LeoKnight

100% agree with you.

W2W has been running on the same(simular) routes for 7+ years now....and can assure you they have enough data by now to determine the correct cut-off times. I have been doing it since 2013 + a few pre-rides and Houw Hoek tours which the also use to test routes and avg speeds etc.

You have nothing to worry about

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a bit rough for Day One. The other 2 days is fine. Most, if not all the climbs on Day 1 is before WP3. And if I look at the results for last year, the majority of the field came in at between 5h30 and 6h30. If you leave as part of the last batches at 8h30, it only gives you 4h30 to get to WP3.

PS: It actually makes f_all sense. They then give you 4 hours to get to the finish from WP3, which is the easiest part of the day. Somebody should actually query them about it.

Was this the same for previous years?

Also wondering if this will apply to Ride and Adventure, makes sense for Race.

Looking at the results for 2016 https://wines2whales.co.za/results/2016-results/, it would seem that we would be fine.

:thumbup:

Those times are at WP2. Joh...ja I feel I worked hard to get ready, but my partner is in a little doubt about his fitness so this is where my concern comes in...seeing as how he is worried I am also!

The times for day 2 are as much as 2 hours shorter than day 1, so day 1 is really a bugger then.

Remember that cut-off times are made for your safety!

So, you need to train accordingly so you "qualify" to make it.

Yes, there's a million excuses why you didn't train....but then that's a risk you take on entering.

You don't have an automatic right to continue just because you've paid and are there.

Having said that, I think organisers will prompt you on track (sweepers) if you're in trouble and only stop you if there is a serious problem in making a "decent" cut-off. On finish line, organisers will also take various factors into account when enforcing any cut-offs.

So, overall, if you ride and arrive around the cut-off times, you are most likely fine. And there will also possibly be per case considerations.

Just my thoughts....

Had a look at all the races I completed and my partner in the last year or what, should not have a problem with the cut-off time, excluding any major traffic or mechanicals.

But wondering if there will be something epic about this year's W2W, given then news released today.

Edited by LeoKnight

Bugger, there goes the W2W. I better finish this one. Cape Pioneer Trek is probably next.

Interesting... Looking at how the "flagship" of 3-day races - Sani2C is stuggling to fill its entries in the current economic circumstances I can't imagine there is too much scope for the owners to mess around with the "product" & pricing.

And if they do there are loads of alternatives

Ok packed most of the things I am going to need, and made me wonder.. What are the rules about on bike cameras?  Are they allowed or not as although it is a CSA sanctioned race, and at the Nissan trailseeker it was mentioned that they not allowed.

I've used GoPro mounted on the bike on most stage races. During both Trailseeker events and W2W the CSA official makes it clear that no cameras may be mounted on your chest or helmet. That's it AFAIK.

I've used GoPro mounted on the bike on most stage races. During both Trailseeker events and W2W the CSA official makes it clear that no cameras may be mounted on your chest or helmet. That's it AFAIK.

IIRC you just can't have a camera mounted on the person, but on the bike is fine (according to CSA)

IIRC you just can't have a camera mounted on the person, but on the bike is fine (according to CSA)

Thanks.  Got one of those combined Garmin / action camera mounts, so just curious if I will be able to use it for some snaps during the ride

possibly effect of the travel cost and arrangements you need when doing the S2C? logistics and costs of heading to Cape Town is way easier and cheaper; with a massive pool of riders already based down here to start with.

Interesting... Looking at how the "flagship" of 3-day races - Sani2C is stuggling to fill its entries in the current economic circumstances I can't imagine there is too much scope for the owners to mess around with the "product" & pricing.

And if they do there are loads of alternatives

possibly effect of the travel cost and arrangements you need when doing the S2C? logistics and costs of heading to Cape Town is way easier and cheaper; with a massive pool of riders already based down here to start with.

Yes but again Sani again is closer for Gauteng riders? Anyway can't help but wonder if stage racing has reached it's peak anyway and that we won't see the growth we had 3/4 years back anytime soon. Which would mean it was probably a good call to sell the W2W now...