Some advice on Tokai trails

SAwonderer

Hi all. Please could someone help with some info here. I'm visiting from JHB and brought my bike down. I haven't been able to ride much down here but have a chance to ride from 4 to 6pm today and would like to try the Tokai forest trails. Ideally the floaty/flowing jumpy lines and single track.

Do I need a permit? Where exactly do I park? And start? Which trails would you recommend?? And any security issues to watch out for?

Thanks so much,

Brad

Hi Brad, where are you staying? There may be other options closer to you. Tokai closes at 5pm so it would probably be better to start at 3pm.

I'm on my back from Hermanus so I'll only be able to get there at 15:30 earliest. Surely an hour would be better than nothing?

Definitely better than nothing! There is map of the trails at the start. You should have enough time to ride boulders, mamba, puffadder and vasbyt to the bottom. If you use Google maps you can search tokai forest braai and picnic area. This is the start. R75 gets you in. iride Africa should have a map of tokai on their website probably a good idea to check it out beforehand. Tokai is pretty close to Claremont, max 15 min away. Enjoy!

I'm on my back from Hermanus so I'll only be able to get there at 15:30 earliest. Surely an hour would be better than nothing?

If you're on your way back from Hermanus I suggest a slight diversion off the N2 to Stellenbosch. Assuming you have your bike with you. Go to Gspot. Its closer to you.

You'll have more time to ride. Entry is free. The trails are easy to navigate and there are more than enough jumps and single track to keep you happy.

I love Tokai. But you're doing yourself a terrible injustice trying to cram a ride in there that late. Especially on your first time.

Gspot location

https://youtu.be/zDwVyW_cBQM

If you're on your way back from Hermanus I suggest a slight diversion off the N2 to Stellenbosch. Assuming you have your bike with you. Go to Gspot. Its closer to you.

You'll have more time to ride. Entry is free. The trails are easy to navigate and there are more than enough jumps and single track to keep you happy.

I love Tokai. But you're doing yourself a terrible injustice trying to cram a ride in there that late. Especially on your first time.

Gspot location

https://youtu.be/zDwVyW_cBQM

100% agreed

Hi everyone. Sorry for the delayed response! Thank you so much for all the information. As everyone pointed out I didn't leave myself enough time to enjoy Tokai like I would have liked but it was better than nothing. 

Trance Dance, thanks for your message - I parked in the parking lot at 4:15pm with the knowledge that I had to be out by 5pm. Wasn't nearly enough time though - took me a while to ride to the bottom of the trails and ended up riding DH3, 3 times. But I loved it. 

popcorn_skollie, I should have but was with family and didn't have my bike with me. I have ridden there before (earlier in the week actually). It's the absolute best place I have ever ridden in my life!

Thanks very much for all the advice everyone. Even though I rode the same trail 3 times I had a blast. Will definitely be back! 

• 3 months later...

Hi guys. 

Me and a mate want to check out Tokai (first time going there!) this weekend. I have a few questions:

1. Where do we buy a permit to ride and what are the costs?

2. I know security have been a issue in the past, is it safe to go out there on a Saturday 

morning from about 8am?

3. Are the trails well marked? (Will we get lost easily as first timers to Tokai?)

4. What are the best trails to check out? 

Thank you.

Permit is bought at the picnic area parking entrance. R75 pp for a day pass. Yes, it's high. No, we don't see any of it.

Absolutely safe.

Well marked, but you can still get lost if you're navigationally challenged. Put it this way - if you get lost, you're a doofus.

I'd say the following trails would be good for first timers:

Boulders (up and down - only dual direction trail on the mountain)

Mamba

Boomslang

Snake eyes

Vasbyt

If you're feeling more adventurous, the Bridal Path (switchbacks) as well as Cobra are a MUST. Technically challenging for most people though.

DH trails are also mint, but are more technical.

Trails open at 8.

Hi guys. 

Me and a mate want to check out Tokai (first time going there!) this weekend. I have a few questions:

1. Where do we buy a permit to ride and what are the costs?

2. I know security have been a issue in the past, is it safe to go out there on a Saturday 

morning from about 8am?

3. Are the trails well marked? (Will we get lost easily as first timers to Tokai?)

4. What are the best trails to check out? 

Thank you.

1. permits for sale at the picnic site hut, also where you park

2. no security issues, there are rangers/monitors on patrol

3. trails are well marked. Check out Strava or RideOut maps to orientate yourself to where the main trails are.

4. go up on the jeep tracks. down on the single tracks. choose between the the downhill lines or the cross country style single tracks. Personally I stay away from DH but love all the snake trails and Vasbyt.

Cool, thanks!

The funds raised for the Santa Cruz competition, are these pumped back into the trails and area? Looking forward to go ride there!

Cool, thanks!

The funds raised for the Santa Cruz competition, are these pumped back into the trails and area? Looking forward to go ride there!

Yes. Most definitely. If you follow TokaiMTB mountain bike central on twitter and Facebook, you'll see the fruits of those funds.

More to come, though.