Fire ....AGAIN! (2018)

Slowbee

Just happen to be chatting to Bibi (Brenton from Trailtech Cycles) on WhatsApp now when he mentioned that they had to evacuate as they're farm is on fire. Sucks big time. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be buggerall vegetation left in the Western Cape if this goes on. We are not even close to the official fire season.

Hopefully the wind will die down tomorrow and give the fire services a better chance of stopping the fire

just getting a quick break and some eye drops

traffic is CHAOS! and the biggest threat to safety. so many people to help but to mnay cars

severl ahouses burnt down including Wandisa's safe house for children

our biggest problem is the animal welfare had an emergency evac with security dogs. people have taken highly trained aggressive dogs  :wacko:

also, so many people where just grabbing dogs and going - hopefully they all come back ! our kennels are almost full.

talk on the street is started at the viewsite, spontaneous ignition through all the rubbish lying about.

wife just home from work, later

post-2696-0-59207100-1510085843_thumb.jpg

the lights on the sort of middle upper left belong to the pump station (white in colour).

and the wind is blowing a gale, just not enough man power to deal with this.

most of the fire line is now past g-bay and on its way to Crystal Pools and Sundbird lodge.

Now its a case of protect the houses.

the fire break  started to grow in winter and had not yet been cut back .....

also spread the word, because the fire is now in grabouw as well, the N2 and the coast road are closed.

These roads are likely to be closed for most of tomorrow in the morning at least!

only way to get from CT to Caledon is via Franshoek and or the n1 down to villiersdorp!

attachicon.gif1.jpg

the lights on the sort of middle upper left belong to the pump station (white in colour).

and the wind is blowing a gale, just not enough man power to deal with this.

most of the fire line is now past g-bay and on its way to Crystal Pools and Sundbird lodge.

Now its a case of protect the houses.

the fire break  started to grow in winter and had not yet been cut back .....

Terrible

How on earth did they not maintain the fire break.Its summer already and everyone is aware of how dry it is.

Thus is a horrible thread, and Mr T, you deserve a medal. There have been a ton of organised burns thus side all to keep the real situation under control. Fire breaks are mandated and you get into huge dwang if they aren't maintained even on private land.

Good luck, Slow, I really hope everyone is safe and sound.

Thanks for the update Slow, it looked crazy last night, that whole mountain was ablaze.

Pic from Facebook, looks like it is as you enter Gordon's Bay from N2 side

post-62386-0-89922100-1510126570_thumb.jpg

Guys, starting a fire with a stompie is highly unlikely. It can happen, but it is way easier for fire to start with glass bottles thrown out of cars or lying next to the road.

I was on the wrong side of the closed road in a truck yesterday, had to go via Franschhoek as trucks weren't allowed via Kleinmond due to roadworks. Eventually parked the truck at 20:30 instead of the usual 5pm. Could see the fire line from my depot and my heart went out to the firefighters last night.

Fortunately the wind is quiet today.

This photo was taken from the dam at Oak Valley.

f407b3817f29a71943fc928e49450d74.jpg

Two weeks back I chatted to a farmer near Botrivier, they already have the firefighter tractor parked and full, and he has a Bakkie unit as well.

Maybe the longer fireseason is part of our new normal.

Edited by PhilipV