What winter kit

Slowbee

I think what helps when deciding on winter kit is:

1. what min temperature?

2. what temperature range?

3. wet, dry?

4. windchill from the wind, or descents?

I find with the dry cold here in JHB, that a 0600 ride in the Cradle where it easily drops below 0 degs C, with some fast descents, needs.....everything I've got! Toe-caps or booties, winter tights, thermals L/S undershirt, L/S cycle top, gillet, balaclava or buff and ear warmers, thick gloves etc, and I still am often too cold. Maybe it's an age thing.....;-)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so it would be best to go with a gilet, arm warmers and leg warmers from what I've read. I do like the idea of a gilet as opposed to a jacket to keep the wind off. Other things I wear include a fleece buff and a base layer, I try to keep my ears warm as well. Mornings are not super cold, I mainly ride in Jonkershoek.

I find leg warmers to be a waste of money.

Head your head, chest, arms, hands and feet warm. I use two normal buffs, one around my neck and one on my head covering my ears. The base layer and long sleeve (Castelli Free) for my chest. Castelli Nanoflex bib shorts for legs. Gore gloves and thermal toe covers. This setup works pretty well in a 0°C situation! I will get a good gilet soon for the next winter season. 

I don't like cycling in super cold weather as ice forms on the roads. 

I find this chart pretty useful. It's brand-specific obviously but I know in winter temps are between 5 and 12 here in Cape Town/ Durbanville. XCM champs next month in Grabouw might be tricky as it normally ranges from -5 to 16 throughout the race. 

post-58711-0-78804000-1529402078_thumb.jpg

My 2 cents.  Leg warmers are vital.  If your knees are warm, it's much easier to get your legs to work.  Plus, you can use them with any shorts/bibs you alreay have and if it does start to warm, you can just stop and pull them off.  CWC just had Nalini's on clearance at R199 - bargain (normally R700).  I think they still have some available today.

Unfortunately it went like hot cakes - now they have like XXXXXXXXXL available  :(

My 2 cents.  Leg warmers are vital.  If your knees are warm, it's much easier to get your legs to work.  Plus, you can use them with any shorts/bibs you alreay have and if it does start to warm, you can just stop and pull them off.  CWC just had Nalini's on clearance at R199 - bargain (normally R700).  I think they still have some available today.

Up and out at 4.30am few days during the week, i can feel its cold but nothing too severe . T shirt, long sleeve vest and winter jacket with Normandia long leg bibs and winter socks,  long finger winter gloves and thermal socks. Coldest temp as indicated on my Garmin is -1 so far.  

Edited by scotty

Merino long sleeve baselayer with a Rapha winter jacket works well for me, down to below zero temps. Thermal bibs with leg warmers keep legs warm and the bibs can be used in autumn without leg warmers. Not a fan of full length bibs as they are season specific and tight around the knee.

Also use neoprene overshoes and insulated cap.

Edited by FrankG

www.assos.co.za

They really have amazing range and top notch quality. I know it is quite expensive, but then again a little bit of luxury while suffering goes a long way.

My winter gear from this brand last many seasons

And they go through many base miles under the harshest of conditions

Highly recommended ????????

What is the quality like? And is the sizing fairly standard? Been eyeing the out for a little as cheap, probably 1 winter worth solution. 

Please correct me if I am wrong, but B'Twin is quite a popular brand in the UK. And the reviews do not look bad at all, judging from their EU site under the cycling jerseys & tops.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-11007-cycling-jerseys-and-tops

I just wish the SA site could be so user-friendly and easy to navigate like the EU site. 

Also, more content to choose from would have been nice. For example, there is actually a few cool jerseys on the EU site that the SA site does not offer.

Here is the sizing chart:

https://www.decathlon-sports.co.za/content/size_guide/sizeguide_en.html

Edited by Andrew_Smith

absolutely lovely kit that - pricing is heavy but then it lines up with what you said.

My winter gear from this brand last many seasons
And they go through many base miles under the harshest of conditions
Highly recommended