[Event] The Munga MTB 2017

Slowbee

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

with the Munga being such a challenge, within reach of most cyclists, I think alot of folk are entering.

Perhaps we should have one thread where we can all "blog" it together. That way potential riders only have to search for one thread.

What you think Buff?

Since you been out of cycling for a while. 

26ers are gone.  We ride  29ers now .  . . ..  :devil:

Welcome back on the bike. 

Best of luck, we'll be watching,  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Edited by IH8MUD

:eek:  Funny guy, I kill you last :nuke: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't joke, I've started the base miles on my 26er because my other bike is a 27.5 Trance and not suited to long gravel roads :unsure:

Just put a bit more pressure in the suspension. Instant gravel application. 

Going to watch this thread with interest.  My 4th and last epic was in 2011 - after burying ourselves in training for 6 months before the race my partner crashed on Stage 1 and i rode the rest of the race on my own, starting each day at the back - I hated it.  Hung my bike up after the race - absolutely no interest after that - until my daughter asked me to join her on the bike this past December......loved it, missed it, man it's good to be in the saddle again....now Im looking for the proverbial carrot to inspire the training.....Munga might be a bit out of my league but maybe something like Desert dash.....lets see.....

Hi Slowbee, I was hoping to use that original thread as a link to fund raising drive for the Red Cross Children's Hospital Trust and thought it might just be easier for people to find it rather than scrolling through combined threads.

Sorry I missed you thread where you asked. But let's leave it like this and see how it works out.

Hi Buff, sorry about mucking up the plans. There are a few munga hubbers in a similar boat to you, myself included. Wanting to do this ride as a mechanism to fund raising for a charity. It would be a bit hectic, if each of us had our own threads. I know of at least 2 other riders looking into using this event for fundraising.

As an alternative, why dont you start a cycling blog ? You could then use all the social media channels to link into it. Also you would get an idea of followers so that donors could get some idea of ROI etc. I mean you would have to do the same kind of typing and stuff. If you wanted you could just copy and past onto this thread or post updated links. Alot of hubbers have done this with great success.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, so the next report back.

Quick synposis, I pulled out last year because of back and butt pain. Turns out I have back issues.

The past few weeks have seen a fair bit of on and off gym work. Mainly around core exercises together with hamstring and glute stretching. The real problem according to the biokinetist is one uses the back all the time, so it never really gets a chance to recover and rest.

So the gym work coincides with riding. At the moment the back is still tender, usually after a longish ride, but it is much better and anti inflammatories are wonderful things.

I had built up well to doing the argus, which was called off. In building up to this it served as a nice base to test the back and also get some miles in the legs.

We are now shifting out focus to Sani2C. The training for this will be more interval based and focused around hill training and skills training. All of this being dependent on how my back and bum handle things. This weekend I am going for the first 70 km ride on the mountain bike, so it is going to be interesting to see how I do.

The ride will be done on my trusty Titus racer x 26er. But I might shift to training more on the wife's anthem 650 after S2c (she is using her bike for s2c)

Ok. So I am at the biokinetist, who is making me do things, well that should not be done, and I submit myself voluntarily to this pain.

The hip extension moves that someone else watching must be thinking I am practicing for some karma sutra competition. Its just plain nasty !

Anyway - by ffffaaaaaaaarrrrrrrr the worst thing has to be the 25 min on this machine.

http://www.grucox.com/

http://www.grucox.com/Home/TrainerFeatures

I have been on it only twice. And after those 25 min I am close to tasting lunch twice in one go. Man the pain in trying to walk after is terrible. I can hardly take any steps without immense pain in the quads. It is raw sheer hell. Because it involves resistance, you try to stop the pedal stroke. Bliksem its hell. And then the thing pedals backwards as well - so you have to really concentrate.

But on the up side, at least my back is doing better. Bring on the weekend, 20km ride. If my legs make it to then.

In his book, the Great Run, Braam Malherbe, contribute a lot of their success to the use of the grucox machine. They ran some 4000+ km in just over 3 months along the Great Wall of China back in 2006.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The grucox machine is nothing short of brutal hell. But I can really feel the difference it makes.

During the winter season, I may be using the grucox more regularly.