[Event] Apple Blossom MTB

PieterCamel

he is a monster on the downhills

Hope he is a monster with a wetsuit.. early predictions are there might be some rain.  So conflicted as will love to ride the race without to much mud, but we REALLY need the rain

Did anyone receive any communication / emails regarding the registration or start times?

Not. I see on the website the only registration they have is the morning before at 06:30.

Yoh. How was that wind? On the way there on the Somerset West side we were wondering why so many cars with bikes on were on the way back already. Then we parked at the start venue and understood. I made full use of the registration process to quickly change to the 30. Really glad i did. Judging from the box nearly full of uncollected boards for the 60 i think quite a few riders opted out. Well done to all who attempted and finished any distance today. Testing conditions. I was blown over in a loose sandy section. A lady in front of me was blown slightly off the singletrack straight into a large tree stump - well done for saving yourself from falling very hard right at the end though.

This was not easy. But so much fun. Did the 30km and ended completely soaked.

First time cycling out in the Grabouw area and its really lovely.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Ok I was one of those that did the 60km.. omw it was so much fun. Yes I got the longest shower I had in a long time, but the trails so made up for it. It was a test and a challenge with brakes that squelled and especially in the first few km with having to fight the handlebars and not to go sideways.

Highlights was probably Oak valley and the trails they have there. And then not forgetting the waterpoints with some serious friendly people.And lastly those message boards for example "Dam" nice view overlooking the one dam, etc was also priceless.

The was probably my first mtb race in the rain and with some serious wind and it was not as bad as I thought it would be, but not sure yet how much damage was done to the drive chain.

Edited by LeoKnight

Now that was a tough race owing to the weather conditions. Truly a memorable first Apple Blossom. I have to admit rocking up at the venue this morning...seeing the strength of the wind and knowing that it was going to rain...I wanted to get back in the car and head home. My daughter didn't make it easy also. She told me it is to terrible to ride and we should go back. At one point out of sheer misery I tucked my head down and missed a turn off. Thank you to my fellow participants that shouted me back.

Despite the weather conditions I enjoyed the route. Well  done to the organisers. I had a blast and at the end the weather made the race more interesting. Also well done to my fellow riders who persevered to the end.

Edited by Bikes

I did the 60km with my W2W partner... we was the guys in the Amsterdam kits :-) What a fabulous day out, The trail was amazing, there was a great vibe with other riders, When the weather gods are not on your side, its that vibe that makes the time go by. The Guys that stood out there at the water points getting smashed by the rain and wind, you are my hero's of the day... Very happy with our time as my partner hasn't been riding long, so that could have turned into a *** long day. instead I'm left still thinking how awesome that ride was :-) 

lukka race! well done to fruitways for a super course, not too much of anything and the singletrack was awesome as always. Grabouw once again delivered. Got soaked in the last 10kms but the venue was prepared for everything. great day out on the bike :)