Vittoria Tyres excl serial numbers

Jakkals.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had four of these discount / grey import tyres break now. I initially bought two and needed to replace them as both tore within a few rides. When the third one broke, I contacted the distributor to find out what was going on with the tyres as I had been using the barzo for two years without incident and now all of a sudden I had torn three in two months... The distributor has been very helpful, but cant do much as they did not bring these grey import tyres in and referred me to the shop I got them from.

The fourth one tore in Tokai on Saturday.... I have no idea where these tyres have been sourced from but there is a serious quality issue with them.

Interestingly, none of the tyres had been ground on the inside, they just had no serial number at all.. :eek: 

The genuine ones I have now purchased have a clear serial number in them. 

I have had four of these discount / grey import tyres break now. I initially bought two and needed to replace them as both tore within a few rides. When the third one broke, I contacted the distributor to find out what was going on with the tyres as I had been using the barzo for two years without incident and now all of a sudden I had torn three in two months... The distributor has been very helpful, but cant do much as they did not bring these grey import tyres in and referred me to the shop I got them from.

The fourth one tore in Tokai on Saturday.... I have no idea where these tyres have been sourced from but there is a serious quality issue with them.

Interestingly, none of the tyres had been ground on the inside, they just had no serial number at all.. :eek: 

Which bike shop did you buy tyres from? If you can't find numbers, it is grey import tyres...

Which bike shop did you buy tyres from? If you can't find numbers, it is grey import tyres...

All from CWC.

According to the distributor, if there is no serial number, they are grey imports and are not supported by them or the manufacturer.

Did your "grey" tyres come in the original vittoria packaging with the cardboard insert and vittoria branded strap thing holding it together?

Just without a serial number?

All from CWC.

According to the distributor, if there is no serial number, they are grey imports and are not supported by them or the manufacturer.

Has CWC given you your money back and a bottle of stans and a few bombs for your trouble?

Did your "grey" tyres come in the original vittoria packaging with the cardboard insert and vittoria branded strap thing holding it together?

Just without a serial number?

They had the original vittoria backing board. I cant remember if the strap was vittoria branded, I seem to remember that it was a cable tie (but don't take that as fact, it was a few months ago)

Has CWC given you your money back and a bottle of stans and a few bombs for your trouble?

My tyres are currently with the distributor, I will take them back once they are returned.

They had the original vittoria backing board. I cant remember if the strap was vittoria branded, I seem to remember that it was a cable tie (but don't take that as fact, it was a few months ago)

Okay, going to have a look at mine this evening. Purchased from the same store you did. 

Okay, going to have a look at mine this evening. Purchased from the same store you did. 

Will be interesting to know if the strap is the vittoria branded one, let us know.

Numbers are normally underneath the tyre

That is a bit ambiguous. Is the serial on the rubber inside the tyre? On the the sidewall?

At the moment there is a floor underneath my tyre, later there will be gravel underneath it.

Either way, my tyre was bought from a lbs who is very vocal about online shops, and they are a year old without hassles, so I reckon it's legit.

That is a bit ambiguous. Is the serial on the rubber inside the tyre? On the the sidewall?

At the moment there is a floor underneath my tyre, later there will be gravel underneath it.

Either way, my tyre was bought from a lbs who is very vocal about online shops, and they are a year old without hassles, so I reckon it's legit.

If you look at the pic on the opening post, you can see where it should be. On the inside of the tyre. So you would need to remove the tyre to inspect. If your bought from your LBS and it has given any problems, I am sure it is legit.

post-41053-0-44949200-1494405345_thumb.png

I've got a Saguro and a Barzo at home still packaged as received. They were bought at the CTCT Expo from CWC stand. 

They definitely have the Vittoria backing board (I think it's plastic, not cardboard), and if I remember correctly they have plain black packaging strapping (not a cable tie). 

Will have a look this eve and post pics.

I also have a brand new unused set at home which I bought from CWC about 2 months ago to put on my wifes bike. 

I'll have a look for the serial numbers tonight at home. I'll be seriously pissed off if its the sub standard versions which no one really knows where it came from.

Ironic much: 

I still find it hard to believe that grey imports will be of a different quality to the stuff that the Official distributor brings in. They surely come from the same factory, and if not where would the inferior ones be coming from? 

Archived