Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge - #CC2017

Bonus

I am starting from the charity DD at 8:40 with a slow group of people, am aiming for something under 3:30 or even towards 3:00 - if anyone with similar ambitions is in that bunch please PM, maybe we can roll together?

Im also starting at 8:40 with charity bunch. would like to go under 4:00 but im on a MTB and its my 1st ever 947 race so not sure if im a bit too ambitious here hehe.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the possibility of proper Bunches/groups forming from "J", last year I started in L and it was pretty much every man for himself?

What is the possibility of proper Bunches/groups forming from "J", last year I started in L and it was pretty much every man for himself?

Probably as good a chance as in L... :P

Probably as good a chance as in L... :P

It was like that at the Macsteel event as well[emoji26][emoji26]

Sent from my LG-M400 using Tapatalk

The top guys in ML at the Macsteel event did sub 3's

If I could get a group like we got in EL, I will be more tan happy.

94.7 is a different cattle of fish to tackle in this regard...LOTS of up and down and not many "flat" areas...to get a group / bunch to work with (people you have never met before) even for 30 minutes will be a uphill battle (excuse the pun).

One thing that "might" work is to start close to the front of your group as possible and once started then let the racing snakes go ahead and chase the bunch/es ahead of you...then either filter back through your starting bunch until you feel happy with the bunch / group you are in, or stay in front and let the group / stronger guys pass and try and stick to a group you could hang on to.

But even guys that you train with every week could not be easy to stay together in a group around the 94.7 route...try to stick to a few guys / group/s passing through.

I was in J last year - it was every man for himself unfortunately. I'm hoping that from D this year there is some more cohesion! 

If I could get a group like we got in EL, I will be more tan happy.

Yeah, that EL group was pretty amazing. Was bleak when I got dropped (at about 83km)

Apart from the one douche with earphones in who was weaving all over the place.

I was in J last year - it was every man for himself unfortunately. I'm hoping that from D this year there is some more cohesion! 

It also has to do with training and how fit a person is come race day...the fitter you are the easier it will be to stick to a group / bunch. The earlier groups (A-E/F/G) generally have "fitter" people and might be easier to form a group that work together...enjoy and happy riding from D.

Welcome to every race I do. 

Morning hubbers,

I have an entry for sale as my dad broke some ribs and can's fly.

PM me and we can discuss price.

Ciao

S

Hi all.

I have a noob question:  :eek:

I'm participating in the road event and will do it via my trusty MTB (equipped with alpha male slicks for the said event). I'm currently able to fairly comfortable complete 40-60km MTB rides with knobblies and is as such wondering about the amount of water required for such an event.

Should I take a 2L camelbak classic type of setup for some additional energy replenishing along the way or are the water points close enough to avoid the camelbak setup and simply refuel between stations (using only a water bottle and the energy replenishment being provided)? 

Archived