Convertible Enduro Helmets

Yo-Yo

I have been thinking about one of the new convertible style enduro helmets with the removable chin bar. The Leatt was at the top of my list until seeing it's not DH certified with the ASTM standard. 

Options are the Lazer Revolution or the Uvex Jakkyl Hde. Both certified DH and significantly cheaper than  the Leatt. Are there local shops stocking these? I am most interested in the Jakkyl as it seems to be good in the open face set up as well as the full face and can be got for R2400 from shops abroad. 

Other option is to just upgrade current FF to a Fox pro-frame or Met Parachute - both very cool flowing helmets - and do what I normally do: Strap the helmet to my Pack on the ups & put it on for the descents.  

csm_41080104_b4aea541e0.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been thinking about one of the new convertible style enduro helmets with the removable chin bar. The Leatt was at the top of my list until seeing it's not DH certified with the ASTM standard. 

.....Strap the helmet to my Pack on the ups & put it on for the descents.  

This is what the Enduro guys with the full face helmets do over here.

I can't comment on the Uvex or the Lazer, and I highly doubt anyone is bringing them in locally. 

I ride with a MET Parachute and a mate of mine has the Fox Proframe. The helmet are pretty light and very breathable, so much so, that we don't bother strapping them to our packs, we just keep them on when riding up between stages. Even in hot 30deg + weather. 

With the MET the cheek pads can be removed easily which helps I bit but I don't bother.

Consider also, the MET has a retention system which can be adjusted like a normal helmet, the Fox does not. 

If you are going to strap the helmet to your pack anyway you might as well get a full on DH then. 

It might seem a good idea to go the 2 helmet route with one of the very cool FF helmets for events & shuttles then my normal large cover open face AM helmet for longer days in the saddle. 

Uvex don't bring the Jekyll into SA, so your only option is abroad.

My mate and I bought a pair and he is very happy with his, uses it for DH, Enduro's, Alps etc. Mine I sold on as the fit wasn't great for my big ass head.

I have since bought a ProFrame, and it is a pretty sweet helmet. My main concern was the lack of removable chinbar, but other than some mild heat build up on long climbs it really is a great helmet.

I have a normal 661 AM trail helmet for weekend rides, and use the ProFrame for Enduros' Shuttle Days, DH.

The new Bell super DH also looks quite nice, but think its only available at the end of the year.

I read somewhere that the Leatt chinbar is DH certified but the helmet itself is not...

My mate and I bought a pair and he is very happy with his, uses it for DH, Enduro's, Alps etc. Mine I sold on as the fit wasn't great for my big ass head.

How is it as a standard trail helmet, does function well or is it a trade off? 

The new Bell super DH also looks quite nice, but think its only available at the end of the year.

I read somewhere that the Leatt chinbar is DH certified but the helmet itself is not...

Not to sure about this the first press releases said that the bar 'conforms to the US DH rating' and that it was certified for other standards and now on their site they have dropped that part and jut have it as 'Certified and tested to EN1078; CPSC 1203' which are the standard bike helmet certifications. 

Not to sure about this the first press releases said that the bar 'conforms to the US DH rating' and that it was certified for other standards and now on their site they have dropped that part and jut have it as 'Certified and tested to EN1078; CPSC 1203' which are the standard bike helmet certifications.

Probably find that that is due to SABS meddling. ALL the documentation beforehand was that the bar itself adhered to ASTM, but the rest of the lid didn't. Maybe that was the hangup and it was requested that they remove that as it "could cause confusion"

Maybe.

But all documentation and reviews had it as that before the launch.

Super DH won't be coming into the country. Import only. I'm basing this on the Bell distro's distinct lack of interest in bringing in the Super range in previous years. Edited by Myles Mayhew

NONE of the convertibles OTHER than the Leatt are available locally. Support the guys, and Leatt make amazing stuff!

Leatt is an international success story in MX and MTB sphere without any doubt from R1400 through to R1600 is a lot to pay over the competition. 

Leatt is an international success story in MX and MTB sphere without any doubt from R1400 through to R1600 is a lot to pay over the competition. 

say what?

Their lid comes in locally at R3600 at some places, but usually R3800. Bringing in one from overseas will cost you at least that much (or a very comparable price) for a convertible. Perhaps more if customs gets hold of it.

You're not guaranteed to only have to pay VAT on helmets coming into the country.

Last I checked.... The competition (giro switchblade; bell super; Lazer, uvex) were nowhere near 2k. Except on mega special. And even then they come in at 3k. Only exception is the met, which isn't a comparison to the leatt as it's not a convertible.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

There are a few places running out the Uvex for R2110. We have a sales conference in Germany so I might purchase one there and save on the extra charges. If they do not have stock or if it does not suit my head I think that the Proframe might be the best option as I have a good open face. Is there a local outlet where you can try view the Leatt Enduro