Is anyone using road disc brakes at road races?

thisismyotherbike

mmmmm.  Not the issue.

If it was clear as that.....some like Carbon, some don't.  Some do leather seats....some don't.

Point is.  Hate it or love it, you WILL have to buy it eventually.

I have already heard 2 importers of big brands say they are not bringing rim brakes to SA anymore because they need to swing the market.

You don't like the green dress....fine.....but don't take away the trusty jean pant.  

That's just stupid and greedy to sell green dresses.

What I hear from that is: if someone buy a new bike  - he or she will be stupid not to buy disk brakes?

The thing is - almost anyone here can list something that they own and prefer / like, but cant use any more - caused by unavailable components/obsolete standards etc. Which I agree can be a real pity and costly experience.. 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait for the day they start putting dropper post on road bikes so I can really attack those hairpins on Ou Kaapse Weg.

Disc Brakes, Tubeless, 1x Drivetrains... etc. It just seems whatever works for MTB is bound to be made work for road.

What's next, 760mm handlebars? Knobblies?

But then again I do like my Mtb shoes and SPD pedals on my road bike, so maybe there is nothing wrong with it?

Edited by Rookie85

Look at the upside, there will be millions of really cheap top of the range rim brake bikes in the classifieds. Buy those.

I did it with 26ers and made some fast cash selling them to kids and women.Not sure this will be the same though.

Pretty sure there'll be rim brakes around for a while still.

Edited by gummibear

I can't wait for the day they start putting dropper post on road bikes so I can really attack those hairpins on Ou Kaapse Weg.

Sound cool, but only if they don’t stop making normal seat posts and don’t force us to buy droppers!

Look at the upside, there will be millions of really cheap top of the range rim brake bikes in the classifieds. Buy those.

Even Colnago's?

Anyone who has spends a significant amount of his cycling off-road (preferably with Guides fitted) will find these arguments silly.

There really is no comparison when it comes to modulation, control or reliability. I wouldn’t even consider riding any serious multi day event on rim brakes.

Maintenance? Surely discs are even less trouble on the road?

My Bianchi road bike is a rim brake version and I love it but should it ge stolen or smashed (heaven forbid) I will definitely be shopping for something with hydraulic disc stoppers.

Ja... even Colnago's have disc brakes these days!

And some not...will keep an eye on the classifies for some bargains...haha

Im all for new tech, if it makes me faster - clipless pedals, aero/carbon frames, 29er wheels for mtb. I recon 99% of Saffas will be slower on a road bike with disks (or a dropper, for that matter), because it is a couple of hundred grams heavier.

How about this sales pitch "dear John, spend R20000 on this disk upgrade, and ride your next Argus 60 seconds slower". The case for disks is even more difficult on a TT bike - sometimes the brakes are used twice per event: a bit at the turn-around and again after crossing the finish line. Why would you want to fit more expensive, heavier brakes to a TT bike?

Disks are only tollerated by the pros due to the obsolete 6.8kg UCI bike weight limit imo - drop that to 5kg and disks will feature on less pro bikes. (Power meters too, for that matter)

Edited by Christie

Im all for new tech, if it makes me faster - clipless pedals, aero/carbon frames, 29er wheels for mtb. I recon 99% of Saffas will be slower on a road bike with disks (or a dropper, for that matter), because it is a couple of hundred grams heavier.

How about this sales pitch "dear John, spend R20000 on this disk upgrade, and ride your next Argus 60 seconds slower". The case for disks is even more difficult on a TT bike - sometimes the brakes are used twice per event: a bit at the turn-around and again after crossing the finish line. Why would you want to fit more expensive, heavier brakes to a TT bike?

Disks are only tollerated by the pros due to the obsolete 6.8kg UCI bike weight limit imo - drop that to 5kg and disks will feature on less pro bikes. (Power meters too, for that matter)

I don't know man, I can only take advice like that if I know for sure that the guy saying it has at least won a national title in Time Trialing in his/her age category.

;)

Like everything in cycling this to will be the only choice 1 day same with boost hub's on mtb almost every higher end bike is boost now (not that I have ever thought I needed it).

The bike manufacturers need to keep on coming up with new ideas to keep making money.

And they ensure that by stop making the old tech so forcing you eventually to buy new.

Now that you put it this way - within 5 years, 99% of all Argus Saffas are 60 seconds further away from a sub3   :w00t:  :D

But the Argus is so flat that the momentum generated by the extra weight on the flats will carry them up the bumps better.

There isn't a single real hill on the route so a couple hundred grams bike weight gets thrown out the window. 

I would think it would be way safer with hydro discs on argus day so you can stop fast enough to avoid all the pallukas who con't hold their line or ride in a bunch.