweek is all power based structured sets on wattbike e.g. Monday aerobic 45min; Tuesday Tempo 1h30m; Thursday Intervals 1h10m (example wu, 8x2m 90rpm, 2x10m 60rpm, 6x2m 90rpm, 1x8m 60rpm, wd) 

Hope that helps a bit. Power is athlete specific though so you have to figure out where you are ito FTP.

you guys are putting me to shame. My 2x 1hr spin sets with intervals and weekend long ride is not enough to get the magical 30kph. Will have to up that. 

9 weeks...?

you guys are putting me to shame. My 2x 1hr spin sets with intervals and weekend long ride is not enough to get the magical 30kph. Will have to up that. 

9 weeks...?

me too...however once the adrenaline kicks in we gonna go for the magical 14 hour mark.... hehe... **** 9 weeks means 7 weeks means 6 weeks with a rest week.... too late now hahaha

9 weeks...?

We must be on the same plan  :P

Wow, I don’t recall that happening last couple of years. Must be the worlds in September that attracted entrants I reckon

All that I know is that only approx 1500 people need to pull out/decline invite for me to book my 70.3 worlds spot. Holding thumbs.

Exactly 2 months (8 weeks) today.

http://eu.ironman.com/~/media/40097873f6ca4e92bdd84ad972127cb8/08082017%20rotator%20imsouthafrica%201600x980%201.jpg?w=1600&h=980&c=1

Exactly 2 months (8 weeks) today.

http://eu.ironman.com/~/media/40097873f6ca4e92bdd84ad972127cb8/08082017%20rotator%20imsouthafrica%201600x980%201.jpg?w=1600&h=980&c=1

Always brings a lump to the throat hey. Damn what is it about ironman PE that draws you like a moth to a flame?

Always brings a lump to the throat hey. Damn what is it about ironman PE that draws you like a moth to a flame?

I read this morning that

"The Ironman African Championship in Port Elizabeth received a top 10 ranking in six categories in the 2017 Athlete’s Choice Awards.

Out of 39 Ironman events globally, Ironman Africa was voted second in ‘overall swim’, third in ‘overall bike’, sixth in ‘overall run’, ninth in ‘best race venue’, eighth in ‘will attend next year’ and fifth in ‘will recommend to a friend’."

http://yoursport.co.za/ironman-african-championship-cracks-top-10-in-6-categories-in-athletes-choice-awards/

Anyone want to pull out and sell entry? ;0

Even if there was someone with an entry; Ironman SA doesn't allow substitutions for some or other reason

Archived