Santa Cruz Tallboy or Cannondale Scalpel

Craiglaw

Hi Stef

Thanks for the input. I have done those suggestions, i had a full proper set up done where adjustements were made and a shorter stem was put on. I have also attended skills clinics. Hence why i think the issue is size / geometry. on the smaller medium scalper i definitely felt more confident and quicker

My choice would then also be a tallboy.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did sani2c this year on a Santa Cruz Tallboy.

Fantastic bike and I loved every minute. Going downhill it was superb.

I would still like to ride the Scalpel though.

I cant comment on the Scalpel but can say the Tallboy has worked well for me. Coming off a Swift hardtail (which climbs like a beast) the Tallboy is obviously slower on the climbs but not that bad. The Tallboy really comes into its own on the descents. Apart from confidence, the fun factor. Done a number of stage races on the SC and no problems at all.

I see your tallboy and raise you a hightower...

IMO one of the best bikes money can buy.  You might lose that 1% on long climbs, but you'll gain multiples of that on the downhills and even more if one could find a way to measure fun.

This is so true...I have a HT and it climbs most sections with in seconds of my tallboy 2.

But waaaayyyy more fun especially with those plus tyres . It's just ???????????????????????? all the way ????

I cannot comment on the Cannondale, but I've done many stage races on Tallboy's (I, II & III) and the latest one is honestly the best mountainbike I have ever ridden. 

I was initially a bit concerned about the new geometry, especially the longer top tube. But somehow it just works. 

Tallboy all-day every-day! My fave bike of all time. Does everything well imo. Can setup in various ways to suit a specific riding style more. I have raced at the sharp end as well as stage race adventures. Epic bike. Enjoy the ride.

Edited by Bosbrommer

I agree with everything said above. Yes, the Cruz's are unfortunately quite expensive, but they do have that something special. The quite cool or the x-factor. Call it what you will. But at the end of the day they put a smile on your face and that's all that really counts in my books. So yes, TB for the win.

Love my Tallboy! But try getting someone to let you test ride ( one of the guys here that own one might be convinced with a liberal amount of beer). Unfortunately I am located in CPT and ride XL Size. I have yet to find something the TB cant handle.... mine is also not best climber as I have longer than normal travel(better bombing downhills!!!).

I have a Tallboy and love it. I recently had a demo ride on a Scalpel race and was impressed, both bikes are really good - but the SC is just better! IMHO