Fox suspension servicing goes direct

News bot

I know in Cape Town Droo @ stoke suspension is the way to go, but i never get to go into town during the week. Is there anyone recommended in the northern suburbs that would do as good a job?

If you want to spend a little extra, you could always courier it. Maybe ask Stoke what couriers they use

If you want to spend a little extra, you could always courier it. Maybe ask Stoke what couriers they use

I would them to disassemble.. that's ok as I have more work to be done on the bike i'll make a plan in the week.

Just to avoid that traffic....

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk

I would be happy to take it to them,but my son can do it for me if I am in Cape Town

In Jhb its Mikes Bikes for my complete strip service of the the bike and suspension service. 

So basically after every 2nd rear shock service... you've spend as much as a new shock costs?

I'm too poor for this sport.

So basically we were riding spring for 20 years and a bit of grease once a year and you were good to go (That's if you remembered to do it ) and everyone was happy. Now its minor service and major service and no one is ever happy. These new fancy forks are even sticky before they leave the bike shop. I test rode a brand new bike yesterday and the fork felt like a piece of wood. The salesman said that it just needs a service because it's been standing for a while.

Edited by dasilvarsa

So basically we were riding spring for 20 years and a bit of grease once a year and you were good to go (That's if you remembered to do it ) and everyone was happy. Now its minor service and major service and no one is ever happy. These new fancy forks are even sticky before they leave the bike shop. I test rode a brand new bike yesterday and the fork felt like a piece of wood. The salesman said that it just needs a service because it's been standing for a while.

So go ride A rigid fork

• 9 months later...

I use Craig from Bxtreme (0827858666)in JHB - he does the full service including the nitrogen thing - he even sets up the suspension- he is located just off Van Buuren off ramp Bedfordview

I use Craig from Bxtreme (0827858666)in JHB - he does the full service including the nitrogen thing - he even sets up the suspension- he is located just off Van Buuren off ramp Bedfordview

Ok

Me thinks this has more to do with FOX capturing the growing pvt suspension shops business, to harness bigger spares business.

They already dropped their importer in Europe and distributing themselves, which gives them more margin - same thing in the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if their next announcement will be the dropping of Omnico and we have a FOX distribution center here in SA.

A friend sent his fork in recently for a service, they phoned him back and said the stanchions needed replacing and would need to replace the CSU, quoted service and rebuild R 8 500.00. He said no ways just do the oil service and send it back, they refused until he signed an indemnity. Long story short he signed it and they sent his fork back, I checked his stanchions and they got wear but not that bad, been riding for 5 weeks now and it running perfect no oil leaks and it holds pressure.

There are a few pvt suspension shops replacing aftermarket stanchions and steerer tubes, all of which are perfect quality, this results in lost CSU sales for FOX. They also losing business to aftermarket seal kits, the likes of SKF, Enduro etc. Not to mention the amount of aftermarket tuning kits which work better than FOX OEM products.

The salesman said that it just needs a service because it's been standing for a while.

Hahaha!

I had my suspension stand for 4 years - upright - and I did not even need to pump it as it was good to go!

Anyway, I service my FOX front and rear myself and use Motorbike suspension oils with similar spec as the fox oils and they are sharp!!     I always oil my stanchions after a bike-wash and believe the practice is key to good maintenance? 

Jacques from Cogent Industries in Pretoria does Fox shock services and is extremely passionate and affordable. Most of the riders in Pretoria already go to him for shock servicing so I think I will pass on this "offer" by Omnico. :-)

Second that

Me thinks this has more to do with FOX capturing the growing pvt suspension shops business, to harness bigger spares business.

They already dropped their importer in Europe and distributing themselves, which gives them more margin - same thing in the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if their next announcement will be the dropping of Omnico and we have a FOX distribution center here in SA.

This is an Omnico offering, not a Fox one. Previously your lbs had to book with Omnico for a service, you can just book with them directly now.

But I doubt they are gonna be stealing away from the private shops - Robbie in PE, Stoke in CT, and Cogent in Pta, and the likes offer such good service and it's a pleasure to deal with these guys directly.

Would be grand if the middle man can be dropped and we can buy directly from Fox though...

Edited by Grease_Monkey

I know in Cape Town Droo @ stoke suspension is the way to go, but i never get to go into town during the week. Is there anyone recommended in the northern suburbs that would do as good a job?

Louis at Knipe Racing

Louis at Knipe Racing

sorry only saw after I posted it's an old story. But I have only had my Fox forks done by Louis he and his team has a real passion for cycling.

Even with a fork service they still go through the bike ????????????

Edited by Me rida my bicycle