Would you buy this?

bologniusmaximus

I've been shopping for a dual suspension to upgrade from my hardtail. Here's what I wanted:

1. At least 120mm travel (front and rear)

2. 29er wheel size

3. Bike should come stock with a Dropper post

4. This bike is for mainly trail riding and a bit of downhill attempts with some light enduros (60km max)

After that it was looks and taking the bikes for test rides...

In the end I got a good price on the following:

Merida One Twenty 800 (2018 model)

Site:https://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bikes/full-suspension/trail/2018/one-twenty-800-9095.html

Pic/s:

zoom-thumb-picture-desktop-4c968d63145e9

360 degree: https://img.mcg-parts.de/merida-bikes360/2018/ONE-TWENTY_9_800_antblk_MY2018/output/ONE-TWENTY_9_800_antblk_MY2018.html

Now for the nitty gritty:

Price is R36999

Comes with tubeless conversion

Good deal?

Bad deal?

Better alternative?

I need as much feedback as possible.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice bike, well specced. If not that urgent you could look out for bike shops clearing out 2017 stock ahead of new year. Such bikes may come with carbon frames and better wheelsets than this Merida

Have you perhaps seen anything that might be a good alternative?

That's pretty cheap for a decently specced bike. If that is the new 35mm revelation, then go for it. If it's the 32mm version, I would keep looking. Also 69° HA sounds a bit steeper than most bikes in its class. Can't comment on those wheels, but they're nice and wide. My OCD can't handle mixing a RS fork with a Fox shock, and mixing Sram drivetrain with Shimano brakes. But hey, if it doesn't bother you then go for it. At least the GX shifter goes on an adapter directly onto the I-spec brake lever.

That's pretty cheap for a decently specced bike. If that is the new 35mm revelation, then go for it. If it's the 32mm version, I would keep looking. Also 69° HA sounds a bit steeper than most bikes in its class. Can't comment on those wheels, but they're nice and wide. My OCD can't handle mixing a RS fork with a Fox shock, and mixing Sram drivetrain with Shimano brakes. But hey, if it doesn't bother you then go for it. At least the GX shifter goes on an adapter directly onto the I-spec brake lever.

SO yeah the head angle on the 29er is a little bit steep. But from my perspective as long as it's below 70 you could still argue it is slack...

I don't mind the mixing of components, after all those are some good components.

The wheels are probably the weakest thing about this bike, not the rims but the rubber. Apparently it's nice enough, just not as nice as the same level Maxxis tyres. But for now it'll do for me.

I'll find out about the front suspension size. It's a good point I have not thought about yet.

SO yeah the head angle on the 29er is a little bit steep. But from my perspective as long as it's below 70 you could still argue it is slack...

I don't mind the mixing of components, after all those are some good components.

The wheels are probably the weakest thing about this bike, not the rims but the rubber. Apparently it's nice enough, just not as nice as the same level Maxxis tyres. But for now it'll do for me.

I'll find out about the front suspension size. It's a good point I have not thought about yet.

Rubber is not really an issue, you'll upgrade after a few runs once you know how it goes. Those Mtn Kings aren't bad and will serve you good enough if you're doing trail / limited enduro. If the rims are wide then that will absorb alot of the tyres limitations,. Not like Nobby Nic bad and I've run those on a stock bike in some bag situations and lived. Heck, an ibex is R699 and a slaughter is R599. Probably the smallest outlay for the biggest difference.

Spec is good and despite the 'mix' issue (which isn't an issue) that is a very clever and well thought out set of decisions to maximize spen vs parts. The Rev is the badly forgotten part of the RS portfolio. it's been sitting in the Pike's shadow but it's a really good fork. Espeacially if you're looking for all round use. smack a luffkappe or a ramp control in and it's going to be very nice. there is nothing that my Pike does that my Rev couldn't 90% of the time and with bit more of a smile and pop. honestly, spending time setting adjusting an understanding the fork will easily make uo the set and forget pike crew's crowing. Look it's going to get a bit out of shape on big rock gardens but you'll still be able to hit them.

The 68 head angle, reach and seat angle are pretty standard on this trail type bike now and to be honest the short travel 29 is exactly what SA needs 95% of the time in the trail arena. personally I'd invest in a set of offset bushings for £20 and drop that HA by 1.5 degrees and it'll act like a 140mm 27.5. The bushings will make a load of difference for nix. 

Pottie was selling his all carbon YT Capra for R38,000 with carbon rims but you'd wait a while for that kind of deal to come up. there have been some tradition Smugglers about that money and that is a bike of note. There have also been some crazy deals on 2016 / 2017 carbon cambers at spez stores so might be with a look. 

