Could tandem mtb save my Trans Bavians?

NixM

Point to consider though is that even on a tandem you're still aiding in balance and steering and I don't know how safe you're going to be one-handing it when the leverage collector comes knocking. Especially when the one arm doing all the heavy lifting hasn't been trained to do it all.

This is my concern. We have never ridden a tandem before. Now to do it with a broken arm for 230km could be difficult. Also like Myles says if I need yo pull out my partner is also out.

hit the bench Nix, and come back in on the next game hungry to win!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Learning to ride a tandem.

Learning to ride off road on a tandem

Learning to ride a tandem one handed

Learning to ride a tandem with a bust wrist.

Tomorrow is another day. 

(My take on the situation)

NixM is a doctor, but don't thinks like a doctor.

Sepia is not a doctor, but thinks like a doctor :D

The hill climbs are a bit more rocky, especially the fangs (although they have put cement paths up them this year). You may need to consider walking some of the hills and be cautious coming down Bergplaas if you don't come down there during the later half of the day before sunset.

Also remember, if you are a team of two, you cannot complete it on a tandem. You need to complete the event with two bicycles - (i.e. if you go down a pass, someone must be able to say where).

Look at all the responsible answers in here, and this on a Monday!!! :thumbup:

As for what I would have done: Do as much recovery as possible, this includes whatever can be done to aid in speeding up the recovery. Then soften up the suspension a bit, get the best wrist brace I can find and still ride it! Taking extra care on the technical bits and slowing on the descents. Should things go wrong break the fall with the face...

This is not advice, and should probably not be taken by anyone, just something I would do.

Thanks guys who knew bikeHub would have common sense answers. It is just really bad FOMO making me think crazy.

Flog entry and enter the Waterberg Extreme. Gives your wrist another month to recover. Fitness not wasted ^_^

The thought of riding some of that route with 100% fitness makes me weak at the knees. The thought of riding with a bust wrist brings tears to my eyes.

If you're suffering from from FOMO, do backup or something. While it's a great event, there is always next year.

My answer would be a hard no..

If it was an amazing ride with a different route and scenery change each year I would consider egging you on, but Trans Bav is Trans Bav... The risk vs reward is really not worth it.

2018 can see you back on the start line for exactly the same sufferfest (barring weather).

I had to give up 2016 Lesotho sky 5 days before the event and it killed me but I got over it.

Good luck with the recovery... that looks nasty

I am a doctor i know the risks. I want to know if I accept the risk would it be possible to finish.

Get a second opinion :whistling:

Good luck with the decision NixM!

This is probably just the oxycodon in my system combined with bitter disappointment but yesterday I had a crazy idea.

I had a front wheel washout in the mud last weekend which resulted in a fractured radius. The first thought I had after seeing my clearly broken wrist was how could happen 4 weeks before the trans bavians? I am the fittest I have ever been and we have trained so hard for the last 6 months. I cried not from pain but disappointment.

My radius now has a titanium plate in it and the cast is coming off in a week.

I am very aware of the medical risks of falling again on a 4 week old fracture. I know at 4 weeks there is no way I would be able to hold a handlebar for 230km.

Would it be possible to sit on the back of a tandem and hold on with one hand?

How difficult is it to get used to riding a tandem?

What tandem would be needed to survive the trans bavians?

Does anyone have a tandem they are wanting to sell / rent for the weekend of the 12 August?

Am I being crazy?

I say do it. You are a doctor, you know the risks.

The best bet would to get a tandem but put aero bars either side of partners bum, that way you are resting on arms, not wrists. good luck and hammer!!

After I broke my collar bone I waited the full 3 weeks 4 days to get on the road bike again. So 4 weeks should be enough time for MTB :P

IMO not worth the risk.

You are taking a big risk (which you obviously know) for what will be a very uncomfortable, unenjoyable, gravel grinding experience looking at your partners backside for 230km. On top of that the descents will be sketchy at best, ascents will be slow because you won't be able to stand or get proper leverage on the bars. 

All of us take risks because we love being on the bike, but why take the risk when you will probably not even enjoy the ride at all? Rather rest, recover, and take it on next year. You can keep 90% of your fitness on an indoor trainer whilst recovering.

My answer would be a hard no..

If it was an amazing ride with a different route and scenery change each year I would consider egging you on, but Trans Bav is Trans Bav... The risk vs reward is really not worth it.

2018 can see you back on the start line for exactly the same sufferfest (barring weather).

I had to give up 2016 Lesotho sky 5 days before the event and it killed me but I got over it.

Good luck with the recovery... that looks nasty

I'm with Jewbacca on this one. For all its merits Trans Baviaans is not exactly a one-off once in a lifetime opportunity. No reason to suffer through it with an injured wrist when you can do it next year injury free.

All the best with the healing process!

I broke wrist in Oct last year...still got plates in. im very scared of breaking it again and nervous on the descents..dont wanna spend the next 45yrs with a fused wrist. Will you be ok with not being able to see where you are going? 

Maybe im a woos but i dont think its a great idea to ride. there is always next year 

Only one person can answer this question: you yourself.

You have all the necessary input: condition of break, healing process and pain threshold.

Decide on a day to day basis - you can't do more than that anyway. Keep training.

It's such a personal decision nobody else can make for you - or encourage you to.

One piece of advice: don't do the tandem thing. Control the "controllables" - don't add an unknown/unsure into the equation. If you do ride (and you will need one proper test ride before) then assess and know your escape routes (re. fall).

All I know is this: i would do it. But that's me. I dislocated my shoulder once - 5 days later on bike again, then 3 weeks later did a Sani2c. Found a good shoulder brace for comfort.

Good luck Nix

Archived