Rapide hubs any good

Rockjock

It's bad luck, but broken axles happen. If you'd paid for an expensive hub (Hope, DT Swiss, i(, Chris King) push for a warranty.

At the high quality and low price of the Rapide hubs, just swallow the cost of the new axle and carry on.

I use Rapide's rims and hub on my loan wheels because they're affordable and really durable.

Hi Nick. I have tried this morning and it is clear that warranty replacement, etc. is not an option with Rapide. Therefore, suck it up and proceed is what I am going to do. Thanks. 

Was it the 12mm Through Axle or the Internal Hub Axle?

I have had a QR skewer snap and a 10mm Cone and Cup Axle snap (on different bikes)

the QR snapped because it was to tight 

and the 10mm Cone and cup axle snapped because the QR was to loose

Hi. It was a QR through axle on a Rapide hub. Running as I normally do and have done in the past, not too tight or loose, etc. Two photos are now attached. Cheers.

post-25397-0-01116600-1606816769_thumb.jpg

post-25397-0-42606200-1606816789_thumb.jpg

Why R we Seeing all those Filings ?

Something Wrong There.

Take it to a Bike Shop for Advice.

I Like Rapide Stuff because it's Affordable (But It has gone up recently).

But at the end of the day it's all Generic Stuff (Rebranded).

The Saddle I Bought is a Velo branded Rapide.

Edited by dasilvarsa

Why R we Seeing all those Filings ?

Something Wrong There.

Take it to a Bike Shop for Advice.

Unfortunately I couldn't just stop, pick up the bike and walk home (substantial electrical storm had just started too)... So there was some riding that was done before I figured out what was going on (first time I have experienced it) or could do anything.

Would a wobble in the hub/cassette cause this? it looks like there was a high and low point on the wobble and it caught the chain in exactly the same spots up and down the cassette to create that wear pattern?

Ive never seen them wear down like that. Usually a lot more uniform and spread out. That looks like it caught the same spots ever single time it went around

post-64325-0-03681400-1606819101_thumb.jpeg

How clean is the break? Could something have been cutting into it like a pipe cutter effect?

You want to check this out before installing the replacement axle. 

I have had a closer look, it seems that it may be to do with the design of the cassette as there is what I would term a manufactured and distinct step down in those specific areas that is totally different from other areas of the cassette. And that step down causes the adjacent area to be relatively free of lubricant.

How clean is the break? Could something have been cutting into it like a pipe cutter effect?

You want to check this out before installing the replacement axle. 

To be honest it looks like it has just sheared off. And, continuing with the honesty, I think I am going to just replace the hub with the help of my local bicycle repairer. 

Ciao.

Hmm.... snapped axles are usually a warranty item.

I remember Stans had the same issue with their 1st gen 3.30 hubs. The freebody ovalised or the axle snapped/cracked on heaps of them.

I remember they were hella good on the replacement/warranty front.

How long would you like the warranty period to be? If its not profitable for the business, then all who rely on the entity will fail.

Wayne cannot be expected to extend his own personal goodwill on a product which could fail due to mechanical/production/abuse factors.

One is getting a really reasonable product for a crazy price. Suck it up and try again. At your expense. 

Still a bargain