Fire ....AGAIN! (2018)

Slowbee

helderberg mtn burning again.

in the saddle between the helderberg side and the stellies side and running up the mountain into jonkers. 

this is bad news with the wind expected tonight and tomorrow before the rain.

wildfire VCS on the way .... 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Choppers like mad !

Wind tomorrow is going to kill the last bits of veg left.

The remaining pine plantations are also at risk!

Damn, is that any where near the Dark fest location?

Hope it gets put out soon.

Nope. Unless it spreads like a mofo over two mountain ranges.

• 11 months later...

EMERGENCY MESSAGE - Franskraal residents 2019.01.11 @ 13:00
Due to Franskraal wildfire being out of control and spreading fast, the Manager: Fire & Disaster Management has issued an IMMEDIATE evacuation order for Franskraal area.
This message is for your safety, you are to immediately evacuate your home.

1. Gather all family members or other individuals
2. Gather all pets
3. Gather only essential items
4. Be sure to bring essential medications with you
5. Turn off all appliances and lights in your home
6. Lock your home

For your safety, please leave your neighborhood immediately and drive to the home of a friend or family member outside of the evacuation area.

from our NHW

Hermanus CPF Overstrand FIRE Notification 11/01/19 at 15h30 :  there are currently 3 run away fires burning in the Overstrand. 1. Betty’s Bay 2. Gansbaai 3. Karwyderskraal. Update on Betty Bay - sections are being evacuated 2. Gansbaai - Franskraal is in the process of evacuation. 3. Karwyderskraal - the Fire has jumped Hemel n Aarde Road, Camphill Road and Rotary Drive and is burning in Fernkloof Nature Reserve. There are evacuation orders in place.  
The following halls are available for use by those who have been evacuated: Grobbersaal, Gansbaai Tourism Hall,  Sandbaai Hall and Crassula Hall, Betty’s Bay.
Road closed : there is no access between Franskraal and Gansbaai, the R43 is closed at the entrance to Franskraal. The R320 Hemel n Aarde is closed and so is Karwyderskraal. Mountain Drive and Manolia Rd behind the High School is closed.R44 is closed from Kleinmond to Gordon’s Bay. R326 at Stanford is open to exit and enter the area. We appeal to people to stay at home unless. It is necessary to be in the roads. Please follow direction from officials.

My in-laws live in Kleinmond... on the wrong side of the R44, and only one block from the mountain. I can't work out who is panicking more... them or my wife.

My in-laws live in Kleinmond... on the wrong side of the R44, and only one block from the mountain. I can't work out who is panicking more... them or my wife.

Harold Porter was on fire. So which side of the reserve are they on ?

News is the rain has arrived and thankfully the wind died down.

Harold Porter was on fire. So which side of the reserve are they on ?

News is the rain has arrived and thankfully the wind died down.

10Km East from Harold Porter on the R44.

10Km East from Harold Porter on the R44.

any news Frosty ? All ok ?

The guy I know on the joint team says the rain has arrived and wind shifted direction and also dies down a bit

any news Frosty ? All ok ?

The guy I know on the joint team says the rain has arrived and wind shifted direction and also dies down a bit

It is raining but not a lot. Less windy but not calm. They said earlier today the wind was too strong for the helicopters, so it was man and their “beater thingies”... tough conditions to work in.