Bela Bela 5150 2017

EmJayZA

Flip that water was surprisingly cold last year. My Garmin measured 18°C. Even with a wet-suit it was flipping cold, took my breath away for a moment as I entered.

Difficult to quantify how much time it will save you, if any, because you need to struggle for a moment or two to get the thing off as well.

I am not a strong confident swimmer, so the added buoyancy just gives me the little bit of confidence to do it. Personally I wouldn't easily do a swim portion without a wetsuit.

18c is pretty chilly. I battled last time with getting my suit over my Garmin, so think I lost a minute there. 

I see a new version of Athlete Guide is on the site:

http://eu.ironman.com/~/media/ffeda2b030fb4144b486188a22375370/5150%20bela%20bela%20athlete%20info%20guide%20v1.pdf

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18c is pretty chilly. I battled last time with getting my suit over my Garmin, so think I lost a minute there. 

I see a new version of Athlete Guide is on the site:

http://eu.ironman.com/~/media/ffeda2b030fb4144b486188a22375370/5150%20bela%20bela%20athlete%20info%20guide%20v1.pdf

I have my garmin either on my wrist with the sleeve pulled up or on top of the wetsuit, as soon as out of water, first thing i do is take the garmin off, and hold the strap with my teeth... then pull the wetsuit off

I have my garmin either on my wrist with the sleeve pulled up or on top of the wetsuit, as soon as out of water, first thing i do is take the garmin off, and hold the strap with my teeth... then pull the wetsuit off

It won't stop the timer or start the transition? I think I will take off my watch, pull off sleeve, put watch back on and then start T1 timer, just in case I hit the button by mistake. 

It won't stop the timer or start the transition? I think I will take off my watch, pull off sleeve, put watch back on and then start T1 timer, just in case I hit the button by mistake. 

The fenix3 has a lock that you can activate to prevent any errand button presses during the racing, worked pretty well for me last time round.

How many minutes will a wetsuit save? I'm not too fussed about swimming cold water.

In an Olympic Distance, not too much.  But the water is frikken cold so if you can, get one.  Try not borrow one as getting out the water there is broken concrete and rocks and I and a heap of people i know scratched/cut our wetsuits.  The water is really shallow so you can put your feet down in most places.  In the later heats you also do get a bit of a current going which is cool.

Like its been mentioned the cycle is 2 laps and it has some pretty steep climbing.  Don't burn your matches on the first lap.  Try ride it pretty conservatively then you will know how much more you can give on the 2nd lap.  Also remember to leave some in the tank for the run.  Its really flat and last year was cooking hot so if you burnt your matches on the ride its going to be a long 10km.

Edited by Davey_Jones

In an Olympic Distance, not much or pretty much nothing.  But the water is frikken cold so if you can, get one.  Try not borrow one as getting out the water there is broken concrete and rocks and I and a heap of people i know scratched/cut our wetsuits.  The water is really shallow so you can put your feet down in most places.  In the later heats you also do get a bit of a current going which is cool.

Like its been mentioned the cycle is 2 laps and it has some pretty steep climbing.  Don't burn your matches on the first lap.  Try ride it pretty conservatively then you will know how much more you can give on the 2nd lap.  Also remember to leave some in the tank for the run.  Its really flat and last year was cooking hot so if you burnt your matches on the ride its going to be a long 10km.

I can rent a wetsuit but correct me if I am wrong but the money could be better used for a bike setup? I don't road bike at all so that might actually save me minutes and keep me fresher for the run. 

I just saw on the pdf now it is only 17m elevation gain on the run which is nothing! Even the cycle is under 400m which isn't bad. The swim is also pretty flat, which i'm used to!

Edited by Dieter ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I can rent a wetsuit but correct me if I am wrong but the money could be better used for a bike setup? I don't road bike at all so that might actually save me minutes and keep me fresher for the run. 

I just saw on the pdf now it is only 17m elevation gain on the run which is nothing! Even the cycle is under 400m which isn't bad. The swim is also pretty flat, which i'm used to!

A fit will make you more comfortable, but saddle time is more important I think. There are 25 days left, so I recommend making up your mind quickly though. You want to get used to whatever you changes you make to the bike (if you do). If cost is an issue, there are a ton of videos online to help with fit issues. With some patience and time, I am sure you can do it yourself. 

I also don't think 400m is too much climbing if you have trained for it. The guys that did Jock this weekend would probably agree too  :ph34r:

My Garmin from last year registered 550m climbing on the bike.  That's a fair amount for 40km and considering its a triathlon.

Remember the bike leg is the biggest portion of the race so you should be putting a proportionate amount of bike training in.

I use the triathlon app on my fenix 3, get out of the water, hit the lap button, remove watch, hold watch strap in teeth and have 2 free arms to get out of suit whilst running to bike.  Put watch back on, then cyclee kit and go, hit lap as come out of T1 and watch will go to cycle leg.

What you described is what I described earlier

Edited by shaper

as far as tri's go this has a crappy swim, the water is like swimming in choc milk and its cold, not sure its a great idea without a wetsuit .

The cycle is actually a great ride , two laps up and over the mountain behind bela bela, the nice thing is you can climb and rest - climb and rest . as apposed to a flat ride that actually eats into your legs more as you constantly loading them .

The run is flat and fun as you go in and around the campsite with camper always cheering you on .

All in all if this is a first tri for you its alot of fun , soak up the atmosphere and learn ..Freeze your bottles the night before as once you rack your bike its a while till you start and as its hot they will defrost by the time you start and be nice and cold .

From now try train on the weekends at midday just so you can get used to it as we tend to train early when its chilli and then bela bela hands you 30deg temps 

Most importantly just go do the dam thing.  If its your first tri you will be nervous, you will pooh your pants (figuratively and maybe literally), it will be tough but it will be absolutely epic and you will fall in love with Triathlon. That feeling of running down the red carpet (blue carpet for 5150) is phenomenal.

Oh, don't forget to get your high five from Paul Kaye or whoever the announcer is before crossing the line, its tradition and some dont feel they have finished the race till they get their high 5.

P.s Your wallet will hate you from then on as well.