Medical aid

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Medihelp. Value for money. LOLz. They were good ~8 years ago. Now we just take people off them and put them on something that doesn't have an increasingly old and sick client base.

Absolutely agree. One of the most important factors to consider is not what members consider such as solvency, average age, administration costs, longivity, average increases, benefit reductions etc etc...Size of scheme, product selection, claims paying ability and turn around, service etc etc.

The writing was on the wall many years ago for Liberty Medical Scheme.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Absolutely agree. One of the most important factors to consider is not what members consider such as solvency, average age, administration costs, longivity, average increases, benefit reductions etc etc...Size of scheme, product selection, claims paying ability and turn around, service etc etc.

yep. 

Only true if you've got a pre-existing condition, and even then in this case they'd still have cover for PMB's. If they'd been new entrants to the med aid sphere or been with their existing provider for less than 24 months, then it's a different story as 12 month condition specific waiting periods would be a possibility. 

But again - only if there is a pre-existing condition. 

cool - thanks

my wife is on chronic meds...that's probably why I was told this fact

Meh. Admin is useless. 

That is a pity.... On the surface they seem to offer some pretty good packages.

With admin being probably the most important bridge between good and bad cover, one would think a company that big would have it sussed.

Like most things though, what you pay for is not always what you get re service and responsibility!

cool - thanks

my wife is on chronic meds...that's probably why I was told this fact

yeah. Okay, then you'd get it, but it may not affect the supply of chronic. Depends where you're getting the medication from and whether it's on the list of approved medication for PMB purposes. 

From someone who has to deal with hospital claims all the time.

NO ONE BEATS DISCOVERY.

they are leagues ahead of the other medical aids when it comes to what they are willing to cover.

CAMAF beats discovery. If you check into hospital, they cover everything, regardless of rate. For kiddies surgery, 500% med aid rates, all covered. 

hahahahahahahahahahahaha! 

Medihelp. Value for money. LOLz. They were good ~8 years ago. Now we just take people off them and put them on something that doesn't have an increasingly old and sick client base. 

:eek: Is there something I should know about Medihelp?

If I can weigh in here, I've been with Momentum since end of 2007 and before that I was on Discovery for 2 years. My wife has moved back to Disco at the beginning of 2017 and I'm still with Mom. 

Here's my take on the two: If you've got a pre-existing chronic condition then Discovery is better, if not then go with Mom. 

Mom. has little "loop holes" for lack of a better term which nails you in the long run if you do not pay attention. For instance, they charge a debit interest on funds kept in the Health Saver (have a look at the bottom of the statement - it normally shows the % there).

Secondly: If you have a chronic condition and do not collect your medication from the correct pharmacy then they will take the outstanding amount out of the savings without informing you on why there's a shortfall. I had multiply as well as Vitality and ended up cancelling it as I felt that I was wasting my money (but seeing the post about the takealot vouchers has given me reason to re-evaluate my decision) 

Gap Cover: The law has changed regarding the amount they're able to pay and also the category into which the cover falls (i.e. short term insurance and or other form of cover) - I'm not 100% clued up on the ins and outs of the cover but my guy told me that you can have quite a long waiting period to get the cover. In my opinion I think it's better to just stick with the preferred suppliers and doing a bit of admin prior to getting a procedure done rather than just going to the first available dude.   

Meh. Admin is useless. 

Would be interested to know what your opinion of Bonitas is???

If I can weigh in here, I've been with Momentum since end of 2007 and before that I was on Discovery for 2 years. My wife has moved back to Disco at the beginning of 2017 and I'm still with Mom. 

Here's my take on the two: If you've got a pre-existing chronic condition then Discovery is better, if not then go with Mom. 

Mom. has little "loop holes" for lack of a better term which nails you in the long run if you do not pay attention. For instance, they charge a debit interest on funds kept in the Health Saver (have a look at the bottom of the statement - it normally shows the % there).

Secondly: If you have a chronic condition and do not collect your medication from the correct pharmacy then they will take the outstanding amount out of the savings without informing you on why there's a shortfall. I had multiply as well as Vitality and ended up cancelling it as I felt that I was wasting my money (but seeing the post about the takealot vouchers has given me reason to re-evaluate my decision) 

Gap Cover: The law has changed regarding the amount they're able to pay and also the category into which the cover falls (i.e. short term insurance and or other form of cover) - I'm not 100% clued up on the ins and outs of the cover but my guy told me that you can have quite a long waiting period to get the cover. In my opinion I think it's better to just stick with the preferred suppliers and doing a bit of admin prior to getting a procedure done rather than just going to the first available dude.   

I can make my monthly multiply premium back with just 3 boxes of nappies :huh:

Would be interested to know what your opinion of Bonitas is???

My guess is "meh"

LOL, seems only Discovery and Momentum don't receive "meh"

CAMAF beats discovery. If you check into hospital, they cover everything, regardless of rate. For kiddies surgery, 500% med aid rates, all covered. 

wont cover our equipment. 

just remember...you wont be covered for three months..so you will have to double up for three months or take the risk

edit...or so I hear...

sort of true ...

The new insurer MAY impose a waiting period.  Typically this applies to pre-existing conditions only.  Typically you are covered for accidents etc from the start

NO, you may NOT "double up".

I dunno hey...I have never ever had a problem with profmed...every now and then I think about switching to capitalise on the incentive schemes etc...but then I look at the core function (being medical insurance) and I just cannot fault them..and quickly dismiss that idea

Profmed is a "closed scheme", allowing only graduate professionals onto the scheme.  Statistically this group claims less, thus better value for money options available ....

DO note that 2015/16 saw a significant migration of people to Profmed, thus they had to cut back on some cover limits for 2017 ....

Archived