Vittoria Tyres excl serial numbers

Jakkals.

Now I am having to check to see the possible abrasion on my Barzo and Saguaro. But ja, this is not cool. I am going to refrain from mentioning where I bought mine, as some say that taking them on here on this forum is akin to social media suicide...

Could you post a pic of said possible abrasion? 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The notice on Vittoria web site has been there for about a year and half already.

Not about fakes but rather warranty issues.

The notice on Vittoria web site has been there for about a year and half already.

Not about fakes but rather warranty issues.

That's a bit of good news, in our current wonderful "climate" in SA where everything seems to slip and slide continually downwards!

... Question...

if the tires are coming into SA via a different route, why in the world would the importer do this, it has no benefit to him.

2nd, if you think about it, the types come folder up around a Vittori hard cardboard holder, no way to get the tyre out of that without damaging the packaging..., although like other brands I have seen types sold just folder up and white band strapped together.

Would be interesting to know if the tyres with the number is coming from a specific source #1 and if they are sold on Vittori cardboard strips or just white package binding around them.

My view, if the tyre is being damaged and this causes failure, and potential injury, ye then I'd be upset with the source/where I bought it, if the tyre is not damaged, and just not coming in via local agents, then I actually don't care about a warrantee. When last did you claim on a tyre, or even claimed and have a positive outcome.

G

As mentioned by Reden this warning has been on the site for quite a while. It is about grey imports rather than fakes.

The serial numbers are removed to protect the distributor selling their stock in SA, breaking their agreement with Vittoria, and undercutting the local distributor.

Money rather than safety.

Could you post a pic of said possible abrasion? 

I am not aware of any abrasion, I only made the comment in light of any "possible" abrasion in terms of the fact the tyres might be suspect..

But as far as I can tell, CWC are legit.

(my comment about them was made in jest peeps.)

I put a CWC Barzo on my front wheel and apart from a sneer from my LBS guys who say they don't like the tyre I've been very happy with it.

I put a CWC Barzo on my front wheel and apart from a sneer from my LBS guys who say they don't like the tyre I've been very happy with it.

They don't like it because you didn't buy it from them...  :whistling:

I snuck in with it like a guilty spouse who's been unfaithful with the local hooker ....

They don't like it because you didn't buy it from them...  :whistling:

Change your LBS pronto. You don't need such negativity in your life.  :whistling:  :ph34r:

Here is an example of things going badly wrong ... I got a 50% discounted set of Vitorria tyres (saguaro and barzo) online.So far ok. Have them fitted. Still ok. Prepping for Houw Hoek and on the 5th ride on the tyres coming down Tafelberg from the blockhouse at 40 km/hr the beading on the front tyre rips. Note - not the tyre wall. A catastrophic tyre failure. Time off work for serious concussion, AC popped and wrist damage plus major abrasions and 10K repairs on the bike, and medical costs of a few grand, I'm lucky to have ridden the Houw Hoek last weekend (taped up) when things could have been much much worse.

I think I have a clear idea that these tyres are under-par and Vittoria have really been very helpful so far investigating the cause of the tear and supplying me with genuine wheels and tyres. Awaiting outcome of investigation.

MTB has many risks I accept. What I cannot accept is the sale of a vital piece of equipment, that fails so dramatically. It would seem obvious and important to warn others of the risk of buying online tyre stock. Always try to determine from the seller if they are genuine product and contact Vittoria if you're not sure.

Here is an example of things going badly wrong ... I got a 50% discounted set of Vitorria tyres (saguaro and barzo) online.So far ok. Have them fitted. Still ok. Prepping for Houw Hoek and on the 5th ride on the tyres coming down Tafelberg from the blockhouse at 40 km/hr the beading on the front tyre rips. Note - not the tyre wall. A catastrophic tyre failure. Time off work for serious concussion, AC popped and wrist damage plus major abrasions and 10K repairs on the bike, and medical costs of a few grand, I'm lucky to have ridden the Houw Hoek last weekend (taped up) when things could have been much much worse.

I think I have a clear idea that these tyres are under-par and Vittoria have really been very helpful so far investigating the cause of the tear and supplying me with genuine wheels and tyres. Awaiting outcome of investigation.

MTB has many risks I accept. What I cannot accept is the sale of a vital piece of equipment, that fails so dramatically. It would seem obvious and important to warn others of the risk of buying online tyre stock. Always try to determine from the seller if they are genuine product and contact Vittoria if you're not sure.

Flip, glad you got to do the ride. 

But how often do we take things at face value for being the real deal. I have never checked my tyres on my car serial numbers!

damn sounds crazy, glad you made it through ok, who did you buy it from?

Mmm, maybe I must check if there is serial numbers on the set of Vittorias I bought at the CTCT expo....

Luckily not fitted yet.

Glad you still with us, and thanks for the heads-up! Just goes to show, Vittoria warned of this many moons ago, and only now are the side effects coming to light. Really pees me off that someone can knowingly try these dodgy moves, and get away with it at the consumer's expense!!!!!!!