Kayamandi Stellenbosch Attacks - Again

Viking2

My teenage son and his mate was attacked on Friday afternoon around 4 PM, 3 guys standing on the side of the road just waiting for cyclists to come past, armed with Panga looking knives. 

Cellphones stolen, a truck driver saw what happened and got involved so the 3 guys ran away before they could steal the bikes.

Another attack took place on Saturday afternoon, friend drove past just after it happened, not sure what was stolen.

There doesnt seem to be much attention or interest from the Police in Stellenbosch, one would think an active police presence would make it difficult for guys like that walking around with that size knife in broad daylight.???

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad your kid is ok.  Hope all is well.

It is a reality happening all over the country and nothing will ever be done about it, ever.

Just have to live with it as a normal part of our lives.

Please report to police (not like they do anything) and also to PPA. They trying to get things sorted and asked for all incedenes to be reported to them as well.  There was another one of the guys here in Stellenbosch (can't remember), either Stellenbosch Cycling or the Trail fund that wanted to know.

https://www.facebook.com/stellenboschfietsry/

https://www.facebook.com/stellenboschtrailfund/

stellenbosch police are useless. My neighbour had his brand new colnago VR2 roadbike stolen from a coffee shop on saturday after the ride. Police couldnt find the police van keys to go look for it, and neither were they interested.

We as cyclists are being limited to some roads in the best cycling city in the country because of useless citizens that think they can do as they please.

Could you perhaps share exactly where these attacks took place?  I ride past Kayamandi on the R304 as part of my commute 

Are you crazy?  Look at all the incidences which have taken place in that area.

stellenbosch police are useless. My neighbour had his brand new colnago VR2 roadbike stolen from a coffee shop on saturday after the ride. Police couldnt find the police van keys to go look for it, and neither were they interested.

We as cyclists are being limited to some roads in the best cycling city in the country because of useless citizens that think they can do as they please.

Yip.  Live with it.

got to get a tracker :) DIY tracking and retrieval.

Unfortunately this is the best alternative at the moment.  More money spent.

Will not stop you being bladed though.

Hi Thorkild

First, glad boys are ok and hope not too traumatised after the incident.

I've been on the receiving end of 2 attempted and one successful attack, all outside Stellenbosch (1 on koelenhof rd and other 2 outside cloetesville).

Called police after successful attack but they never arrived and when riding partner (who was injured and needed stitches) reported it at the police station, they recorded it as attempted theft which is really neither here nor there.

To be honest, I ride to stellies via Polkadraai or not at all.

This should be taken up with the ward counsellor as it must surely have a detrimental impact business (although the bike shop made good money out of the repairs following the attack).

Hi Thorkild

First, glad boys are ok and hope not too traumatised after the incident.

I've been on the receiving end of 2 attempted and one successful attack, all outside Stellenbosch (1 on koelenhof rd and other 2 outside cloetesville).

Called police after successful attack but they never arrived and when riding partner (who was injured and needed stitches) reported it at the police station, they recorded it as attempted theft which is really neither here nor there.

To be honest, I ride to stellies via Polkadraai or not at all.

This should be taken up with the ward counsellor as it must surely have a detrimental impact business (although the bike shop made good money out of the repairs following the attack).

Which side of Cloetesville?  My "perceived" safety on the R44 feels a heck of a lot better than the R304

We have recently been told that Coetzenburg is now also a no-go area. Especially if you are alone. Which begs the question: when are they going to start targeting Jonkers?

It seems to me that the situation in Stellenbosch has grown out of control. It seems to be a free for all.

Edited by Moridin

Yip.  Live with it.

Only if you are not murdered, then you have to die with it like so many already have.

Edited by Mr X

got to get a tracker :) DIY tracking and retrieval.

Where/ how/ what does one do for a bike tracking device? I'd rather give him/ them my bike and get some possible payback later......

I'm sure shortterm insurance companies will start making this a "need to have" on high end bikes.