Trail Etiquette

Irons

Keen to get some Hub input on this topic. I've spent some time on the trails in PE, around the baakens valley areas, got hooked, and am now taking it up in CTN.

Question is, I noticed on many occasions that riders don't necessarily follow the stated direction of the trail, but complete it in reverse. What is the expectation around this, and beyond being generally considerate for others, what constitutes good manners/etiquette on the trail?

Keen to get some Hub input on this topic. I've spent some time on the trails in PE, around the baakens valley areas, got hooked, and am now taking it up in CTN.

Question is, I noticed on many occasions that riders don't necessarily follow the stated direction of the trail, but complete it in reverse. What is the expectation around this, and beyond being generally considerate for others, what constitutes good manners/etiquette on the trail?

The Baakens trails are ridden in both directions, there are a few exceptions like "Killer downhill" and a few other sections that are ridden one way due to the speed and danger. Being a free trail with many options one has to live with oncoming riders.

There are also dog walkers , runners and commuters using the trails in both directions. All the other trails in and around PE have specific direction.

Without being trail/town/area specific, I think the best way to treat other trail users with respect is to firstly, follow the trail's directions (if that is the case), then keep left/pass right whenever possible.

The 'Spruit incidents of wannabe race-snakes bombing along at full speed three abreast and then shouting "Trail" at oncoming traffic like it's an elixir for idiocy, or a cure-all, is not the best way to engender harmony :)

If it's a mixed use trail, treat the other users like you'd like to be treated, and things should work out peachy!

If there is a stated direction of the trail - don't be a boks, follow the direction. Quite simple in my opinion.

But like many have said, if it is a dual direction trail, use common sense. When overtaking be patient as you may be faster than the guy you are overtaking, but I can promise you at some point you will be overtaken and will want to be treated with respect when being overtaken. Quite simply, trail etiquette is common sense - even though you would think it is rocket science by the way many riders behave. It's like some people believe that after having ridden for a couple years and becoming lekker fit and fast the trail becomes your property, while newbs are just guests. This is of course the minority, so if you do happen to come across one of these individuals, simply do not even let them upset you or ruin your day :)

I have another form of trail etiquette, that was thrust upon my eyes last Saturday as I got passed by a gentleman on his MTB at Bottelary Hills, kitted out in a very worn out bibshort, that was completely see through, all the way to his hairy ass. That is also a bit of a harsh situation that needs addressing. I was laughing so hard I couldn't be the one to tell him though.

I broke 3 fingers at red barn because A dude was riding in the opposite direction. He didn't know the area so all was forgiven.

Still ended k@k for me though.

If the trail is free don't complain..

I don't know what is acceptable, but know that riding up a stretch of single track staring at your phone with earphones in as some idiot was doing this PM is NOT acceptable.

Hermanus trails has a few sections, especially in the first few kilometers, that are shared both ways .....

With our last ride we saw they separated another section to try and create single traffic as far as possible.

But the start will always be shared, and it can be ridden too fast with blind turns .... It takes some common sense and mutual respect to use safely .....

Archived