Starting Times: 78km@07h00; 54km@08h00

Organisers: The Outriders Cycle Club

Prize Giving: 11h45

Cut Off: 11h40

Online Entries: www.racetec.co.za , www.pedalpower.org.za

Online Pre-Entries Close: 17h00 8th September 2017

Late Entries Available On The Day At The Start Venue From 06h00

ROUTE DESCRIPTION

We offer cyclists 2 distances namely 78km, & 54km.

Both routes leave the Duynefontein area and head North along the R27 (West Coast Road) towards Atlantis.

The 54km route turns right to Atlantis, and the 78km continues straight until the Mamre turnoff. Both the medium and long route return through Atlantis and exit Atlantis toward Philadelphia along the tree lined road. The route turns left toward Philadelphia just before the pot-hole section. The route goes under the new N7 flyover and then turns left onto the N7 On-Ramp and keeps in the yellow lane South on the N7 toward Cape town.

The route takes the first left Off-Ramp and turns right onto the Melkboss link road (M19). The route then crosses the R27 and turns right at Melkboss Police Station returning toward Duynefontein and the finish.

DIRECTIONS TO THE VENUE

Take the R27 North and turn left at the Melkboss lights intersection (M19). Continue to the Police Station on your left and turn right at the 3 Way Stop. Continue straight for 4kms where the venue and parking will be on your right hand side.

IMPORTANT NOTES APPLICABLE TO THE ROUTE:

- Cyclists to keep left in the yellow lane on R27 & N7 sections.

- Take note of the early start time. (07h00)

Pre-Entries:

78km - R300 (Non-PPA), R220 (PPA)

54km - R300 (Non-PPA), R220 (PPA)

Late Entries:

78km - R300 (Non-PPA), R250 (PPA)

54km - R300 (Non-PPA), R250 (PPA)

Temp numbers: RNil – Included in entry fee (unseeded). Optional R30 (PPA seeding fee if you need your temp Nr seeded on the day)

Pre-Registration & PPA Number Collection:

To avoid unnecessary stress & queues on the morning of the ride, riders will be allowed to pre-register and collect their PPA numbers from Sportsman’s Warehouse, Mowbray on the Thursday afternoon before the ride.

Pre-Registration will be from 12h00 – 17h00 Thursday 7th Sep 2017

Riders will also be allowed to complete a late entry form, pay (as a late entry) and pre-register at the Sportsman’s Warehouse venue during this period.

Go to Event Page

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are really keen to do this race! If the wind blows a real fun day out!

Great! Most of you stay that side?

Since my hill climb last sunday only gave me a 40 index seeding [emoji15] I won't be riding league. Normal ppa soup for me. Think F [emoji1]

Edited by andydude

We hope to see sub bike hubbers there! Below is the press release for more info. Entries can be done via www.theoutriders.co.za, PPA or Racetec.

The fastest, flattest road race on the cycling calendar is back!

After a deviation from the usual fast route along the west coast in 2016, the West Coast Express cycle race is back to its original route for 2017 and set to take place on Sunday 10 September. Starting and finishing at the Koeberg Cricket Club in Duynefontein, situated on Cape Town’s west coast, the race offers two routes (78km and 54km) and both are (mostly) flat and fast! 2015 lived up to this reputation with average speeds over the longer route for the front group reaching almost 41km/hr.

As the first PPA road race of the season, the 78km is a great way for the seasoned riders to break the winter’s rest, and the 54km is ideal for the not-so-fit, or those just starting out in cycling.

About the route

Both routes leave the Duynefontein area and head North on the R27 towards Atlantis. The section on the R27 should see very high speeds due to pace lines as well as some possible help from the ‘infamous’ South Easter. While the 54km route turns into Atlantis, the longer route continues until the Mamre turnoff. Both routes return through Atlantis, and towards Philadelphia. Cyclists who have ridden the race before will be happy to note that the route will now turn off just before the sketchy pothole section, and continue along the N7, back towards Melkbos to the finish at Duynefontein. 

Giving back

Every year, the race organisers, the Outriders Cycle Club, select a number of non-profit organisations and charities to raise funds for, and this year, one of the beneficiaries is the Rotary Club of Melkbosstrand’s Eye Cycle Project. The project is a community-based programme that aims to prevent vision loss and blindness by promoting early detection and timely treatment of eye diseases. Riders (and their families) are encouraged to bring along any used spectacles, sunglasses or new frames to the race, and drop them in the marked bins at the start/finish venue. These will then be refurbished with new lenses if applicable, and distributed to school children in need that have been identified and tested in the programme.

There will be a festival-like atmosphere at the finish with music and food and beverages on sale, as well as a Specialized Allez E5 up for grabs at Prize Giving. Be sure to follow the official page on Facebook (West Coast Express Funride) for all the updated race details.

For more information and to enter either the 78km or the 54km, visit www.theoutriders.co.za. Registration and late entries can be done at Sportsman’s Warehouse, Mowbray on the Thursday 7 September from 12h00 - 17h00 as well as on race day.