Chain popping off

gongmech

I just recently upgraded to a 1x10 with a 32 ring up front and went 11/42 at the rear. The problem is my chain now keeps hopping off my chainring when speeding down bumpy hills.I'm assuming its because I did a conversion and dont have a roller bearing clutch rd. Will a chain catcher work to eliminate this problem?

Yup, chain is probably too long. Clutch derailleur helps as well and not sure if you're running a NW chainring?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

In my experience you can get away with just a NW chainring and a 'clutchless' derailleur and only get very occasional chain 'pop' but make sure the chain length is correct (i.e. the shortest you can get away with). But as mentioned without a NW you will need at least a chain guide.

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

I would go for a chain guide rather than a chain catcher (CSixx makes a pretty one - the plastic version, not carbon), a chain catcher is more designed to work with a front derailleur in place.

I'm also riding 1x10, and with a wide/narrow ring and a clutch-type rd. This works almost all of the time but I have issues when riding in mud - in my case a muddy chain pops off in the biggest gear, probably because the chain 'suppleness' is reduced in muddy conditions.

I used to have this problem with a non clutch derailleur. I realised that I was slightly backpedalling on downhill sections, this would cause the chain to drop. Now I have correct this mistake and the problem appears to have gone away.

I agree that the chain length must be right. If it doesn't look a little tight on the big cog, then it is too long.

If your RD doesn't have a clutch, you're going to need a top guide. Either that or you'll have to stick to gravel grinding.

Yup, chain is probably too long. Clutch derailleur helps as well and not sure if you're running a NW chainring?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

yup running NW. chain doent seem too long

Measured the usual way.