Concerned BMC owner - JHB

AntonG

This is the 2nd time BMC as a brand are shutting their doors is it not... I remember 5 or so years ago distribution stopped, there were big liquidation sales from the previous franchisee, Velo Life??

Swiss Cycles then opened up... and now it looks like is happening again with possibly a new distributor.

IIRC, before Swiss "opened" it was operating under Velo Life Rosebank...

Velo Life had some "restructuring" and Swiss then opened - same store - different name...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the correct number for Herman, the BMC agent we have cracked frames that need their warranty

Cyclelab Fourways have a number BMC's on display, If they not authorized dealers how do they handle warranty claims.  

What is the correct number for Herman, the BMC agent we have cracked frames that need their warranty

All I have is an email, I was in the process of getting pricing on a seat post 

support@abloc.co.za

Thanks Admin, time will tell... it's such a small niche market that he will only get one chance to get it right.... I personally can't see it happening without the support of a great local bike shop. 

Edited by AntonG

"Abloc’s website contains full particulars in this regard" but their website is under construction and currently contains no information whatsoever, as far as I can tell.

The fact that Abloc is scrambling to build not only a Web store, but a basic website, this late in the game, screams that this wasn't planned very well. My guess would be that things were left until the last minute for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Abloc’s website contains full particulars in this regard" but their website is under construction and currently contains no information whatsoever, as far as I can tell.

The fact that Abloc is scrambling to build not only a Web store, but a basic website, this late in the game, screams that this wasn't planned very well. My guess would be that things were left until the last minute for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I bought my first BMC I sat with Justin for hours. He gave me plenty advice and made great recommendations towards what I want from the bike vs what the bike could offer my ridding style.

He organised a test bike for me and even joined me on the spruit for a ride.... 

At first I thought the SpeedFox was the obvious bike for me, then I rode a Four stroke.

Would I be bold and brave enough to order a new one straight off the internet?  probably not... I simply don't know enough. (dimensions, technology, specs etc)

I know I am just one of one and in no terms represent their entire market share.

Do I buy my groceries online? No - does the rest of the world - Yes. 

Well as Herman was Managing Director of BMC SA and was offered to take over the distribution by BMC then at least they have some faith in him to represent their product.

Does look like the decision was taken late in the game as he is not fully operation.. but hopefully this will be sorted quickly

Well as Herman was Managing Director of BMC SA and was offered to take over the distribution by BMC then at least they have some faith in him to represent their product.

Honest question:

What did the Managing Director of BMC SA do in the scheme of things ?

Where I live in the Parks, BMC is over represented on the morning road or Spruit rides and that is ONLY due to Justin and his approach.

It was not Herman that rode up alongside my going up 7th ave one morning and invited me to join him and his riding mates for a coffee at Swiss Cycles. 

What support did BMC SA give him? Did they assist with Capital and/or favourable payment terms or did they squeeze him until he could give no more?

Honest question:

What did the Managing Director of BMC SA do in the scheme of things ?

Where I live in the Parks, BMC is over represented on the morning road or Spruit rides and that is ONLY due to Justin and his approach.

It was not Herman that rode up alongside my going up 7th ave one morning and invited me to join him and his riding mates for a coffee at Swiss Cycles. 

What support did BMC SA give him? Did they assist with Capital and/or favourable payment terms or did they squeeze him until he could give no more?

Honest answer... I have no idea.  Perhaps speak to Justin as you seem quite passionate about it..... perhaps you know more than you are telling by the sounds of it.

Especially as you seem to be suggesting that Justin was squeezed out.... care to give more insight?

All I have said is that there seems to be some continuation from BMC SA going forward and whilst Justin may have been your personal point of contact, Herman was with BMC Switzerland.,,, which is especially of interest with regard to warranty issues that Alboc have said will be fullfilled.... so should give BMC owners some piece of mind.... even if the full picture going forward is unknown yet.

Edited by shaper

Hey guys

Sorry I'm only replying on this feed now but its been a bit hectic with closing shop etc.

It was not BMC Switzerland or Herman Bekker that was involved with us closing down but more the economic times and we couldn't see a way of digging out of the hole we were in.

In a last effort to keep the business going and bring on an investor we met with Herman to discuss his new business proposal. The offer he was suggesting was a 9% commission on bikes sales. Unfortunately that just means we would not be able to make enough to pay the bills.

We approached Herman to re-look at the model as for my investor to put money into the business to keep it afloat we would need a more decent incentive then the potential for a 9% commission. We suggested that he would need Swiss Cycles as a partner going forward and we were keen to keep pushing the brand.

Unfortunately he felt that it was too late to look into changing his new model and so we decided then it was time to call it quits and close down the shop.

I still love the brand and hope BMC can still grow in SA - but guess time will tell.

To all you currently riding BMC keep it up its a great brand!

Cheers

Justin

Hi all

I received a rather welcoming and pleasant phone call from Herman. 

Herman offered to meet me for a coffee, we decided that a phone call would suffice. 

Herman introduced himself and offered to give me the context/history of events as he feels there has been some unfair misrepresentation/interpretation. 

He assured me that as BMC riders we are welcome to call him directly for any parts/warranty issues. His new website will be able to handle all the queries and will be up and running shortly. 

He confirmed that BMC do not have any local bike shops signed up for sales/support - for now....

If you need a part, you can order it through him and he will courier it to you and or your LBS.

Wishing him all the success with his new venture. 

Hi all

I received a rather welcoming and pleasant phone call from Herman. 

Herman offered to meet me for a coffee, we decided that a phone call would suffice. 

Herman introduced himself and offered to give me the context/history of events as he feels there has been some unfair misrepresentation/interpretation. 

He assured me that as BMC riders we are welcome to call him directly for any parts/warranty issues. His new website will be able to handle all the queries and will be up and running shortly. 

He confirmed that BMC do not have any local bike shops signed up for sales/support - for now....

If you need a part, you can order it through him and he will courier it to you and or your LBS.

Wishing him all the success with his new venture. 

Hi Anton

Yes Herman is a good guy and will I'm sure do his best to help you with your bike.

He is very passionate about the brand and will hopefully have a few bikes shops to deal with in the future.