Bottom line: R38K is a good amount to throw at a problem and you're going to come up trumps. I'd have a look at a spez evo, there have been a few of those recently and that is an all-round  fun beast. 

Rubber is not really an issue, you'll upgrade after a few runs once you know how it goes. Those Mtn Kings aren't bad and will serve you good enough if you're doing trail / limited enduro. If the rims are wide then that will absorb alot of the tyres limitations,. Not like Nobby Nic bad and I've run those on a stock bike in some bag situations and lived. Heck, an ibex is R699 and a slaughter is R599. Probably the smallest outlay for the biggest difference.

Spec is good and despite the 'mix' issue (which isn't an issue) that is a very clever and well thought out set of decisions to maximize spen vs parts. The Rev is the badly forgotten part of the RS portfolio. it's been sitting in the Pike's shadow but it's a really good fork. Espeacially if you're looking for all round use. smack a luffkappe or a ramp control in and it's going to be very nice. there is nothing that my Pike does that my Rev couldn't 90% of the time and with bit more of a smile and pop. honestly, spending time setting adjusting an understanding the fork will easily make uo the set and forget pike crew's crowing. Look it's going to get a bit out of shape on big rock gardens but you'll still be able to hit them.

The 68 head angle, reach and seat angle are pretty standard on this trail type bike now and to be honest the short travel 29 is exactly what SA needs 95% of the time in the trail arena. personally I'd invest in a set of offset bushings for £20 and drop that HA by 1.5 degrees and it'll act like a 140mm 27.5. The bushings will make a load of difference for nix. 

Pottie was selling his all carbon YT Capra for R38,000 with carbon rims but you'd wait a while for that kind of deal to come up. there have been some tradition Smugglers about that money and that is a bike of note. There have also been some crazy deals on 2016 / 2017 carbon cambers at spez stores so might be with a look. 

Bottom line: R38K is a good amount to throw at a problem and you're going to come up trumps. I'd have a look at a spez evo, there have been a few of those recently and that is an all-round  fun beast. 

Where would I be able to get the offset bushings?

I've emailed the local supplier about the bike to find out about the suspension and what diameter it is.

I'm trying to stick to purchasing a 29er though, as it seems like it's just easier to get parts for it from my local LBS.

Thanks for all the feedback, if you think of anything else, please let me know.

True, 69° will be fine. I have raced enduro and taken my Giant Anthem X down some nice steep downhill tracks, and that bike has a 71° HTA. Sure it probably would have felt a lot stable on a bike with a 67° HTA, but when you have a dropper you can get your weight far enough back to hit steep stuff. I personally wouldn't go for the offset headset because it will lower the whole front of the bike, BB etc. If you know you are going riding somewhere very steep, just add 5-10psi to the fork.

True, 69° will be fine. I have raced enduro and taken my Giant Anthem X down some nice steep downhill tracks, and that bike has a 71° HTA. Sure it probably would have felt a lot stable on a bike with a 67° HTA, but when you have a dropper you can get your weight far enough back to hit steep stuff. I personally wouldn't go for the offset headset because it will lower the whole front of the bike, BB etc. If you know you are going riding somewhere very steep, just add 5-10psi to the fork.

I currently ride a Trek Marlin 7 which has almost the same HA. Been pushing that bike to it's limits.

Do you recommend then that I leave the bike stock for now?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I currently ride a Trek Marlin 7 which has almost the same HA. Been pushing that bike to it's limits.

Do you recommend then that I leave the bike stock for now?

Yeah, ride it as is. You'll soon figure out what you would like to change depending how you ride and where you ride. For example, a faster rolling rear tyre or maybe a more agressive front tyre.

Also, I think a 30T chainring is stupid with the 50t Eagle cassette. I would put a 34T chainring on, GX Eagle X-sync 2(cold pressed). Just confirm seat stay clearance.

Yeah, ride it as is. You'll soon figure out what you would like to change depending how you ride and where you ride. For example, a faster rolling rear tyre or maybe a more agressive front tyre.

Also, I think a 30T chainring is stupid with the 50t Eagle cassette. I would put a 34T chainring on, GX Eagle X-sync 2(cold pressed). Just confirm seat stay clearance.

Could you help me understand why the 30t chainring is stupid?

Could you help me understand why the 30t chainring is stupid?

Because the range of your cassette is so wide that your granny gear will be so ridiculously easy...I think that's what he means at least...but to be fair you may need it depending on your fitness level. I recently had to upgrade to a 32T from a 30T because the 30T with my 11-46 was not working. So then 30T with 46 cassette ring was my granny gear and that was really easy