2 or 3-Day mountain bike ride non-circular: Western Cape

Hi

We would like to do a multi-day mountain bike ride in the Western Cape, but non-circular. So start point A and end up point B. Had a look at the capecycleroutes.co.za but does not really look like proper mountain bike riding (ideally would like some single track, jeep track, technical downhills etc). Any recommendations would be really appreciated?

Thanks

Jaco

Wine2whales?

the Cape Cycle Route is more of a trekking initiative to boost tourism.

Otherwise you can make up your own route by connecting the different trail centres. Will still be a lot of gravel or tar to connect everything.

Why don't you take the train to Matjiesfontein and cycle back from there. We did it a few years ago and found some amazing riding. We planned our route on 1:50 000 maps from the city topo office and roughly knew where we wanted to end up.

We came through the old unused Hex river valley train tunnels, breede river valley, bainskloof and wellington trails and then headed to tableview to finish up along the cycle track to the waterfront.

Make a map and link the places you want to go and then plot a route.

It's pretty simple once you start

Why don't you take the train to Matjiesfontein and cycle back from there. We did it a few years ago and found some amazing riding. We planned our route on 1:50 000 maps from the city topo office and roughly knew where we wanted to end up.

We came through the old unused Hex river valley train tunnels, breede river valley, bainskloof and wellington trails and then headed to tableview to finish up along the cycle track to the waterfront.

That sounds awesome!  I'd love to do a trip like that.

Ok here is what I would do:

Day 1: Knysna to GRTP (Barrington) with a lap at GRTP

Day 2: GRTP to George and ride the Saasveld Single track

Hi

We would like to do a multi-day mountain bike ride in the Western Cape, but non-circular. So start point A and end up point B. Had a look at the capecycleroutes.co.za but does not really look like proper mountain bike riding (ideally would like some single track, jeep track, technical downhills etc). Any recommendations would be really appreciated?

Thanks

Jaco

Self supported, or guided?

I know a guy...

Hi

Thanks

Jaco

cederberg

Checked out the train schedule a while ago,it seems the train get Prince Alfred Road at about 12pm.So Matjies must be early evening.Did you stay in the Lord Milner Hotel?.I am thinking about going Pr Alfred Rd -Klaarstroom- Rietbron- Avontuur-Knysna-George

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, I'm going to be visiting SA in Dec 17. Would this route be advisable in summer? Just don't know how hot/dry it gets.

Also had the idea of riding fat bike from Arniston to Struisbaai around that time and would appreciate feedback on the wisdom of such a trip.

I do a great deal of bikepacking in Arizona and Colorado and have done 10 day trips, but it's my home turf... I've visited these areas in SA by car, but no 2 wheeled adventures.

I'm planning the travel with an Ibis Transfat, with a gates carbon belt, maybe SS or with an internal geared hub.

Edited by ajrmd2002

• 4 months later...

Hi Jewbacca,

your Matjiesfontein trip sounds great. Do you have the route as GPX?

Hi Jewbacca,

your Matjiesfontein trip sounds great. Do you have the route as GPX?

Hey Mark..

I don't think I do. We planned it old school with 1:50 000 topographical maps and a compass.

It was an absolute blast. Guys are a bit too hung up on logistics etc... If you pack your bags and go, you wont die if you get a bit lost and have to improvise!

Hey Mark..

I don't think I do. We planned it old school with 1:50 000 topographical maps and a compass.

It was an absolute blast. Guys are a bit too hung up on logistics etc... If you pack your bags and go, you wont die if you get a bit lost and have to improvise!

Hi,

thanks for the feedback. We are a small group and have done several self-supported multi day trips, as well as some trips with a back up vehicle. It was a mix of wild camping and proper accommodation. One of our "members" is a keen motor bike rider and often goes off with other friends on off the beaten track trips. He has come up with some interesting MTB trip routes. Some backfired (like cycling through Kagga Kama in Feb 2017 with 47 degrees and one participant getting heat stroke), but we pulled through and still rave about that particular trip. As such we are quite flexible and easy going. Can I PM you to get some more details about your route and where you staid? Curious to hear how long you took.