Fire ....AGAIN! (2018)

Slowbee

It was and still is bad.

Homes burnt down mainly due to the wind speed driving the heat.

In some cases fireballs about the size of soccer balls were flying and when they land they just explode and you have more flames. The wind was so high in places that the fire did not have time to "burn" literally only the little really dry stuff has burnt. The wind would blow the flames out. Then start all over again. This was a HOT fast fire and very patchy. Yet in some places it so slow and intense. One guys house has burnt, but within 5 m his neighbours grass looks like a putting green. Nature can be a right royal cruel lady when she wants.

And the next time you think you will drive to a fire to take photo's as close as possible to see something, anything burning. Up your ziggy!! As far as you can shove it. Actually take two and shove them both.

People with cell phone cameras were more interested in getting themselves published and being the next internet sensation than helping those  in need. Instead of taking photo's you could have saved someone's home. And let not me get started on those "photographers" blocking the road.

Now to try and deal with work, as there is a chance we will be without power as they try fix the grid.

All the smoke has deposited carbon on the electrical lines which is causing shorts and hence the power is out. And of course there are homes with no water.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is all part of this 'I would rather like to see you suffer than help you' attitude of modern day humans.

Kudos for helping people in need. My wife wanted to come and help since she is a registered nurse, but I told her the roads are already blocked from the traffic of curious people, and some that actually went to pick up animals at the shelter.

Because of my Asthma I avoid smoky areas, else I would join those in need to be rescued.

Edited by Moridin

i have seen on the VWS that volunteers can join in the winter months. Seeing we headed for fire season so early is there still a chance that one can join to help keep the line?

i have seen on the VWS that volunteers can join in the winter months. Seeing we headed for fire season so early is there still a chance that one can join to help keep the line?

You need to undergo training

its mostly out, thankfully because alarms went off for a little incident at Cape Point/Scarborough

Friends have lost their entire business and warehouse of supplies.

With no cash they cant pay staff. The staff lived on the premises and have also lost their homes.

It is just devastating !!

Mary Ann Naturals Emporium.

https://www.mary-anns.com/

you can see the videos on their site.

its mostly out, thankfully because alarms went off for a little incident at Cape Point/Scarborough

Friends have lost their entire business and warehouse of supplies.

With no cash they cant pay staff. The staff lived on the premises and have also lost their homes.

It is just devastating !!

Mary Ann Naturals Emporium.

https://www.mary-anns.com/

you can see the videos on their site.

Slowbee

I have a sleeper coach to give, however, I have no way to get it to them. If someone is willing to pick it up from my place here in Strand, they are welcome.

Slowbee

I have a sleeper coach to give, however, I have no way to get it to them. If someone is willing to pick it up from my place here in Strand, they are welcome.

FRIKKEN AWESOME !

When you home ? Will come collect tomorrow during the day or in the evening if that suits?

FRIKKEN AWESOME !

When you home ? Will come collect tomorrow during the day or in the evening if that suits?

I am home the whole day tomorrow, except when I go to pick up the boys at PV after writing their exams. That should be around 10. Else I am here.

Oh, and I will be at the church driving the mixing desk while the guys practice their songs from 18h45 in the evening. But my wife and kids will be here in case it fits you better.

Edited by Moridin

Slowbee

Sorry that we could not chat more. I had some LIVE system issues this morning after a big roll-out last night. You probably noticed the Deer In The Headlights look on my face.  :eek:

Looking across Table Bay from Melkbos it looks like the fires are back judging by all the smoke, what's burning now?

Slowbee

Now I remember your face.

3 things: Paddling, K2 with zebra stripes, Duzi.  ^_^

That should joggle the mind.

Edited by Moridin

Slowbee

Now I remember your face.

3 things: Paddling, K2 with zebra stripes, Duzi.  ^_^

That should joggle the mind.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Blue rock ! Loved paddling that K2 with Mrs Slowbee!

• 1 month later...

Ok, so am back at it again.

The last remaining bit of vegetation on the horse shoe bend up Sir Lowries is just about gone.

Only the second time in my life I have seen them send the water bomber, and this is a "small" fire.

All 3 choppers and the water plane.

All traffic closed. Nice way to end the year.

Guys, just an appeal. If you see glass bottles lying around, please pick them up. This little fire is started by a cigarette or arson, but not glass as it popped up during the night. But most fires are littler related. So just help by picking up the glass bottles.

Ok, so am back at it again.

The last remaining bit of vegetation on the horse shoe bend up Sir Lowries is just about gone.

Only the second time in my life I have seen them send the water bomber, and this is a "small" fire.

All 3 choppers and the water plane.

All traffic closed. Nice way to end the year.

Guys, just an appeal. If you see glass bottles lying around, please pick them up. This little fire is started by a cigarette or arson, but not glass as it popped up during the night. But most fires are littler related. So just help by picking up the glass bottles.

About the only vegetation left on our routes here are on Helderberg, Eden and Coetzenburg. I pray that it still stands when the winter comes. Helderberg will be terrible to ride with Granny's burnt to the ground, like A to Z was burnt last year.

Edited by Moridin