List of Mtb races with good prize money

jamiepenfold3

Hi guys and girls

I am a mountain biker and would like to know what races in the western cape offer good prize money to the podium finishers. 

Thanks

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

keen, lean, mean and under sixteen?

I recall Matt Lombardi being hamstrung by age and the distance he was allowed to ride. Not sure what the rules are but get into XCO... it's where the money is eventually.

(relative to cycling riches... I would suggest doing really well at school so you can become a CA or an engineer because, well, there will likely be more money in that than cycling really....)

on a serious note...  it may be better to tell us what your goals are and your motive for trying to rack up some prize money.  If you're a normal kid from a normal house looking for pocket money who happens to ride your bike a bit faster than your friends, well I guess then your question is fair, but...

If you are the next peter sagan but find yourself in a situation where you cannot afford to keep your bike going or fund your training and nutrition requirements etc., you might be better off telling us your story as well as your goals, aspirations and challenges.  You never know, some folk on here might be able to help you with spare parts, assistance or support which may be worth lot more than a few bucks from getting an age-group podium spot on a local race every few weeks.

Thanks For the messages @jewbacca and @Rudi-h. Most of my racing is xco I am ranked second in the SA Cup series and I came second at SA champs. However, XCO is now finished for the year and marathon races are sometimes a good place to earn a few extra buck I am the current SA marathon Champion and I jave won the Western cape marathon series for the last 3 year's. The reason for needing the extra money is that I am saving up to race overseas next year in order to gain experience as well as vital uci points. Thanks very much for everyones input

You are obviously very talented with results like that .

Why not put a CV together and see if you can gets some small sponsors together .

It may be easier to look for a few smaller sponsors as opposed to one big sponsor .

Good Luck !!

Thanks For the messages @jewbacca and @Rudi-h. Most of my racing is xco I am ranked second in the SA Cup series and I came second at SA champs. However, XCO is now finished for the year and marathon races are sometimes a good place to earn a few extra buck I am the current SA marathon Champion and I jave won the Western cape marathon series for the last 3 year's. The reason for needing the extra money is that I am saving up to race overseas next year in order to gain experience as well as vital uci points. Thanks very much for everyones input

Congrats on all the good results bud. All the best with your venture and I hope your talent is not wasted. You have the right idea in mind with wanting to go overseas. That is where you learn how to race and get recognised.

MTB/Cycling need a new breed of Race organisers who offer a good event with good prize money!!!

Some races have had decent prize money but usually it's really crap like R100 gift voucher for 3rd place or sponsored prizes...

You don't even get ur entry fee back for breaking ur bike and putting your body on the line

MTB/Cycling need a new breed of Race organisers who offer a good event with good prize money!!!

Some races have had decent prize money but usually it's really crap like R100 gift voucher for 3rd place or sponsored prizes...

You don't even get ur entry fee back for breaking ur bike and putting your body on the line

Don't race then

Edited by BaGearA

That is rad... shows you how out of the scene I am getting.

Dude, I don't think there are ANY mtb races or enough of them to add any sort of cash injection to your overseas plans unfortunately.

My advice would be to get a night time job and start a saving plan.

Also, as I said before, don't neglect school. 1 bad crash/infection and you will be left adrift. I would really recommend waiting until you are done with school having done really well and THEN look to venture out into the world of privateering overseas.

That way you always have an option of varsity if cycling full time doesn't work out.

My take on this. You want to save some money for an ultimate goal. The fact is that you will not save because of entry fees. The entry fees and some cash bonus for a podium finish basically balance out, so real saving.

There was a mention of getting small sponsors, this needs to be persued, even if they only pay for the race entry fees, you will be saving because of the entry fees and when you podium see that as an extra bonus to your savings account.

Good luck.

That is rad... shows you how out of the scene I am getting.

Dude, I don't think there are ANY mtb races or enough of them to add any sort of cash injection to your overseas plans unfortunately.

My advice would be to get a night time job and start a saving plan.

Also, as I said before, don't neglect school. 1 bad crash/infection and you will be left adrift. I would really recommend waiting until you are done with school having done really well and THEN look to venture out into the world of privateering overseas.

That way you always have an option of varsity if cycling full time doesn't work out.

good advice - I don't think any of the major pros look at prize money as income, it's more of a bonus - sponsors is what puts food on the table. I think the two go hand in hand, win enough races and you can command the sponsors..and pardoxically - don't win enough and you lose those sponsors!

I think you need to start marketing yourself, need to get on IG/webpage and that sort of thing (that the teenagers know about anyway). I'm sure with your excellent results you will be able to secure a few already - might not be big money or anything, but everything is a stepping stone. If I was a big sponsor and I saw you already had 4/5 minor brands backing you, it shows that you have already convinced other people that you're worth it.

FYI our top XC pro has actually 'retired' this year to go do his MBA at the age of 25ish

ps. I apologise for my earlier sarcastic remark - if you'd explained it all from the beginning I wouldn't have made it. The short answer is that there are no easy ways to make prize money!