Zwift cheap n quick

zmc99

I have a Normal Giant Mag Trainer (Blue) and a Garmin Edge 500

Any luck for me?

you will be good with ant+ stick and speed sensor.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The normal trainer stuff is fine for getting started on zwift but I think to really enjoy it you need a smart trainer. Its just so much more immersive when the resistance changes automatically according to terrain.

But, if their is no resistance control, won't a person on dumb trainer & speed sensor setup just fly past everyone else up the hills?

Edited by Harryn

But, if their is no resistance control, won't a person on dumb trainer & speed sensor setup just fly past everyone else up the hills?

No because your virtual speed on Zwift is based on power only. On a "dumb" trainer Zwift uses your resistance (based on your trainer) and speed (from your speed sensor) to work out what your power is (or it will use your Power Meter measurement if you have one). So on a "dumb" trainer you will maintain high speed at a constant resistance - ie constant power and constant riding style. A smart trainer increases the resistance so your speed slows down, but your power remains relatively constant as you push harder at the lower speed. This increased resistance actually provides an advantage for smart trainers on the uphills as there is more resistance to work against meaning you can produce more watts. 

Where you have the advantage on a dumb trainer is actually on the downhills. The smart trainer reduces the resistance so you actually spin out on the trainer. the "dumb" trainer doesn't change, so you can continue to push high watts on a 10% decline. 

Why will i rather buy R10k Smart Trainer than a R5k smart trainer?

Like the Tacx Ones?

Isn't all of them doing the same job?

Why will i rather buy R10k Smart Trainer than a R5k smart trainer?

Like the Tacx Ones?

Isn't all of them doing the same job?

Check the DC Rainmaker reviews. My summary: it is about noise level, bike stability, max power and gradient the trainer can simulate, and potential damage to your wheel with back wheel on vs. off models.

I have the Tacx Flux which is the middle of the road best of both worlds (not most expensive, but tries to give you all of the advantages of the expensive ones).

Thanks for all. You r guys input.

Managed to borrow a dumb trainer for now.

Well. Setup it up, and then decide from there which. Way to go

Thanks for all. You r guys input.

Managed to borrow a dumb trainer for now.

Well. Setup it up, and then decide from there which. Way to go

I use a Tacx satori with Zwift. Measures power but doesn't change resistance manually. I thoroughly enjoy Zwift, it is the interaction with others that makes it fun, amazing how much harder you ride when you have someone to chase.

I was testing the ios version of Zwift last night and went in to spectator mode, the guy riding next to the random person it chose to spectate was none other than Mr FanieVB.

I was testing the ios version of Zwift last night and went in to spectator mode, the guy riding next to the random person it chose to spectate was none other than Mr FanieVB.

I wondered where that ride on came from, I never saw your name pop onto the list of riders nearby.

I enjoy zwift, with the normal idt I couldn't last 30min (discovery min) now, an hour flies by

and I don't have to feel guilty riding while my wife needs to stay at home looking after the little one.

Edited by fanievb

I wondered where that ride on came from, I never saw your name pop onto the list of riders nearby.

I enjoy zwift, with the normal idt I couldn't last 30min (discovery min) now, an hour flies by

and I don't have to feel guilty riding while my wife needs to stay at home looking after the little one.

Yeah I was the random ride on that popped up. I dont really know the course so I spectated you for a while to take a look around. Got my powerbeam all sorted now and hooked up so Im going to be taking a ride around the island this evening. 

Yeah I was the random ride on that popped up. I dont really know the course so I spectated you for a while to take a look around. Got my powerbeam all sorted now and hooked up so Im going to be taking a ride around the island this evening. 

see you there. I'll be the oke slowing down on the KOM section cause my recovery interval is starting 

So I have never really put much time into Zwift until Tuesday night when I tried to chase Fanie(#varkhart) and AntonJ around. One thing I realised quickly is that when you are just cycling around with someone and they take a turn then they disappear very quickly!

I also realised that if you dont know your way around you can take a turn yourself that puts you into some serious climbing!! 

5 mins in and I was heading up and that lasted for another 45 mins before it pointed down again...

Zwift is awesome :)

So I have never really put much time into Zwift until Tuesday night when I tried to chase Fanie(#varkhart) and AntonJ around. One thing I realised quickly is that when you are just cycling around with someone and they take a turn then they disappear very quickly!

I also realised that if you dont know your way around you can take a turn yourself that puts you into some serious climbing!! 

5 mins in and I was heading up and that lasted for another 45 mins before it pointed down again...

Zwift is awesome :)

I never fiddle with the arrows...let it chose the path.