Ironman 2018 - PE

clivem

So it looks like the date is now finalised for 18 15 April 2018 and registrations are open.  Who's in for 2018?

Edited by clivem

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Entered but still need to sort out the accommodation and flights.

Edited by DA\/ID

Amazing event, loved every second of 2017!

I’m hooked, so most definitely in for 2018. ( and have some unfinished business on the marathon)

Will be there :)

Especially as there is the African swing special being offered if you sign up for EL and PE together which is much cheaper than if you signed up for them individually.

Will be there :)

Especially as there is the African swing special being offered if you sign up for EL and PE together which is much cheaper than if you signed up for them individually.

Yes, that special is quite attractive indeed  :eek:

The plan is to build up to it next year. Maybe. 

I recall reading somewhere you bought a new Cervelo, so which model etc etc ...

saw a brand new Cervelo at Bidon this morning , any chance you?

Ironman cyclist knocked out in attack by gang 

A second foreign Ironman competitor has been attacked and robbed by a gang near Schoenmakerskop.

The man, who has not been identified but is believed to be Yugoslavian, was knocked off his bicycle in Victoria Drive, about a kilometre out of Schoenmakerskop, and robbed of his cellphone and wallet.

He was lying in the road with the bike on top of him, surrounded by the thugs, when an approaching vehicle scared them off.

The attack was ominously similar to the two on March 24, when first Port Elizabeth recreational cyclist Leon Killian and then 2013 Ironman champion Frederik van Lierde, from Belgium, were assaulted on the same stretch of road.

A motorist described on Facebook how she was driving back after walking her dog at Schoenies when she saw a group of four men crowded around something in the road near the World War 2 military blockhouse.

In the post, she said that as she approached, the group scattered.

“They ran into the bush in the direction of Summerstrand – and I saw it was a cyclist lying unconscious, or dead, in the middle of the road with his bicycle on [top of] him,” she said.

Aware of recent attacks and warnings, she did not stop but raced to the Animal Welfare Society, where staff called the police and an ambulance as well as sending down a vehicle and team of their own.

“Apparently the victim was a young Yugoslavian man,” the motorist said.

“He had been knocked unconscious and robbed but was otherwise not seriously injured.”

Atlas Security operations manager Monty Montgomery said the cyclist was bleeding and in a state of shock when his team arrived at the scene.

An Atlas inspector had followed the attackers’ escape trail and discovered the cyclist’s ID document and passport, which had then been returned to him.

“Apparently these guys surrounded him and he came off his bike when they kicked his back wheel,” he said.

Montgomery said his inspector had found a telephone number in the recovered passport, which he rang.

“It was the guesthouse where he was staying and the owners there were very upset to hear about the incident because this guy comes down each year to compete in Ironman.”

Neither the man’s name nor the name of the guesthouse was available last night, however.

Police spokesman Warrant Officer Alwin Labans confirmed the incident but said the victim had not laid a complaint.

He said the man had already been taken to hospital by ambulance by the time police arrived at the scene.

Bay safety and security mayoral committee member John Best strongly condemned the attack.

“I will be meeting with police [today] to discuss it and the prior attacks, and [with] the Ironman organisers [tomorrow] to discuss a way forward for competitors,” he said.

I recall reading somewhere you bought a new Cervelo, so which model etc etc ...

saw a brand new Cervelo at Bidon this morning , any chance you?

Black and blue S2 Cervelo. I was at Bidon! Haha. Small world. Coffee on me next time. Were you also riding a Cervelo and parked next to me?

<--- That's my beauty. 

Edited by EmJayZA

Black and blue S2 Cervelo. I was at Bidon! Haha. Small world. Coffee on me next time. Were you also riding a Cervelo and parked next to me?

<--- That's my beauty.

Yip. That's me... I had an eerie feeling it was you but you know how it is...small world.

Beautiful bike, congratZZ... I had the previous model S2 which I really enjoyed and when it developed a crack in the frame Cervelo Canada replaced it with a current S3. Same as the S2 just the fork is slightly different. Excellent bikes.

you were out a fairly long time, enjoying the new bike no doubt...

Yip. That's me... I had an eerie feeling it was you but you know how it is...small world.

Beautiful bike, congratZZ... I had the previous model S2 which I really enjoyed and when it developed a crack in the frame Cervelo Canada replaced it with a current S3. Same as the S2 just the fork is slightly different. Excellent bikes.

you were out a fairly long time, enjoying the new bike no doubt...

Thanks. She flies like the wind, it's just the rider holding her back.

I am secretly hoping my bike develops a crack! Talk about customer service... 

Was really enjoying being out as it was such a nice day, even when riding into the wind. Just have saddle issues, otherwise I would have been out even longer. 

Thanks. She flies like the wind, it's just the rider holding her back.

I am secretly hoping my bike develops a crack! Talk about customer service... 

Was really enjoying being out as it was such a nice day, even when riding into the wind. Just have saddle issues, otherwise I would have been out even longer. 

Have u still got the saddle from the previous bike, if so put that on and see how it goes. Guess the geometry of the S2 is different thus might be an element of getting used to and chafes in areas not previously chafed. Or a nice new saddle.

Thursday a public holiday, have it sorted before then and get out there again and again. We really are fortunate in Gauteng with the weather and cradle, even in winter.