New Look X-track SPD pedals launch

Spinnekop

If I am not mistaken the SPD was developed by Look. and yes I have a set and they are great.

So Look developed a pedal named Shimano Pedaling Dynamics? Fascinating...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Look developed a pedal named Shimano Pedaling Dynamics? Fascinating...

I would guess he is confusing who created the first clipless pedal** with who created the first SPD pedal.

**Cinelli dispute Looks claim of course***

***and in turn Charles Hanson disputes Cinelli's claim of course...

Look were arguably the first company to bring "clipless pedals" to the market under Bernard Hinault most famously, did they develop the idea....that would be the debatable issue.

Shimano definitely did not get input from Look to develop their SPD pedals....  

Don't care about everyone's little opinions and all the drama around it (all other pedals are k@k in my opinion, egg-beaters the worse of the worse, again, my opinion) :ph34r:

Always liked and used/abused Look pedals, will get me a pair (of the new x-track) :thumbup:

TBH I own some S-Track pedals, I loved the engagement and the feel of mechanisim.

I Have ridden SPD and CB pedals before and S-Tracks felt better.

I swopped to flats when I got unfit and walked a lot.

If I had to go back to a cleat would be my S-Tracks till I cant repair them anymore.

Then more than likely id just go to shimano spd again they are proven and work barring the less than awesome clipped feel.

Don't care about everyone's little opinions and all the drama around it (all other pedals are k@k in my opinion, egg-beaters the worse of the worse, again, my opinion) :ph34r:

Always liked and used/abused Look pedals, will get me a pair (of the new x-track) :thumbup:

:ph34r: including Shimano which this is another copy of like ryder etc... and you mean the new look shimano copies... :unsure:

I do agree that the look pedals until now was to me also better than other pedals. I think these will probably not be bad at all but I am not sure if they are in any way an improvement over the s-track.

Edited by s14phoenix

:ph34r: including Shimano which this is another copy of like ryder etc... and you mean the new look shimano copies... :unsure:

I do agree that the look pedals until now was to me also better than other pedals. I think these will probably not be bad at all but I am not sure if they are in any way an improvement over the s-track.

It's an interesting discussion - Look moved to the SPD concept because it was the far more popular pedal.

So is SPD the more popular concept because it works better or because it was marketed better or because about 7,000,000,000,000,000 spinning bikes use them?

Bit of an egg and chicken situation...

I rode ATAC’s for over 10 years. My favorite were my Miguel Martinez Carbon World Champ ones....but, about a year ago I went XT Shimano and to be honest am very happy. No second shoe for gym, no worry about cleats being available at stage races etc. But I loved my ATAC’s.

I've been on ATAC's for some time now, currently the Julien Absalon version. I love them and other pedals I tried all resulted in knee pain (I don't know why), and I just love the float on those things, I never feel like I have restricted movement.

It's an interesting discussion - Look moved to the SPD concept because it was the far more popular pedal.

So is SPD the more popular concept because it works better or because it was marketed better or because about 7,000,000,000,000,000 spinning bikes use them?

Bit of an egg and chicken situation...

I think the issue is exactly that and that perhaps people where moving away from the non-spd brands as to have less fuss when going to the gym etc. (I would if I was going to gym and using their SPD bikes)

So hence they are trying to cash in on markets previously thought to be minority coming into majority in recent times - adapt or get left behind as with everything else.

Whats next??? SPD road pedals for all? What about royalties needing paid to Shimano for the new use of spd? Or is the licence expiring and everyone is now free to copy the design?

Whats next??? SPD road pedals for all? What about royalties needing paid to Shimano for the new use of spd? Or is the licence expiring and everyone is now free to copy the design?

Patent expired about 10 years ago. Thus the plethora of copies on the market these days.

I think the issue is exactly that and that perhaps people where moving away from the non-spd brands as to have less fuss when going to the gym etc. (I would if I was going to gym and using their SPD bikes)

So hence they are trying to cash in on markets previously thought to be minority coming into majority in recent times - adapt or get left behind as with everything else.

Agreed. The "old" Look pedal may or may not have been better than the SPD but if you're losing sales because people want one spin and riding shoe then going SPD is a good business decision.

I'm guessing that sometime so there will be a super budget Look branded spinning pedal. 

Here in Denmark Shimano's biggest seller is the spin pedal.

• 1 month later...

Absolutely happy with my new x-track pedals.

Even Christoph Sauser is impressed... :ph34r:

post-4329-0-97597500-1526549597_thumb.jpeg

Edited by nathrix ® ©™