[Event] Angstrom Summer Fast One

Face Plant

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Registration is on Friday at Sportsmanswarehouse - The Glen and at the Race Venue from 13H00 - 17H00

There is plenty of parking at the venue but considering the numbers involved there certainly will be some congestion getting in and out 

Which Number Boards will be used?

SASeeding?

Hi NicoR, you will be given a SS Timing board for the race

Thanks for the reply.

Looking forward to the race

Will there be beer? 

At the water points? I hope so  :w00t:

Looking forward to the race, first one for 2018!

I haven’t received a sms or email with my race number? Do we just rock up and collect number board?

I haven’t received a sms or email with my race number? Do we just rock up and collect number board?

That's how I understand it and has been like that all the years I've done it ....

As an aside at the registration they didn't really seem sure what to do when I mentioned we were entering the gravel category, let's see what happens Sunday.

That's how I understand it and has been like that all the years I've done it ....

As an aside at the registration they didn't really seem sure what to do when I mentioned we were entering the gravel category, let's see what happens Sunday.

Cool, thanks Ben. [emoji1303]

Trying out a set of Kenda Flintridge pro 40c tubeless. What a bugger to get them to seal. Spez road rims are difficult to seal and it seems these Axis Elite gravel rims are no different. I'll do a report on the tyres(as well as the rim drama's)

Sometimes I just shake my head ... After the trouble they went to how many gravel bikes turn up? A whole fat 3, my son and I and 1 other speedster that let us in his dust.

Lots of big mouths but a bit short on action guys, DON'T moan when you can't race your gravel bike next time!

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I was there on Cotic CX alongside a guy on a Slate. Started in A, only heard afterwards that there was apparently a separate batch.

Sjoe! Am I flattered or what? Never been called a speedster(I only averaged 20.7). At 62 yrs, speed is only attained in a mineshaft(or on a dark corner in a trendy part of town).I was a bit surprised that I was the only official G-bike to line up at the start of the 38(40)km. Would have enjoyed some company.

The route was not G-bike friendly(it is, after all, a mountain bike race). Grass knobs are not lekker, even for an mtb. Fortunately I have the Thudbuster seatpost that took out about 25mm of impact and the 40mm Kenda Flintridge tubeless tyres (35 and 30lbs pressure) worked well to absorb impacts, and worked especially well in the corners where they gripped nicely. What was apparent was the ease at which I rode up the occasional smooth slope, riding away from mtb'rs. This is where G-bikes have an advantage over mtb but trying to ride at reasonable pace on fast single track was a challenge because of the hidden rocks. Nevertheless, a lot of fun but organisers really should try find tracks with less grass tracks -  or this could become a problem for getting return-riders at future events.

Thanks, organisers, for letting our new category get a good start.

This was my first MTB race ever, great choice for first race. Fast and flat, I thoroughly enjoyed it! Very well organised as well. Did the 40km in C group, perhaps the best lesson is to try for A or B group as on the singles I felt held back quite a bit.

Also, I got there around 6, as I saw talk of long queues, but I feel that was a bit too early, the wait was long.

Thanks to everyone who posted replies here, was helpful to prep.